Ativan worries

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Apr 14, 2007.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I have been on Ativan 1 mg for 6 months just so I can sleep and stay asleep for at least 6 hrs. a night. I started w/ just taking 1/2 of the pill because I hate taking medication. I still woke up at 2:00 am. So I went to the full 1 mg pill as prescribe by the doctor. I can fall asleep and stay asleep. The terrible headaches go away and so do the horrible body aches like flu symptoms. I can function with sleep. I never take a pill during the day and I don't find that the one pills makes me depressed. So my real question is?????????? How long does a person have to stay on meds to sleep and will we ever be able to sleep normally again????? AND will I have to increase the dosage if the body gets accustomed to the 1 mg for any length of time? Warm milk, relaxation tapes just don't work!!! Thanks for your help on this.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, I finally sleep after 5 years of non restorative sleep. Nothing worked but the Ativan....[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  2. momblue

momblue New Member

I don't know if I am the right person to be answering you or not, but here goes: In my experience, the meds will stay in your system for about 1-2 weeks after you stop taking it. Then, my sleep would gradually get worse. Sorry! Hopefully you won't have that experience!
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A personal, non-medically-educated thought here. Even though warm milk and relaxation tapes don't work by themselves, they might work in conjunction with the Ativan to help keep it effective. I also think that people who talk sleep drugs still need to practice good sleep hygiene.