Athletes with fibro/cfids and/or history of epstein barr

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrocyclist, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Fibrocyclist

Fibrocyclist New Member

I am trying to gather up information and experiences from people like me who have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome but who are also competetive athletes, whether entry level athletes or elite.

This is an area where support and research is highly lacking.

I know there must be others like me who participate in some sort of competetive sport to some degree.

Please share your story!
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I've competed in a few bicycle races and ski races (NASTAR) and local ski races. I'm not very competetive, it's just to better my own time, usually.

But the past two years, I'm hard pressed to even get on my bike or head up to the slopes due to my chronic pain.

I know that when I do get out, I begin my sport by feeling like I will throw up, but I take a half a vicodin and keep going. Soon I feel almost normal. Next I get a very powerful sports high, and then I begin to slow down, and by the end, I feel like I'm just pushing myself to even stay standing up. I drive home with the shakes and get into bed and sleep like a baby. Sometimes when I get home, I have the shivers and am so cold I can't get warm usless I get into the hot tub. My whole temperature system is off!

I love my sports and will continue to do them until I can no longer drag myself out there. However, I will no longer compete. I'm just too unpredictable in my performance these days.

What info were you hoping to gain?
    Best of luck,
    Mini
  3. Fibrocyclist

Fibrocyclist New Member

Thanks for the response. Basically there is little to no knowledge/research that I know of, in the area of how an athlete with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome should train for their sport or deal with recovery and the impact it has both physically and psychologically.

I am interested in finding out if there are other competetive athletes like me who are training and competing without anyone knowing what additional struggles we face, and if we can somehow gather up these individuals and start a website or a support group, etc., and lobby for more research studies to be done.

I'm sure our mitochondria does not function efficiently, our VO2 max probably doesn't have the abilitiy to be as efficient as healthy people...etc...etc...that is just the beginning of a long list of where our bodies fall short.

I would like to have a website like ImmuneSupport.com, but one geared specifically for athletes with fibromyalgia and CFIDS.
  4. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Michele Akers the soccer player suffered with CFS for 5 or 6 years. She is on the video "I remember me".

Also, I did hear that Ian Thorpe (an Australian swimmer) was suspected of having it too.

There are other famous people too -Cher, Kathy Lee Crosby, and one of the guys from the Red HOt Chilly Peppers.

I myself was very fit and sporty - not an athlete but very active. I've found it hard not being able to exercise. I'm currently able to walk about 30 minutes a day, which is a huge improvement from only being about to stand for 5 minutes about 4 months ago.

Take care
    Michelle
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

The tennis player, was knocked off the tour for about seven months with CFS. She still has to be very careful not to push too hard in her training, as she can have a flare (like her stomach issue in her Australian Open finals forfeit.)

Callum
  6. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

Hi there cyclist,

I suspect there are a lot of athletes out there with Fibro/CFIDS. My research has uncovered that a lot of type A personalities ie. athletes, corporate business people, high achievers etc. get this illness.

I don't know why.

I do know that if my income depends on sport and my being well, i would hide my illness, deny it or try to push through it as long as I could. I hope you know what I am saying here.

I feel for you because there will be times you want to push yourself but this will result in you becoming more ill. There is also no way to tell how ill, or how much you can push yourself as this changes too.

The only help I can offer is sleep as much as you can before an event and after. This will lessen the effect of exertion.

Good luck

xxx

Kaz