attention deficite/ for us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Dec 11, 2002.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

Klutzo got me to thinking about mood disorders and one thing let to another. I tried Ritalin for excessive fatigur and it worked wonders for 2 weeks if you discount the panting like a dog and climbing blood pressure. I was awake and feeling wonderful and then zero. Looked up natural alternatives. BCalm seems to be all over the place but has Ltriptophan whick I prefer not to take because of its unsafe history. Found a product called ATTEND and the list of ingredients seem to hit on most of what I think I need. QUESTION: anyone ever tried any of these products or know anything about them?
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Klutzo got me to thinking about mood disorders and one thing let to another. I tried Ritalin for excessive fatigur and it worked wonders for 2 weeks if you discount the panting like a dog and climbing blood pressure. I was awake and feeling wonderful and then zero. Looked up natural alternatives. BCalm seems to be all over the place but has Ltriptophan whick I prefer not to take because of its unsafe history. Found a product called ATTEND and the list of ingredients seem to hit on most of what I think I need. QUESTION: anyone ever tried any of these products or know anything about them?
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

i dont know anything about the other meds but my step son was on ritalin for ahdd which the school said he had any ways he became addictted wanting more and more we finally took him off it took him to a differnt dr that said he didnt have ahdd ,but i have also heard from others that say even for fatigue ritalin can be very additive where you need more and more,and never get the same results as the beginng,so your not alone as far as 1 week it helped the next week it didnt thank god your dr didnt just keep increasing your dose,
    just thought i share hope someone answers soon about the other things i think it will help alot of us
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2002]
    ps when i say addictted i mean tolorate to the med,[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2002]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The problem with stimulants is that our brains are already overstimulated and this is why we cannot sleep. If I miss my Klonopin, I can't sleep and during the day, I cannot focus nor stay calm.

You can read Dr. Cheney's article on SSRI's and stimulants in our library. He also has a very good article on Klonopin which expalins the slight seizure state of our brains.

Love, Mikie
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

I have been on Ritalin for more than a year now. It has greatly improved the quality of my life and I have had no problem with the med at all, the opposite. I am still taking the same amount than I did last year, and mostly try to rather reduce than increase.
    Mikie, whatever we take, Klonopin also is a med which not all doctors like to prescribe. Whatever one feels to get relief from that is what counts in most cases.
    I am reading too much on this board and know that a lot of people are scared of certain drugs, so am I, but I was and am willing to try them. If they work, I am happy and do not think what happens in 20 years from now on.
    But, I guess, we are all different with different thoughts and different beliefs.
    Best regards, Lucky
  6. mightyslo

mightyslo New Member

On Ritalin I was panting like a dog and howling at the moon but then thats just me. My friend called my doctor and told em I was falling apart even tho I had a little extra energy for two hours, had the SR,it was major sensory overload and I would really crash.

Ritialin works for those who need it and I was just trying to jump start the old cells. They didnt jump.

So I too am interested in this ATTEND and how it works for anyone. Please let me know.

Mslo
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

According to Dr. Edward Conley, founder and medical director of the Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Clinic of Michigan, L-Tryptophan got a bum rap----and he recommends it in his book, "America Exhausted".

In 1989 the FDA took it off the over the counter market--(but was still available by RX)
    It was withdrawn because a batch of L-Tryptophan was contaminated with amino acid E, which was found to be the cause of Eosinophilic Syndrome. This syndrome injured many people in the US and killed a few. All evidence points to the contamination being the problem, not the L-Tryptophan.

It helps with sleep by boosting serotonin production. Serotonin increase will improve depression, and gives a sense of overall well-being.
    Karen
  8. tlc

tlc New Member

Ritilin, adderall will only work for you if you have ADD/ADHD. You will not get addicted and it will not make you "high" just make you feel more like a normal person feels, able to concentrate/focus and have more energy and less fatigue. Otherwise you can get addicted and feel "high". I have been on adderall for a year now, dx with ADD at 37, and it has helped a great deal. Have been feeling worse lately, went to the DR. yesterday. I was taking it twice a day, but hadn't been consistant with it, sometimes skipping doses, taking less if I could stay in bed and rest. Trying to save $$$. But that is probably the problem as the dr. reminded me. Wasn't keeping it in my system enough, am to take it 3x a day now, no skipping doses, morning, noon and late afternoon/early evening(smaller dose at this time). Sure hope that is the problem and that it does the trick. Sometimes we get to doing things we shouldn't and don't realize it and have to be reminded. I have a problem being consistent, and have to be constantly reminded, that's the ADD for You!!!!
  9. younghope

younghope New Member

I have ADHD and when I was a child they told me I was depressed ...of course the solution was prozac. Sure it helped calm me but I learned how to calm down without the drug. My son now 13 has ADHD. At one time they put him on a patch because all I saw with ritalin was ZOMBIE. It helped him calm down enough that he felt normal and from there we learned how to do it all on our own. The mind is a powerfull thing. I need to get back there to help me with the FMS I'm dealing with now. We can only be strong for so long then we want to give up. Thank goodness my family loves me so much! It sure helps. The best thing I have found to calm me is 5-htp & panethonic(spelling) acid. I don't know why but I feel lots better & can actully sleep. Being ADHD everything works opposit for me. Speed makes me sleep & pain pills make me wired.
    Good luck