Atkins diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by courtney5771, Aug 18, 2003.

1. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Hello!
    Is there anyone else on the atkins diet? I just started and it is hard not to eat carbs. Has it worked for you? Have you lost weight?

Have a great day,
    Courtney
  2. CrazyHorseLady

CrazyHorseLady New Member

Hi Courtney.
    I started Atkins on July 10th and as of August 14th I had lost 11 pounds. I do a combination of Atkins/Somers. With the meds I take tho I have to also watch calories as well as carbs...my blood pressure medicine is a beta-blocker (well known for weight loss resistance) and my elavil (amitriptilyn (?)) is also known for weight loss resistance. Needless to say 11 pounds was quite an accomplishment ! Investigate your meds and make your decision what plan would work best for you. I'm a carbohydrate addict so I HAVE to stop eating them. I love meat, chicken, pork, seafood, eggs, etc. so either of those plans work well for me inasmuchas I don't feel really deprived when I can have whip cream !! Or bacon....or a big juicy steak....I have 25 more pounds to lose and then I might take a hiatus for a while (but NO carbs) and go back for the next 25 later. Good Luck !!
    CrazyHorseLady
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After two weeks with almost no carbs, you will lose your craving for them. You can slowly add healthy carbs after the first two weeks.

Love, Mikie
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

After you go without carbs for awhile, you don't miss them at all. I started Atkins May 9, have lost 24 lbs, and have now added fruit to the diet. I still don't do processed foods or sugars and don't think I will. I used to be a big-time chocoholic and now I couldn't care less. I have two boxes of Russell Stover dark chocolates sitting on a bookshelf in our bedroom and I'm going to give them AWAY!!

Marilyn :)
  5. courtney5771

courtney5771 New Member

Do ya'll exercise much? It's hard with FMS- everytime I try to I feel horrible the next day.

Hugs,
    Courtney
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If you have a treadmill, just walking on that every day will do wonders for your strength and stamina and will not stress you out or hurt anything. If you're real sedentary you'll have to start out at 5 mins at a time, then increase it to 10, etc.... I eventually got up to 45. I have a small tv at eye level by my treadmill so I don't get so bored. I think I payed $250 for mine on sale and it's a godsend. I can't go out and walk because if fatigue hits me hard, and I can't walk anymore, then I'm stuck away from home and in a panic. But if I'm at home, it's not a problem and I feel safe to keep going as long as I can. I haven't done this for a few months now and I can sure feel it. I need to get back in the swing of things, but due to thyroid problems, I have zero stamina and very weak leg muscles....we're working on it with the doctor, and when I get straightened out I'll be back on the treadmill.

7. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I am at our beach house and don't have a scale but I feel a little smaller, less bloated.

Big problem is constipation, maybe I'd lose more if I could get rid of it! I don't dare take my husband's Metamucil because of carbs 5 g per serving, the magnesium constipation stuff from the health food store doesn't work for me...Help!

I love eating cream cheese on Atkins and cheese in general. I had a salad last night but was hesitant to eat the butter lettuce and tomatoes. I am highly resistant to weight loss.

I do some walking and yoga, not much though.

I really hope this works, I am so tired of this extra 20 pounds.

A friend (male) just lost 20 in about 3 months on Atkins and he continued to drink wine during induction. I'm not though.

Suzanne Somers new book has some great recipes, it's very similar to Atkins.

Hollie
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It's typical to only have a bowel movement once a week on the Atkins diet, so maybe you're not really constipated after all. When you eat REAL food, your body keeps it!

9. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I have never heard that before. My husband has been worrying me to death, telling me if I don't have regular bowel movements I must be really sick, etc., etc.

I've always leaned toward constipation but even worse now.

Is this what Atkins does to you? I've never read this in Atkins books.

Thanks,

Hollie
  10. Godslove

Godslove New Member

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my experiences with Atkins. I've tried the diet twice and both times (between 8-10 days)I would get such awful anxiety and was very cross with my dogs and everyone around me. I'm a very easy going person..very affectionate and loving..so this is hard on both my family and me. I don't know why it affects me that way but it does.

I had to discontinue the diet or live on xanax (I don't want to do that). The anxiety is really that bad!

Does anyone know why this would happen? Maybe it's my body being difficult because it doesn't get the carbs it's used to getting. Any ideas for staying on the diet would be appreciated or at least an idea why my body reacts this way.

Blessings,
    Wanda
  11. Godslove

Godslove New Member

Bumpity bump.....
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Wanda, I have constant anxiety if I eat processed foods. I have almost zero anxiety when on the diet. Did you mean that the anxiety hits you between the 8th and 9th day?

Hollie, I don't recall where I read it, it's been a few years ago, but I do remember it talked about the Atkins diet and fewer bowel movements. My MD also supported that idea when I asked her about it. Look at when we feed our dogs the really
    good food, the expensive stuff, such as IAMS, and they have fewer and smaller bm's....feed them the generic dog food and
    they dump a couple of times a day, showing that all the food they are eating is going right through them. If you're sticking to the Atkins diet, not only are you eating much LESS food, but it's good food that your body actually is using and not shooting right through your system. Tell hubby that if he's having alot of bm's, then he's eating the wrong food and wasting his money at the grocery store! LOL!

Marilyn :
  13. Kim

Kim New Member

RE Anxiety - Perhaps you're consuming a food you have an allergy or sensitivity to?

BM - If you dring plenty of water, take enough magnesium, and eat fiber (I found soy butter with 6 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber....net 1 gram) you will have a daily bowel movement on Atkins. Also the more you walk the more "regular" you'll become. I feel 100% better when I have two BM's a day....not to mention my flat stomach!!!

Also the Atkins Bars have 7 - 11 grams of fiber each!!

Best wishes

kim
  14. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I was a crabby, whiney, anxious mess while my body tried to get rid of its carb addiction. It was definately like a drug withdrawl. I had to fight it out and after a few days, it went away. I am glad I stuck with it. I feel so much better and way more in control of my eating!
  15. patsull

patsull New Member

Hi Courtney,

Yes, I am on the Atkins diet and it does seem to work for me. I am also walking between 3 and 4 miles per day, 5 60 6 days a week. I am sure all that walking helps as well. I must say I feel much better and I have tons of energy. My blood sugar is totally normal (how could it not be when you don't eat carbs?) I am on the beginning phase of Atkins which is the induction diet phase. Your carbs are extremely limited (20 carbohydrates per day) and I am dropping the weight. Given all the rich cream and butter that you are allowed to eat, I am concerned about my cholesterol but any of the Atkins books that you read swear this diet helps cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar. I don't know but I do feel much better. I think it is hard for Americans to eat this way because our diet is soooooo carb based but it is definitely worth trying to see if it works for you. Good luck.
  16. lmn

lmn New Member

I have tried and tried to cut out carbs but have failed miserably each time. I promised my 15 year old daughter, who is trying out for the field hockey team, that if she hangs in there and runs everyday, (something she has been dreading), then I will stop eating carbs. Now that I'm reading your posts, I understand it's going to be hard, but you all have given me hope!
    Thank you!!
    lmn