Att:Dog Lovers,Need elevated feeder 15 in.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by claudiaw, Oct 11, 2007.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I saw one on E-bay(already checked petsmart/petco)that is stainles ateeel and adjustable. I was worried it wouldn't be stable. haven't heard back from seller. Has anyone used this type? I'm afraid on the highest height (25in) it might topple oer. He's a "happy" eater.:)

I love the wrought iron, but they're expensive (E-bay again).

I don't like the plastic, bulky ones. I have a great room so the kitchen is in the open. i have a tuscan/country decor.

My dog had cancer,I pray it's gone for good, but I think adjustable is good just in case, then I can adjust to my other dog's height. But I don't want to go there, trying to stay positive. he's my 'baby" I have FM and his company is wonderful

Anyway, I want something that will blend in, be inexpensive, but sturdy.

i also don't like the H bar feeders, they look like a workout bar.

Thank you in advance for any responses.
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

What kind of dog and where did he have the cancer removed?

I don't used a raised feeder because wild dogs/wolves eat at ground level. I would be more likely to teach the dog to eat from a down position if reaching the food from a sitting or standing position is an issue.

I've seen several of the raised feeders and haven't heard of any issues in using them. If you decide to get one would go to the pet stores and check them out to see what you like and then shop on ebay if you are an internet shopper or at

3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

My dog thinks he's in trouble if I tell him to lay down first. he won't eat that way. he just look's pitiful, until he can stand again.:)

I tried to find that adjustable stainless feeder, no place had it. I wanted to check it out to see how stable it was, but can't find a store that has it.

There's a wrought iron one for 50.00 for 15in, not too bad, compared to what I've seen so far in pet stores. that's why I need to sell my CPAP, in case he need's more teatment.

His type of cancer is very unpredictable and expensive to treat.It's mast cell cancer( he's about 7, pit bull mix) I pray it doesn't return. He's my lap dog (all 65lbs of him:)he snuggles w/me. When I feel my worst, he comes and sits by me with his head on my lap. or on the bed while I'm lying down. His my buddy.:)

I'm still waiting to hear from the e-bay guy, hope he tell's the truth on the feeder.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My lab has cancer, also. It is in her spine. She is 11. She was diagnosed in February (I think) and is doing pretty good. Keeping their weight up is a major hurdle and really makes a difference.

Is he having trouble reaching down to the food? Is that why you are looking for a raised feeder? Or did your vet recommend it? Otherwise I just don't see the need.

Mine don't eat lying down either. I make them sit (Reys on my left, Asters on my right) and I put the bowls down in front of them and tell them to wait. Then I walk away and they wait until I say OK to start eating. If I wait too long Rey starts to drool!

Give them hugs for me!

5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

yes, he hunches his back and spreads his feet. It look uncomfortable, he chokes sometimes.

most vet's say it is best for them to eat w/raised dish. Imagine trying to eat w/your head hanging down.:)

My other dog is a beagle mix so she's much shorter, so she's o.k. he's pretty tall.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I pray it(forgot sex, sorry)it will live out it's full lifespan w/o pain and happy.:)

best wishes,
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If you've never tried, they have some wonderful items and great prices. You might have to become a member (free) but the savings are fantastic!!!

I bought a raised wooden feeder (for the pup we didn't get) for $29.00 and it was beautiful. Very classy looking and had room for food storage underneath the bowls.

I think this may be a wholesale place but they let you join under 'other'...and I did years ago because I love to spoil my pets.

Nancy B
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

thanks for the info,I'll check it out.

Love the name by the way.:)

8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

If he's having that much trouble, then yes, I'd get one. Aster has no problem with eating but getting up and down is getting hard for her. So far she is only getting an aspirin twice a day and that seems to help. I also keep Endosorb on hand (it's an rx) because she will sometimes have terrible bouts of diahrea (maybe she IBS!).

My vet and trainers recommend against it unless there is pain involved because it is an un-natural position for them to eat in. They are designed to drop their heads to eat, much like a horse or a cow.

You might also check at King Wholesale (I think it's, but don't quote me!). They are, obviously, a wholesale outfit but also sell to the public. My sis buys Zukes there in bulk and I just buy packages from her. Rey's favorite!

9. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the info. Speaking of your dog having IBS, my dog and I take almost the exact same supplements!:)

It's funny how vet's differ, most vets I asked said an elevated feeder takes the strain off the spine and keeps them from swallowing too much air.

Who know's mine just looks uncomfortable, I put a box under his dish to raise it up( of course it has to be at the right height for the dog, otherwise it can make thing's worse).

I'll check out that site thanks,
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Aster doesn't take the same stuff as me but I have trained Rey to pick up pill bottles when I drop them. Unless the lid pops off then I holler "LEAVE IT" and they back off until I get a chance to crawl all over the floor and pick them up.

DH dropped the big aspirin bottle one evening in the kitchen and pills went every where. I was in the living room and heard him swear so I hollered LEAVE IT from the living room and both dogs backed off. DH was quite impressed! (Of course aspirin landed all over the dishes I had just washed and disovled all over everything! Oh joy! Maybe I should start using the dishwasher!)

Let us know what you find re the feeder.

11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I do the leave it too, too bad it doesn't work on my husband!
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I love that pet supply store on the web. The only downside is that you pay an additional shipping charge if your order is under a certain dollar amount.

Their Zany Rubber toys with squeekers in them are indestructable.

The one thing I did notice is that some of their doggie sweaters run a full size too small. Otherwise, everything I've gotten from them is great. I even purchased my Oster dual speed dog clippers and additional blade attachments from them.

The doggie floatation life vest is well designed.
  13. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I was thinking about getting their wrought iron dog feeders, but I wasn't aware of the extra shipping charge.

I"m trying to see how they ship, if by UPS or what. I know that makes a difference.

I bet two feeders a pretty light. How will I know what the real price is? I hate to go through the whole order process, and at the end is the surprise!

you know I've never had so much fun getting to "talk" to people after 3 yrs. on the fM board.

I appreciate the ideas and info. I'll need to stop for a while. I'm really tight today, and I can't type too much. I get a headache and a bit dizzy. I wish I could chat all day.

I get lonesome sometimes. Besides my dog's, i'm at home all day and can't really cook or clean(who knew I'd WANT to do that!)so this is nice.

I'll check in as much as I can. It's nice to talk about something besides, pain,med's and all that stuff.;)Thanks for the CPAP idea. I tried to answer that post, but it wouldn't work.

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2007]
  14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

claudia, I just threw out one of their catalogs last week!

they have an 800 # that you could call and ask what your total cast would be.

If I don't respond with the info by next week, post something to me on the arthritis board, That is where I hang out the most. I just don't remember well since my surgery.
  15. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member