ATTENTION ALL FORMER AND CURRENT MANAGERS OR SUPERVISORS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Aug 24, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Is it easier to have CFS/FM with a rank and file job, or a Management job?

I'm thinking that as a supervisor, I won't have grunt work (be caseloaded and have millions of cases to process). I know that I'd have endless meetings and reports about my staff to turn in. But the casework and grunt work would be gone. And yes, the overtime would be gone-------somedays I'd have to stay longer than 8 hours (but I do that now), but I'd also be able to stay less than 8 on some days.

Mostly, I need the money and health insurance, and want the experience on my resume. I'm really scared and really need to be out of the 9 to 5 ratrace. But until that happens, I'd rather make more money and have a nice position.

Also, as a supervisor, I'd finally have my own private office, which I need badly and two doctors have placed that on medical documentation forms, but my employer refuses to grant that.

What are your thoughts?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2006]
  2. SweetT

SweetT New Member

For me, I cannot sit at a desk all day. But with my current position, it's alot of up and down-------------to the fax machine/copy machine/file room/turning in work/seeing clients, which wouldn't change as a supervisor.

But with my fibro fog, managing a caseload of over 1,000 (plus having to cover for my team's work when they're out, as I'm a teamlead), and having to calculate arrears and turn in packets, that are double-checked for accuracy by the courts, is getting to be too much.

I basically need to escape being caseloaded. I like the purpose of my work (though I don't like my coworkers and Management)but don't like the bureaucratic red tape and unattainable caseloads. I wouldn't have to worry about not working enough cases per month as a supervisor. I'd merely have to motivate my staff and turn in reports about my staff.

Even now, I like the research aspect of my job, but just not being responsible for turning in paper-pusher packets, only to have stuff held up by bureaucratic red tape.

Since I'm a teamlead, I am a supervisor flunkie anyway--------have to sometimes do a supervisor's dirty work, but cannot discipline my team when they don't do their work.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have been a manager/director for 13 years and the stress and workload seems to be connected more to the company I worked for rather then the position I was in.

My current job is being a telecommunications manager at a major financial industry company and most people would say that I had a very stressful job by my job title. However I find this job the least stressful for a good majority of the time. I work a traditional work day albeit early - I work 6:30 to 3:30 everyday with limited overtime...so this is a huge chunk of why it is less stressful because my other jobs required a lot of weekend and night work.

I don't know if this helps you but I would really be careful to assume that a supervisor job would be less stressful. Personally I think the managing of a staff is the most stressful part of the job because you cannot control their issues...as a lead you might already know that but it just gets harder when you have the disciplinarian (sp) issues. My next job will not be in managment of people I promise ME that!
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

My business was so small (only one girl in the other room) that it was easy for me (Sport Massage, Chronic Pain Massage). I had drop-in's as well as sceduled clients. If I had bad times, I could simply go in only for the sceduled clients since I had so many permanent clients. I put up a note on the door for the drop ins to call for a time they thought they wanted to come in. I also had a rip-note board and a box they could put a note in. So, no staff per say, but i had to do EVERYTHING there, taxes too,,,LOL!

It was still easier than working for someone else.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2006]
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Do any of the new members have any ideas about this?