Astragalus.. Herbal ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Jan 2, 2006.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

I took astragalus the other day and became very sleepy.

Do any of you use it or have you used it in the past?

I'm going to try it again, just wanted your input on it.

Thanks.
    K.
  2. LClancy

LClancy New Member

Hi K.,
    I use it and have never had a problem with it. Here's some info on it...http://www.gmhc.org/health/nutrition/factsheets/astragalus.html Maybe it was just a coincidence? I hope so because it may help...as you know, every little bit counts.

LClancy
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

That would be good to take at bedtime then.

I've taken the ground root mixed in water. I enjoyed the taste, like cucumber juice kinda. It caused a bit of a herx once, so I just lowered the dose for awhile. Not sure what it did, didn't have side effects though. I only stopped because I was just overwhelmed w/ too much stuff to take, so stuck w/ jsut things giving me a super obvious benefit.

I'm thinking of encapsulating it and mixing it w/ ginger and maybe olive leaf extract. I have some 500 mg OLE caps that kick my butt to the curb and back from just one dose, even if I taek w/ food, so I'm thinking of diluting them w/ the more inoccuous ginger and astragalus (both have a gentle laxative effect on me that I need).

jeanne
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

thanks all.

I'll try it again on the weekend when I'm not working, to see if it does it again. I may take half a cap instead of a full one.

5. kch64

kch64 New Member

AFter the herxing did you feel better??

Kendra
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

so apparently if you had a turning point in your illness, you must be feeling better.

I have all the symptoms of a qi spleen stagnation under chinese medicine. Thats why I wanted to try astragalus.

I'm not taking mega doses, just one capsule.

Pjsmonster- Are you feeling better now that you had a turning point?

Or worse?

Thks.
    Kendra
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I see you are located in Virginia. So am I. Are you in Northern Virginia?

If so, which acupuncturist are you using. I'd like to go to him/her.

Thanks.
    Kendra
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

bumping
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

I'm referring to this section of my post:

I'm thinking of encapsulating it and mixing it w/ ginger and maybe olive leaf extract. I have some 500 mg OLE caps that kick my butt to the curb and back from just one dose, even if I taek w/ food, so I'm thinking of diluting them w/ the more inoccuous ginger and astragalus (both have a gentle laxative effect on me that I need).

jeanne
  10. kch64

kch64 New Member

I've only used olive leaf tincture, not the capsule.

I bought it because I thought being that it was liquid, I'd have more control over the dosage.

It never bothered me, like your saying it bothers you.

I don't think it would hurt you to mix them. Give it a try and go easy on the OLE.

11. Jeanne-in-Canada

I actually fouond astragalas very gentle, only had a mild herx once when I increased the dose too much.

As for the OLE, I wish I had used a tincture instead, above poster is so right about it giving you control over dosage. W/ the astragalus, I bought the ground root as a loose herb and that gave me control over what I added to water to make my nice "cucumber tasting drink".

Just never dreamed the OLE would be so strong for me. So many people said it was gentle, that it didn't cause a herx. Also, that it wasn't an anti-fungal per se., but that it boosted the immune system. So I didn't even think of the 500mg dose I ordered from Prohealth.

Jeanne