ATTENTION.. IMPORTANT INFO ON STATINS!! EYES OPENED!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolK, May 22, 2008.

1. CarolK

CarolK New Member

OH MY GOSH... HOW MANY OF US ARE ON STATINS??? IE... ZOCOR, SIMVASTATIN, LIPITOR OR OTHER BLOOD CHOLESTERAL LOWERING DRUGS???

I have been experiencing VERY SEVER MUSCLE AND JOINT ACHES from the top of my head to my toes! TERRIBLE FATIGUE and EXTRA MEMORY LOSS. This has been going on for months so I just figured it was the fibro. Also thought I was getting RA... went to doctor and he took me off the Simvastatin and ran extra blood tests for RA and other autoimmune diseases.

All blood work came out FINE!! So I decided to do a "google search" on side effects of "Statin Drugs".

OH MY GOD!!! WHAT A SHOCKER!!!! ALL MY SYMPTOMS WERE LISTED THERE!!!! DO A google search on .."stopped my statins".... read all the various web information on the symptoms of these nasty drugs!

I've only been off the statins for 36 hours now and I have a month to go... so I will post again at the end of the 30 days and let everyone know how many of my symptoms are gone.

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND GO ONLINE TO CHECK OUT THE ALL THE INFO ON STATIN SIDE EFFECTS! I'M NOT TELLING ANYONE TO GO OFF THEIR RX'S.... JUST GET EDUCATED ON WHAT THESE DRUGS CAN BE DOING TO YOUR BODY! JUST LIKE I CHECKED WITH MY DOCTOR... PLEASE BE SAFE AND DO THE SAME!!

EYES OPENED!! CarolK

O
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2008]
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Carolk....
    Yes statins can cause horrible joint aches, and fatigue! They can be very dangerous....I ended up at urgent care and the doctor I saw took me off of Vitorin immediately....he just so happened to be allergic to statins and put me of Zetia. Now I have not the problem...still have the aches but that is normal? FM? The aches from the statin was so much worse of an ache in joints, different.
    Cindy
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I have not used them, but from what I've read, they're like drinking beer to quench your thirst - they cause more problems. You can lower bad cholesterol by avoiding grains and sugar spikes.

If you have a problem like high cholesterol, google for it and include the words "natural remedies" and you will get good advice on how to change your diet or supplement with the nutrients you need for that particular problem. Virtually all health problems are caused by a lack of specific nutrients in your diet. Doctors do not treat people with nutrients. They wait until you are pretty bad off, then they find a drug for you. They don't involve themselves in prevention because it would hinder drug sales.

Drugs block enzyme pathways and have to be detoxed. And since we have problems with our enzymes and detoxification, taking drugs is like shooting ourselves in the foot when we have CFS. Always look for nutritional ways to deal with your problems rather than drugs. They will keep you sick.

karen
  4. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Statins can cause joint pain, especially in people who have arthritic or autoimmune diseases to begin with. An alternative is Ezetimibe (Zetia), but obviously, talk to your doctor about it.

The recent stigma surrounding Zetia is because when used in combination with a statin, it really doesn't do anything. It can be used as an alternative to statins, however, when the patient is allergic.

Another alternative to discuss with your doctor are fibrates, like fenofibrate and gemfibrozil.
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED!

HOPE NONE OF YOU HAD THE EXPERIENCE I'M HAVING!

AND THANKS ALSO FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR ALTERNATIVES.

SOFT HUGS... CAROLK
  6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I was put on Simvastatin, it caused permanent damage to some of my muscles. At the time my feet felt like there was glass inside the toe joints, my arm muscles was so painful I could hardly lift anything with it, the pain reduced once I stopped taking the statin, alas many months later I still have foot joint pain from time to time and arm pain most of the time.

Since then I've found out I now have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) which appears to have started around or shortly after the time I was taking Simvastatin. Although it's hard to prove it there is a significant probability the statin may have triggered the CLL.
  7. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

OMG, YES! I have been on 2 different statins and the pain was severe in days...feet and hands. Doc took me off right away. I have been on Tricor (not a statin, for high triglycerides) 2 seperate times lasting a few years. I just had an increase in dose in March and within a week had problems again. Pain in feet and hands getting worse each day. Didn't think it could be the increase, but after 2 weeks and hurting so much I couldn't walk, I stopped it. Within 3 days 95% of pain GONE!

Makes me wonder if this has been the cause of much of my pain all along, just moderate enough to make me ignore it. Had 3 weeks of feeling the best I've felt physically and mentally in years! Then had 4 weeks of IBS problems, but they have cleared up (doc did lab tests for possible causes...came back normal).

I hadn't linked the mental problems to chol. med but I realize that those symptoms have diminished quite a bit now too.

I don't care how high my chol. gets. I want to live with as little pain as possible. Just not worth it.

Oh,and BTW, I had a doc, who after I explained my "rare" symptoms, give me a statin anyway telling me it wasn't a statin and I had the problems. Looked on-line and saw it was a statin and never went back to him again.
  8. CarolK

CarolK New Member

LADYCAROL... I'm so sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with the statin drugs... and to end up with leukemia as a result...wow!! What a challenge for you! Well I am gonna believe in prayer that you will be healed of all damaging side effects of this medication!!

PASTORSWIFE... Thanks for your response too! Guess this just shows that we need to be educated on every med we go on! For some reason we always think that there will be no side effects to bother us. We can no longer stand on that belief!!

Thanks for both your posts... Blessings to you... CarolK
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Panethine has been shown to be just as effective as statins. It also doesn't have the side effects of statin drugs.
  10. ccrider1031

ccrider1031 New Member

i feel u i have cll too dr says should be no problems w joint and muscle pain. Do u think ur pain is from statins or the cll i also took simvastin but had pain before it and continue to suffer i believe its from the cll im 45yrs old cant work cause of the pain and fatigue. Become curious if other cll patients have same pain and fatigue as me.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Carol,

Thanks for letting us know this. I'm so glad you figured it out. And doctors tell us not to research online! Pshaw!

Karen, what you wrote is so true and I like how concisely you did it: "Drugs block enzyme pathways and have to be detoxed. And since we have problems with our enzymes and detoxification, taking drugs is like shooting ourselves in the foot when we have CFS. Always look for nutritional ways to deal with your problems rather than drugs. They will keep you sick." I also can't take natural enzymes either, isn't that interesting?

Usually you have to read long articles to get that information. I may take your quote into my Rheumy so he can better understand why I can't handle drugs.

tee
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  12. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

My doc wouldn't give me satins because I have Fibromyalgia. This says something.
  13. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Are you in touch with the National CFIDS Foundation? (ncf-net.org)

They are finding leukemia of some kind in patients.

Statins may have had nothing to do with it.

I refused to take statins because I have two muscle diseases; FM and MG (Myasthenia Gravis)...the dr. kept trying to talk me into statins and always Rx'd CIPRO (another muscle destroying drug)..I finally had to write him a letter and insist they be included in meds I refuse to take...

I lowered my cholesterol by 20 pts with two 500mg caps of niacin daily; am still going lower each time...my dr. is amazed.

p.s. I am not an ounce overweight, so dr. cannot blame it on that; also, our mitochondria's lipid walls are being destroyed by anticardiolipin antibodies (ACA) (new study, in recent issue of J. Lab Analysis, by Dr. Hokama of John A. Burns Medical Center, in Hawaii), who discovered PWCs have an autoimmune disease (95) of blood tested positive for ACAs, with IgM most positive and two others less positive.
    He named a treatment (retuximib?) spelled wrong probably, but said it turns the autoimmunity right around. Great news; you'll hear more about it in the Fall issue of the Forum by the NCF, I'm sure. he said it affects the ability of the liver to detoxify properly...ever hear that before?

Point I wanted to make is that PWCs NEED extra lipids to protect the lining of the mitochondria, which Dr. Les Simpson discovered and warned about 15 years ago!

Something to think about...

skeptik2
    I'm also adding
  14. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

on flax seed capsules 1000 mg twice a day in the hopes that this brings my cholestral and all of the related stuff back down .

A friend of mine takes Fish Oil capsules--don't know the strength and they are helping her cholestral levels but I alway hear her say she has fishy burps.

My dr. and I talked about the bad things that statins do to people--especially those with Fibro.
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I am not trying to be humorous with this subject and I do take statins. SIL had high cholestrol and could not take his noon hour walk because of all of them. He tried them all and was so weak he felt he could not take another step.

What I was leading up to, he began taking fish oil tablets and had wonderful results. But---------one day he forgot to take them out of his pants pocket and you probably know what happened. D washed them with many other things! The entire load of clothes smelled awful. I really don't remember the results, but now, SIL NEVER LEAVES THEM IN HIS POCKET.

Lilaclover
  16. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

which can be damaging to the heart, deplete your energy etc.

There are so many natural ways to go to lower cholesterol:

Cut out sugar
    eat low carb
    Take: fish oil
    flaxseed oil
    pantethine

I would add exercise, but I can't due to CFS and presume most here can't either.

Also, I've read about red yeast rice, supposed to help, but have never taken it. I think I read that the active ingredient in red yeast rice is what they use in lipitor, etc., but am unsure about this. Also that the formulation of red yeast rice has been changed because of that? but would have to do more research which I don't want to do right now.

Mary
  17. elliespad

elliespad Member

Need to read more later