Ativan withdrawal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kardog, Dec 9, 2002.

1. kardog

kardog New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for weaning off of Ativan? My new psych. wants me to get off it and switch to Klonipin. I've cut back to 2mg a day and have felt lousy the last couple of days. How much and how fast should I reduce my dose?? Thanx....
  2. kardog

kardog New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for weaning off of Ativan? My new psych. wants me to get off it and switch to Klonipin. I've cut back to 2mg a day and have felt lousy the last couple of days. How much and how fast should I reduce my dose?? Thanx....
  3. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

You really want to listen to what your doctor instructs you to do.....

I went off Ativan myself (was only taking a small dose) and did experience withdrawal

I am now on Klonopin and it is definitely gentler to your system.
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Some of us with these disorders are very sensitive to the introduction and withdrawal of meds. I have a wonderful Doctor, who understands this, and instead of the normal route, usually prescribed, is much more cautious, making changes in lesser increments.
    He often has me cut pills in fourths if neccessary---and will take a couple of weeks to wean and change.
    Try a very, very gradual change. It may take longer, but definitely is kinder to your system.
    Karen
  5. kardog

kardog New Member

Thanks for the info..I think I was trying to cut back too fast. I'll try halfs and the quarters over several days. I guess i was in too big of a hurry to stop.

Kardog
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have written much on this in the past, can you search for the messages, I had a really serious addiction to benzo's and went thru a very structured program to get off them, it was very hard, I do not have the stamina to type it all in tonight, I am sorry, I would be happy to talk to you though, my email is onthegreen@owt.com, let me know if I can help, a lot of people here have dealth with that issue, don't give up please.

Jaci

[ advertisement ]