~~~attention Elliespad~~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Feb 17, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi Hon,

I was just going through some old posts and saw a few responses from you...

First, thank you for the info on relaxin...I guess I will put that on the back burner too, but keep the info for future reference...

Then, I saw your question about my Dad's RA...

My Dad was a VERY hardworking milkman in Queens, NY...He was a delivery driver and eventually ran the plant...He was misdiagnosed for a long time and continued to work...He would get fevers and sleep them off, his joints would hurt and he would drink a little more to get thru the day...
    I remember my family telling me he would wear his slippers during work, shoes didn't fit anymore cause his feet swelled so much but he conitnued to walk up flights of stairs, work outside in the winter and in the freezers of the plant...

His hands were so numb that while working on the box cutting machine, the blade came down and took his finger with it, he wasn't aware til one of his employees told him...My Dad was a trooper!!!

He finally got sick enough to be hospitalized...I was only 4 at the time he got really bad...He had lung infections, I think due to the prednisone they used to try to help him recover...He actually died twice!!!

He came home in a wheelchair, told by ALL of the experts in NY, he had THE WORST CASE they had ever seen as of 1972 and his case was used in many journals and the mulitiple joint surgeries and replacements he had were done in NY hospital for Joint Disease to teach others...He went thru more hell than any other person I ever knew...That's what keeps me going most of the time...

His surgeries were so extensive and his meds were many and often...He fought synovial infections for years...He lost his right knee after the prosthetic failed from infection, he wore a brace to hold him up...Yes, he did walk again and even walked me down the aisle in 1992...Best day of my life (and his)...He took prednisone til the last day along with Tylenol 4's...As many as he could, nothing ever helped the pain...He had his hands operated on so many times to make the fingers more usable...He only got that done cause the docs all knew him and knew he could/would handle the pain if he could get more function...

Watching what he went through was so awful but I have to say I am stronger for it...I took care of him for many years and I was only 8 when I had to treat his knee infection or he would die...I remember that when I complain of my problems...

I know when I see people or hear of people with RA, I have to compare them to my Dad...When they complain they can't stand for long or their hands hurt, I compare their conditions and I have to say, I haven't met the person that looked worse than my Dad...He was crippled from head to every toe...His neck got so bad but at the time they didn't believe that RA could be in the cervical spine...In his last years, his docs were rethinking this...My neck has been bad for quite awhile and after my surgery the FMS came hard...

I know there is a relation between my Dad's condition and myself...And I can't help but recall his docs when they told me to get prepared, I would suffer just like him...My RA factor was very high but no signs of joint swelling...They feel swollen and they burn but no proof that they can see...My RA has since been normal but since it's been normal, I have had FMS symptoms...My Dad's doc also told me my RA was in remission and it is hereditary and don't listen to any doc who told me different...Every doc has told me different...And none has helped me yet...

Boy, that got long, didn't it...

I was glad you asked, I was happy I was upright long enough to type this and if you'd like to know anything else, please ask...

Thanks for caring enough to ask about my Dad and I am sorry I haven't checked my other posts as often...Unfortunately, had another UC attack and was on my back for two days...

I just read your profile and had to add this...We lived in a new area of Long Island, NY when my Dad got sick...The lot behind us was left to grow out of control and the highway behind that lot was just being started...I was told that once they started 'digging' there were rats everywhere. I hate to think of what they used to eradicate the problem...My Mom had a heart condition and OA and the more I think back, I believe she had FMS/CF...My oldest brother had open heart surgery at 16 due to a damaged valve(of course, they related that to my Mom), my middle brother has schizophrenia...Also, my very first friend who lived three houses from me suffers from RA, ankylosing spondylitis and lung issues related to the steroids...His came on about age 15...Connection? Most likely...The last I spoke to him he mentioned to me that he thought our parents did too many drugs while having us...tehe...I then reminded him about the field out back and what could possibly be under what is now a baseball field...It got him thinking...It's terrible we all have to suffer with all these dd's and nothing is being done...I can't even help myself, I get one step forward and 10 steps back...I'm running out of steps! :( Thanks again for asking about my Dad, it was nice to remember him and to write a little about him even tho the memories were hard to reall, they're memories of him and that's very wonderful for me...

Peace~Alicia
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2006]