Ativan Users what dose are you on?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jun 17, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi everyone

I have been using 0.5 lorazepam (Ativan) for sleeping since November. I also took one during the day and sometimes in the night while I was getting used to the Effexor.

It just doesn't seem to be helping my sleep too much anymore and I don't know whether to up my dose or ask the doc to try something new. Lately I've been taking one at night and one around 3:00 a.m. I guess my system has just gotten used to it.

Anyone else use this regularily? What dose are you on and how has it helped - with sleeping, anxiety, etc. Or have you used it and changed to something else?

Thanks a bunch.

Sue in Ontario
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I haven't used Ativan on a regular basis for that very reason; one can become dependent on it and one would need to increase the dose. I use 0.5 mg on a PRN basis only and so far,it is working.

I would suggest that that you speak to your Doctor about trying something else like Imovane. It is very safe and there is much less risk of dependency.

Good luck; I know how difficult it is when you can't sleep.

Kathy.

3. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I take the med-Remeron,for sleeping,and nausea.

Ativan .5mg, when needed.

Take Care!!
    Jordane
  4. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi,

I take the smallest dosage (can't remember what that is). I take it at night. My psych prescribes it for me for anxiety and insomnia. It really helps for both issues.
  5. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I am currently taking 0.5 (1/2 tablet) when needed. Its not everyday, just when I have anxiety, pain or need something extra to sleep. I am taking Simply Sleep by Tylenol and that seems to help.

I don't want to become dependent on the Ativan. One prescription (90 tabs) usually lasts me 5 months.

Try upping the dose to 1mg. That might work!

Dawn
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and nerve pain...i just had to call my pshychaitrist to ask if itis ok to up the ante..he said yes...

jodie
  7. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

Hi it is addictive and be careful. I would discuss this with your doctor and also what you are comfortable with. I don't like to be dependant on sleep meds. When I couldn't fall asleep I would get anxious. I am so glad to be off of it, I can now fall asleep again on my own.
    Good luck to you. Mom3
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My DSH has been taking Ativan (lorazepam) for several years to calm anxiety. He takes 0.5mg two times a day. He loves it. He was the same at first he took one pill but needs the two.

Anne Cromwell
  9. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I've been taking .05 mil. Lorazepam for over a year now. It is the only med that has worked to help me sleep, and I've tried several.

I asked my Dr. about becoming dependent on it, we decided it was better than not sleeping at all. I have MS and Fibro and both cause insomnia. I haven't had to increase, but If I ever do, it will be worth the sleep to me.
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for all of the advice.

I will ask my doc when I see her next week. I don't want to get addicted to it, but it is the only thing that has helped my anxiety/sleep.

For some reason the klonopin doesnt' seem to agree with me, my vision gets blurry and I get a rash on my face.

Imovane is ok, but I never really felt like I slept with it and the metallic taste - yuck.

Thanks again,

Sue in Ontario
  11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My Dr. sent me to a clinic (later learned it was for pyscos!!!!!) for 5 days. It miust have been a high dose as I have no memory as to being there, no memory of Dr. and no memory of the time after i came home.

Hideous!!!! Have no idea of dose.

joan