ATTENTION ALL CANADIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Jul 17, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

just wondering what is the strongest pain medication your docs will give you? All I can get is Tylenol 3's. Is there something you could recommend to me that I could ask my doc about?

Raz
  2. Hoops

Hoops New Member

Drs are pretty hesitant to rx pain meds. If there is a pain clinic near you, ask for a referral. I find Flexeril helps. It's a muscle relaxant and it helps me sleep. I find lack of sleep = more pain and more pain = lack of sleep. Seems to be a vicious circle. Chiropractic adjustments, only using an activator, and myofascial massage help a me lot too. Good luck. Hoops
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi again Razorqueen!

I took Tylenol #3's for a while but soon I needed more. My Rheumatologist was willing to prescribe Percocet or Oxycontin for me and my GP was supportive of that. I take the Percocet now and only very occasionally the oxy.

I would agree that the Flexeril helps in some circumstances and it does help with sleep. If you have a lot of spasms or just tightness, I have found massage, especially Shiatsu to be helpful. I also see a Chiropractor, who uses an activator about once a month.

Kathy.
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've done the flexeril thing, don't like the weight gain, I go for massage about every 6 wks, and occasionally to the chiroprator who only uses the activator on me. I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome as well and have had needling treatmetns in the past for the trigger points, but don't really know if it helped. Once you've finished your series of treatments, and want to get back on to see him, it takes about 4 months! Lots can happen during that time. I've asked my doc about lortabs or percocet and he said that needs a triple perscription, and they don't like to do that. I use lots of heat, and Deep Cold Plus lotion. thats about all that really helps. I am not on any antidepressants now, and want to stay off of them. I take 10 mg amitiriptalyine, 1 mg of clonazapam, and maybe 1-2 T3's/day, as needed, and also Ibprofin too. Oh, and I just started Jarro-dophuilus a couple of wks ago.
  5. Christinetee

Christinetee New Member

takes Elavil for pain. 25 mg. It's so great that I've resumed my step-aerobics at the gym. I once asked my Dr. for Percocet but he said no as it's a narcotic. I thought, ya.... but if it works, then why not?

Lynda
  6. Hoops

Hoops New Member

I agree and one of the problems here in Canada is that pain is undertreated. Most doctors don't realize that studies show that people in chronic pain don't become addicted to pain meds. Dependent maybe, but not addicted. There's a difference. Hoops
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

but I'm allergic to Tylenol - and have adverse reactions to most over the counter pain killers.
    I can take Ibuprofin, but it had gotten to the point where 4800mg per day wasn't working - and the side effects were worse then the original problem. I had to take extra meds to protect my stomach just so that I could take the Ibuprofin. I also had Demerol that was for me to take at night.

Eventually my doctor figured it would just be better for me to take Demerol throughout the day. He monitors my prescription, and it's been months now and I've never run into any problems.

Usually if you're real serious when talking to your doctor about the pain - and offer to let them very closely monitor your usage, doctors will give a little. There's a woman in my area who also has FM and she goes to a doctor that is absolutely against prescribing narcotics. She made a deal with him that on days where her pain is through the roof - she'll call his office and he'll fax a written prescription over to Shoppers Drug Mart, and then they deliver it to her (free!). She only gets 5 pills at a time, but as she says - it's better then nothing seeing as she doesn't have to go to the office, hospital, or even the drug store.

I hope you can get SOMETHING either then T3's. Before Tylenol ever caused me to seizure - T3's is what my doctor prescribed me for my TMJ. And I know first hand that TMJ pains don't even compare to these FM pains!

I think the only thing I can really say is that if you don't find a doctor that can give you better control for your pain - then it might be time to find a better doctor.

I know in Ontario the waiting list for a family doctor is insane. But just about anywhere if you're a chronic pain patient and whenever your in a major flare; if you can manage to get to the ER - they keep record of your level of pain as well as what medication helped to relieve it. After a few times of your doctor getting the reports that specify what drug helps you - it would be considered neglect if your doc still refused to follow up with treatment. At that point the government can step in and find you a placement with another doctor. It's what I had to do years before when my galbladder ruptured and because I couldn't take standard pain killers - my surgeon wouldn't prescribe anything for me to take! It really is persistance that pays off.
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

is the strongest I can get. It is a muscle relaxer and helps in large enough doses but I have to be in A LOT of pain before I will take them because the doctors do not like prescribing anything for pain.

I was admitted to hospital a few years ago with horrendous back pain and my husband refused to take me home until they did something about the pain. They finally gave in and prescribed Leritine. It was heaven! I had 10 pills which gave me the 10 best days I have had in 12 years.

I have BEGGED my doctors for Leritine - just enough to take one a week so I would know that I would have ONE good day a week. They refused because it is a narcotic and "we don't want to go down that road!" Yes, I do!

So it appears that we are meant to just be in pain for our whole lives around here.

Pepper
  9. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

In August My doctor prescribed Cesamet for me. But unfortunately I couldn't continue to take it because of the severe side affects I experienced, so I wasn't on it longer enough really to see if it did help. 10 days ago, he put me on Flexeril, and I can't say it has helped me either. The only thing I noticed that after taking it I get a really strong headache. I spoke to him today, he told me to stop the Flexeril, and now have to go back to the Pain clinic and see what else he has in his bag of tricks.

hugs
    brit
  10. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Hi Raz,
    Like Brit I was on Cesamet.

It did nothing but make me kind of dopey.

I had a good sleep with it but it did nothing for the pain.

So, on to the next thing.

I am now on a low dose of Risperdol it does nothing for my pain but I seem to be feeling better, in the sense that it overides the pain.

Cesamet is artificial marijuana and is a narcotic.

It is used for pain in cancer and aids patients.

Risperdal is an anti psychotic.

I don't know what the answer is, nothing the dr. has given me has worked very well.

Tylenol #3 does nothing so I will stick with Riserdol for a while and see what happens.

All the best to you and good luck. Denamay