Attending chronic pain meetings--I dunno what to do:(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beckula, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I used to belong to a chronic pain ministry at my church. When summer came, they had a huge break--I was invited back, but never went back. I feel really, really stupid just popping in and starting to attend the meetings again, but I know I am available and DEFINITELY could use the moral support, since I never, never talk to "real life" people extensively about my pain and things that bother me--not even DH or my parents. I do belong to a chronic pain web forum and although it has been great, I feel like I need to connect beyond the Internet.

I just don't know if I should go back though. I always felt a little out of place because the people who attended the meetings were older than me. Plus now they meet at people's houses instead of the church.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would definitely go back to the meetings. After a couple of meetings you will be very comfortable again. If not, you can always choose not to go.

It sounds like a great thing!!!
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

If the people at the church pain support group are older, maybe it doesn't matter if they understand what it is like to live with chronic pain. I think that may be more important to have in common than age.

I don't have much interaction with others who have pain except for my husband and one friend. The group in this town only meets once a month and the one time I went I didn't want to mention that I take narcotics for pain because they seemed to be coping without them. I don't feel very comfortable speaking in front of people and they had everyone go around and explain what their situation was.

Hopefully, the people at the church group are empathetic with others. Maybe it's worth another try!
  4. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

IN A CROWD OF THE ELDERLY.IT ISN'T ALWAYS ABOUT PAIN, BUT LIFE SITUATIONS.THINK OUTSIDE THE REASON YOU ARE THERE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.ATILEDSNER