Atkins Diet - results from American Heart Assoc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rozmund, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Heart Association downplays Atkins diet report.

The American Heart Association (AHA) has advised caution in interpreting recent findings of a study of the Atkins diet. The study, performed at Duke University, involved 120 volunteers who were randomly assigned to either Atkins diet or the AHA Step 1 diet (30%-fat) diet. The Atkins dieters reportedly limited their carbohydrates to fewer than 20 grams a day, with 60% of their calories coming from fat. After six months, the Atkins dieters lost an average of 31 pounds, compared with 20 pounds on the AHA diet/ Total cholesterol fell slightly in both groups, but the Atkins group had an 11% increase in HDL ("good
    cholesterol) and a 49% drop in triglycerides. On the AHA diet, HDL was unchanged, and triglycerides dropped 22%. [Westman EC and others. Effect of a low carbohydrate ketogenic diet program on fasting lipid subfractions. Circulation 106(19)SII:727, 2002] In response to these findings, the AHA cautioned:
    *The study is very small, with only 120 total participants and just 60 on the high-fat, low carbohydrate diet.

*This is a short-term study, following participants for just 6 months. There is no evidence provided by this study that the weight loss produced could be maintained long term.

*There is no evidence provided by the study that the diet is effective long term in improving health.

*A high intake of saturated fats over time raises great concern about increased cardiovascular risk. The study did not follow participants long enough to evaluate this.
    *This study did not actually compare the Atkins diet with current AHA dietary recommendations. [American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions. AHA Media Advisory, Nov 19, 2002] For further information connect to the americanheart. org.[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2002]
  2. Rozmund

Rozmund New Member

Heart Association downplays Atkins diet report.

The American Heart Association (AHA) has advised caution in interpreting recent findings of a study of the Atkins diet. The study, performed at Duke University, involved 120 volunteers who were randomly assigned to either Atkins diet or the AHA Step 1 diet (30%-fat) diet. The Atkins dieters reportedly limited their carbohydrates to fewer than 20 grams a day, with 60% of their calories coming from fat. After six months, the Atkins dieters lost an average of 31 pounds, compared with 20 pounds on the AHA diet/ Total cholesterol fell slightly in both groups, but the Atkins group had an 11% increase in HDL ("good
    cholesterol) and a 49% drop in triglycerides. On the AHA diet, HDL was unchanged, and triglycerides dropped 22%. [Westman EC and others. Effect of a low carbohydrate ketogenic diet program on fasting lipid subfractions. Circulation 106(19)SII:727, 2002] In response to these findings, the AHA cautioned:
    *The study is very small, with only 120 total participants and just 60 on the high-fat, low carbohydrate diet.

*This is a short-term study, following participants for just 6 months. There is no evidence provided by this study that the weight loss produced could be maintained long term.

*There is no evidence provided by the study that the diet is effective long term in improving health.

*A high intake of saturated fats over time raises great concern about increased cardiovascular risk. The study did not follow participants long enough to evaluate this.
    *This study did not actually compare the Atkins diet with current AHA dietary recommendations. [American Heart Association Statement on High-Protein, Low-Carbohydrate Diet Study Presented at Scientific Sessions. AHA Media Advisory, Nov 19, 2002] For further information connect to the americanheart. org.[This Message was Edited on 11/26/2002]
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have been on the Metabolic Syndrome Diet for 2 months now,which is a bit less restrictive than Atkins, but along the same lines.
    My triglycerides have come down by 174 pts. and my cholesterol is down 40 pts. My HDL is up 4 pts. However, my LDL went up another 16 pts. These are non-fasting numbers, so my actual improvement may be greater. I'm having a fasting test done next week. I have also lost 17 lbs.
    My numbers are still very dangerous, but they are improving, so I am sticking with it. For those of us who can't tolerate the meds, diet is the only game in town.
    Klutzo
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've always believed this diet was better for us than most others and this just proves it. Long term, you would increase your carb intake, so it wouldn't be so strict. Down to the basics, this is God's diet...real foods, real meat, real vegy's and real fruit in season. No processed foods in boxes or bags. Nix on all sugars except for whats in fruits and honey. You just can't beat common sense.

Good for you Klutzo! You keep on doing what you are doing and you'll see even more improvements!

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2002]
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I just got a suzzanne somers book which is similar. Funny that article with all its clauses, if the study had gone the other way, it would be no problem for them to say "see, we told you so - all 120 - for a whole 6 months"
  6. HiFive

HiFive New Member

This is God's diet. Why would tell us it's okay to eat meat if it was harmful to us?
    My mindset is changing about the last few decades of tortured eating low fat/low cal.
    I'm am on day 10 of Atkin's. My jeans that were tight when I started are loose on my body now and I haven't been hungry all the time. AND when or if I do get hungry....what's the solution? EAT SOMETHING!!!!!
    I am amazed! My skin feels better, the ibs is subsiding, I'm losing inches, my husband likes the food I cook. I'm actually looking forward to the Thanksgiving meal!
    I made a deep dish pizza (low carb) a couple of nights ago. It was so good I made me wanna go slap somebody!!!!!!
    My hubby said it was the best pizza he'd tasted! And he is the food critic from hell!!!! I am just beside myself!
    Have I said enough?
    pam
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

This is really great that the high protien way of eating is working for you! I find that my mind gets clear as a bell and my energy levels soar! Last night my daughter that is visiting from SC wanted these stuffed pork cutlets, so I made them, along with potatoes and corn. Afterwards, it was like a fog took over my brain and I got so sleepy and icky feeling. My stomach felt a little upset. If I had eaten meat and a salad and vegy, I would have felt just as good AFTER eating as I had felt BEFORE eating. This just keeps reinforcing my thoughts that the Atkins way of eating is the only way for me!

Go ahead Pam, SLAP someone!! LOL!!! Sometime I wanna do it too, but it's usually when I have PMS. :)

Marilyn :)
  8. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

I have been trying to adhere to high protien, low carbs and have lost almost 50 lbs since May, it has been slow going and I have to be careful not to let my blood sugar drop too low. But it really is easy to follow, except during PMS, I was surprised at the carb content in some things.....I just read labels. My bood pressure is on the low side, and all my blood work came back in the low normal range, so all is well for me so far.....

Yall have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are doing the grandparents homes....yes homes....2 dinners...argh....gonna be a tough day to follow low carbs, all those potatos and pies !!!

HUGS
    Tamara
  9. HiFive

HiFive New Member

That's one reason I am undertaking the Atkin's way of eating. I have read in several sources that low carbing is the best plan to get hypoglycemia under control. The carbs are what keep our blood sugar on a roller coaster.

Yes Marilyn! I have found too that I do not get the overwhelming fatigue after eating. I used to dread having to eat because I knew it would make me feel sooo bad afterward. I thought that was just my life and I would have to learn to live with it. Feeling good is much better!
    Of course there is STILL the PMS...hehe but even that doesn't seem as bad as usual...hmmmm
    I feel like I've discoverd the New World!
    pam
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've lost 22 pounds and my BP has fallen from high/normal to low/normal and the normalization of my BP happened in 8 days on the diet! I will have my cholesterol tested when I get back home and will let all y'all know the results.

Love, Mikie
  11. selma

selma New Member

You've inspired me again to eat the meats. I've been trying to gain weight so eating carbs. But, i'm soo hungry all the time. Also worried about sat. fats.
    Dang the carbs. I do feel better with less sugar/carbs.
    Happy Thanksgiving All. Love and huggs, Selma