ATKINS PROGRESS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kim, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

After a week and a half on Atkins (I didn't start with strict induction because I am eating nuts and soy butter) I've lost a few pounds and my intense craving for carbs has been reduced.

The most positive benefit so far has been an increase in short-term memory and cognition.

I only wanted to lost 5 - 7 pounds so I'm more than halfway there. I'll be curious to see if my PMS symptoms are as bad. This week should tell!

Best wishes to my colleagues in low-carb living!

kim
  2. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

That's progress! Good work!
    Madelyn
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

Can you tell me what is the difference between the Atkins weight loss program and the Suzanne Somers diet? I know several people who are on the Somers diet and have lost a lot of weight. I know I need to get started on one of them, so would like your opinion as to which one is the better of the two.

Thanks,
    Dara
  4. Kim

Kim New Member

There's a thread somewhere here that details hers compared to Atkins. Atkins is more restrictive during the first two weeks but that really gives people incentive because the weight comes off more quickly and calories are not restricted. I think hers is just a modified version of his as are many of the new low carb diets.
  5. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

diet, but sister is...our endocronologist said that since my sister was insulin resistant that she preferred the suzanne sommers diet...for her and her patients that just plain needed to lose weight...my sister says the difference is that cannot eat nuts on suzanne sommers and that fruit has to be eaten separate from other things by several hours.. also i think you can eat some carbs but not with protein....etc. so eating food in different combinations so it won't turn into sugar....

well, i didn't offer much...but have fun dieting...
    my sister who has a lot to lose lost 27 lbs in the 1st month and her daughter lost 23...same diet...

take care crissy...
  6. roro

roro New Member

And this is the answer to all my years of dieting. I struggled with dieting all my life. I started when I was 9, did weight watchers for 25 years off and on, yo-yo'd the whole time. I believe the whole world is in denial about sugar addiction, and sugar is a drug, not a food. I went from a size 16 to a 6 in 8 months, and been maintaining for 2 years now.
    Atkins and protein power are the best, because of ketosis. When in ketosis you have the metabolic advantage of being able to eat more calories, so I am never hungry. All other diets are just calorie-based, you lose because you eat less calories, and for me that equals starvation. starving myself is the last thing my body needs when it is trying to get well. Meats, dairy, and vegies have all the vitamins and minerals you need. grains and sugars are just empty calories void of nutrition. They are OK for people who need the extra calories for energy, but not for someone trying to lose.
  7. shedevil13

shedevil13 New Member

Kudos!

I have had CFS for almost three years that of which took two years to prove it to the Doctor. I started doing Atkins back in 2001 on a tip about the not feeding the EB Virus with sugar. So after cutting out the sugar and flour, my short-memory has improved significantly.

But my body still ached and after taking VIOXX two months, there is no way I will take that stuff again due to the psychological effects that it had the second time I used it.

I cut out the aspartame totally after reading that it has alot of the same symptoms that the CFS had and since March 2003, I have rarely had an ache or pain in my hips, knees, back or shoulders. How wonderful. The doctor says it is that the soda has alot of acid. But I think it is the aspartame not the soda itself. I never had a problem with regular pepsi (except for gaining weight) but once I started drinking diet this and eating no sugar (aspartame or sweet n low, etc.) They originally thought I had MS or Lupus. Imagine that now!

My energy has improved significantly and I don't have to sleep 18 hours a day! I've lost a few pounds but mostly I do Atkins or a modified version because it has helped me to regain an almost normal life. Not quite back to exercising but I have started swimming and a little walking. The best part though has been improved short-term memory and concentration and speech.

I'm not a babbling idiot anymore. (that is up to the listener I suppose) :)
  8. Kim

Kim New Member

I've usually eaten very healthy during the past 10 years but never watched my carb intake. Sometimes I'd have carb binges and eat three or four hot fudge sundays or 12 toll house cookies with milk. Then I would continue this for days at a time! Even though I've never weighed over 120, when I ate like this, I became so obsessed with food I would eat bowls and bowls of cereal and fruit to try and satisfy my cravings. I'd make these elaborate smoothies with cups and cups of fruit, too. I did usually stay natural, even with the ice cream but my daily sugar content was off the charts.

Now with Atkins I'm not constantly hungry. I still love sweets and eat Atkins Advantage Bars.

kim
  9. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

atkins bar and other stuff at good prices? i have been on it for about 4 days and it has reduced my pain dramatically.
  10. Kim

Kim New Member

I found Walgreens to be the cheapest place for Atkins products but most of them don't carry the variety. Go to the Atkins web site and you'll find stores in your area.

kim
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just bought a box of Atkins Decadence bars on Ebay. Good price, but then I get stuck with shipping. I checked our stores here and they didn't carry them, so I didn't have a choice but to shop online. I also see where Atkins has ice cream out now, called "Endulgence". I'll have to watch the stores and hopefully they'll get some in.

Marilyn :)