At a loss!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skyeone, Nov 12, 2005.

1. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I'm not really looking for anything, I just wanted to vent a little.

How is it that a person can be with others, and yet be completely alone? I have people all around me, but yet i feel completely abandoned. A few of the people I don't even want around me and yet they try to come over or have me at their house all too frequently. These particular people I have no interest in whatsoever as they do not believe that I have any med probs and blame everything on my personality.

As for the others, they know exactly what is happening with me and help as much as possible. And for that I am thankful!

My biggest **** is with my doc. I have all the symptoms of pernicious anemia and yet she's only gonna test my b12 levels to humor me, she doesn't believe it's a problem. I can't get any straight answers about my health except that my clotting factor is back on the rise. BUT before anything is done about it, I have to go back to my neurologist who asked for those tests to begin with. Life sucks and I am a true sucker in it.

Skye
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I'm totally with you. I'm surrounded by people all the time, but I truly have no one that I can call a friend. I have my family (who all live about 3 hours away) and my 2 fur babies. That's it.

So, I completely understand. I have a roommate who believes that everything is "all in my head." I can't even count how many times I've heard that one. It is very lonely, but I'm of the mind set that it is better to be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not. So I will take my loneliness over compromising myself to appease others or have fake friends any day.

3. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I just wanted to say thank you to you Renae. Not that I'm glad over your situation, but it is nice to know that I'm not the only one in this boat. It's sickening and disheartening to not have anyone believe in you.

Thanks again,
    Skye
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...just wanted to empathize even though I can't offer any real solutions, just a cyber-hug! But I also wanted to say, follow up on that B-12 deficiency stuff, even if you feel your doctor IS just humoring you (and for crying out loud, that test is cheap!). I had a B-12 deficiency I didn't know about, but looking back, I had had symptoms for years, most notably, tingling extremities. I was tested for everything under the sun, had EMGs to look for neuropathy (negative) twice over the years. Nobody ever tested me for a B-12 anemia, and I didn't know enough about it to ask for that test.

My dermatologist actually tested me for it finally, and low & behold, my results showed a pretty major B-12 deficiency. I'm taking B-12 shots now, but to tell you the truth, I don't see much of a difference. I did read that once you mess up those nerves by not having enough B-12, the damage can be permanent.

So I'm just urging you, I guess, to make sure your doctor doesn't drop the ball on this---the earlier you catch this kind of thing, the better.

Good luck & let us know what you find out.

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I've been corresponding with a lady who has lyme like I do. We had never talked on the phone until 2 nights ago.

I didn't realize how absolutely wonderful it was to talk to someone who has a lot of the same issues that I do.

I have a very understanding husband but he can't feel what I'm feeling so to be able to talk to someone who has been going through the same struggles as me meant so much more to me than I would've ever thought.

On another board I'm on (ya'll, please don't take offense for me saying this) they call doctors "ducks." I couldn't figure out why. Then I thought, well, the only thing you call a bad doctor is a quack -- get it! Most folks with lyme and other bacteria/viruses have an awful time trying to get a doctor to find out what's wrong so don't feel alone. Sad to say, its a VERY common problem.

Here's the last thing I'll say --- don't allow self-pity to sneak in on you. Usually, after a good night's sleep, you can regroup and continue to fight for your health. A mentor of mine gave me a great definition for self-pity: Self-pity binds you to the past and won't allow you to move forward. I wish I had learned that years ago.

Now that I've finally got a diagnosis, after 30+ years of searching and many doctors, I can focus on getting well. Keep fighting -- it pays off in the end!

Hugs to you ~~~~~ Sandy
  6. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Thank you to Sandy and Pam;

I guess I should go a little further, now that I have more info from my doc. She has informed me that although all signs point to pernicious anemia, all my doc's(herself, the neurologist, and the hematologist) have ruled it out. They have been testing my B-12 apparently and it has always read normal. So now even though I have all of the symptoms for it, I am really at a loss for whhat is causing my probs. She did test my B-12 again though, jusst to make sure.

Any ways, this was supposed to be a thank you for your support, not a complain fest.

So once agian i say thank you
    Skye