Atrial Septal Defect

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mdjaj2231, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Hi everyone.

Anybody ever heard of this? I may have it and need an endoscopic ultrasound on Friday to find out. I was referred to the cardiologist b/c I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and have been more short of breath than everyone else when I exert myself my whole life.

It's a small hole in the heart which may or may not require surgery.

I've been told I have mitral valve prolapse for years, but the cardiologist told me he saw nothing to back that up.

Any experience you guys have with this would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

This is a hole betweebn the 2 upper chambers of the heart. Often it is closed in children but it can go undetected into adulthood. It is usually suggested that it be closed once a diagnosis is made. It can contribute to recurring infections, chroninc respiratory problems, decresded exercise tolerance among other things.

These days the repair is much simpler than in the past where open heart surgery was required. Now, they do it in a radiology or cardiac catheterization lab. A small device is inserted via catheter and the hole is plugged. The recovery time is minimal and it's done.

Good luck with the ultrasound Friday and let us know how you are.
    Kathy
  3. mdjaj2231

mdjaj2231 New Member

Kathy,

Are you in the medical profession? I will let you know Friday. I am a little freaked out, but will hope for the best.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Yes, I worked for quite a few years on a pediatric cardiology unit. It was interesting and I loved it.
    All the best and I will be interested in the results of your ultrasound.

Kathy