ATHLETES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by oakie, Oct 17, 2002.

1. oakie

oakie New Member

Doctor said that there are more people who are unfit and inactive with FM. Is this true? Any athletes out there who can share experiences on how it has effected them?
  2. oakie

oakie New Member

Doctor said that there are more people who are unfit and inactive with FM. Is this true? Any athletes out there who can share experiences on how it has effected them?
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I don't know what the stats are...but I can tell you...my life has done a 360 degree turn. Prior to CFS and FM...I was a black belt instructor in Tae Kwon Do. I worked out and taught classes 5-6 days a week. I was very fit! Alas, but now I fall in that unfit and inactive group. Hoping that this will let up a bit, so I can slowly and carefully resume my previous level of fitness.
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

time. By the time I was 22 years I had to stop all. First was Ballet at 12, gymnastic, Tennis, then all danceing. Hiking, Canoeing and so on. Now, it's just getting some walking in and warm water hydrotheropy and Chrio now. I have weakness in the arms and legs and with the FMS and CFS I am doing less each year. It's nice to have days when I can get the house vaccummed not too often any more. But, then I did pay for days to weeks afterwards. So for me a big yes. I am no longer able to do what I did but, I am satified whith what I do get done. I am able to be home with my husband and our youngest son. He started preschool and loves it and it's a co op so we go once a month for the 21/2 hours. It is so wounderful to be able to be there with him. An opportunity we charish. They grow so fast.

Gary is perminatly disasbled but, was not an athlete.

Hope this helps some, Kim and Gary
  5. WW68

WW68 New Member

Hello just to give you some information, I was a very very active athletic person before I got FMS CFS at 31, now 34. I boxed,kickboxed(as in sparring in the ring), at one point I bodybuilt, I rode my bicycle, rollerbladed, swam, danced, you name it.....So maybe your Dr. is saying lazy people get this disease, and that makes me kinda mad? Just adding my two sense...Hope you all feel better with time..
  6. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

but I bike 75 miles a week on my recumbent cycle. I take care of 3 small children and am generally quite active. I take my fitness very seriously, because over the years I have acquired endurance, which we all know, is a good thing.
    There are certainly set backs to my routine when I have a flare, but even then, I try to work through the pain, and even if I can only get in 15 minutes, I'll do it and grit my teeth, because a lot of times, it helps. I know I'm in pain without exercising, and if at least during the period I am working out, I happen to feel better as a result, then yay team! (It's like "yer damned if ya do, damned if ya don't").
  7. oakie

oakie New Member

Its nice to know there are people with FM who are still pursuing their passions despite the limitation at times. I will try and do the same!!