Attention: Tramadal (ultram) users:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Do you notice a tightness in your jaw muscles when using this medication?

I am suppose to be taking 2 pills 3 times a day, but this weekend I have lowered it to just 1 pill 3 times a day to see if this makes a differance or not.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Do you mean "jaw clenching"? I sometimes have that and I do take Ultram sometimes.

I never connected it with that.
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

JAW CLENCHING WOULD BE A GOOD EXPLANATION TOO.
  4. splinter

splinter New Member

Hi
    I am one of the fortunate ones for whom Ultram works well. I have always clenched my jaws, Utram doesn't seem to affect it for me one way or the other. Many of us with FMS and fatigue, also have TMJ.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

It sure makes me feel a tightness in my whole jawline!

I noticed it before and did just what you are doing,...I lowered my dose. I don't feel it as bad (no where near) but I do still feel like I'm tensing up my jaw at times.

Sometimes I'd get heaadaches because of it to.
    To be honest,..I try and go without the med.
    I take like 2 a day.
    It does'nt keep my pain down but my doc. does'nt seem to wanna give me anything BUT ultrams.
    I'm gonna ask at my next visit tho.
    Your not imagining it~
    Hope this helps~
    Tandy
  6. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Finally someone else with the same thing. I had an idea it was ultram; but could not prove it. It seems to happen when I don't eat well before taking it or have too much coffee at the same time. Same exact feeling. Thought I was having angina; for which I do have. Thanks for sharing = bobby
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

Well, I didn't notice the jaw clenching with Ultram, but is sure did give me an awful headache. And was constipating, too.

Michelle
  8. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Never once thought it was the Ultram...I'm suppose to take 2 3 times a day too....but found that it made me so sleepy.
    So the one 3 or 4 times a day...works better...but...then the pain rises...
    I never linked the jaw clenching to that...I wonder why that is?
    My jaw use to ache so bad...even went to the dentist about it, told me to get one of those inserts for your teeth...like a boxer or football player wears...I can't think of the name of it right now...???
    I didn't do it...and just suffer, like anything else with this stupid Fibro stuff.
    KathyZ
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

I have in the past taken two ultram every six hours .... 8 total in a twenty four hour period .... Never have experienced tightness in the jaw area.

I don't take as many doses during the day now, but I would in a New York minute if my pain flared.

I hope you find what is causing your distress .... besides tramadol if it is otherwise controlling your pain ... I hate the possiblity of not having pain contol because of side effect.

E.
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I do have tmj and clench my teeth. I wear a bite guard at night that helps somewhat.

I do take ultram but I had the problem before I started taking it. There have been periods of time I was able to do without the ultram and I still had the jaw problems.

Ultram does make me have a headache sometimes. The doctor said to take a regular strength tylenol with the ultram.
  11. msmac

msmac New Member

If I take it it gives me headaches. I have tried it many times since it came out, and the first pill or two are okay and then the headache comes on.
  12. cmcd1070

cmcd1070 New Member

I've had TMJ all my life, so tightening of the jaw \ neck muscles would go unnoticed on me.

I take 2 ultram a day, I have to take them at night because otherwise I would fall asleep at my desk. I've been on them for one year. I think they're great! Without them I can barely move a muscle and everything hurts.

The side-effect of constipation, I have to say is a WELCOME side effect for me because of my IBS, I have chronic problems of the reverse and nothing they have given me has stopped it until I started on the pain medication. Yay for constipating side effects!

Also due to my IBS nausea is a constant, so I wouldn't notice anything new there either. Headaches I do get now and I didn't get them before but they aren't unbearable. Weariness, well isn't that mild compared to the devastating exhaustion of Fibro?

No vomitting for me.
  13. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i've been taking it off and on for about a year.

no jaw clenching experienced.

i'm not super impressed with it to be honest. the pain may be lifted for a short while for me. i'm supposed to take 1 tramadol up to 3 times a day.

been using it more often in the past few months because of flare ups and because it's the same script my primary care believes is best for me now and so did the rheumatologist.

there are times it just DOESN'T cut the pain enough...

14. tandy

tandy New Member

(sorry for caps on lock)

I don't even think I want this med anymore.

I always noticed the tightness in my jaw but thought I was imagining it untill it was brought up here.

I even looked for side effects and never saw anything about this being one. I don't like that.
    Becaause I also feel jittery and CAN'T sleep when I take ultrams.
    Combne all the above, jaw tightness,edgey/jittery,can't sleep and only helps minimal for my pain.???
    This med must not be right for me or my chemistry.?

I hope to get something else soon. but for now,..I'll use OTC.
  15. Luv2Teach

Luv2Teach New Member

Beadlady,
    I was just diagnosed with fibro about a month ago and was put on ultram. I have very bad TMJ and have suffered from it for years. I actually feel that the Ultram has helped my TMJ and hate that it is possibly causing you this problem. I wouldn't wish jaw pain on anyone! My only problem with Ultram is sleepiness. My Doc told me to stop caffeine, but I have to take it with caffeine or I am a walking zombie...and I teach 7th grade so that doesn't exactly work. I'm seeing him next week, so hopefully he and I can compromise on the Diet Pepsi!! Good luck finding out what's causing your jaw pain!
  16. jole

jole Member

I have been on it for 4 years now, and granted, it isn't working as well as it did at first, but the jaw pain for me is not new. I have always considered it part of my FM because it's been with me forever. The popping and pain sometimes is bad enough that I can't eat. Mostly with weather changes.

Haven't noticed if Ultram helps it, but I know it doesn't hurt it. Don't like the constipation though.

Friends - Jole
  17. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

One of the side effects are increased muscle tightness, talk with your doctor.

Cathy
  18. janieb

janieb New Member

I've taken Tramadal for years. It's the only pain medication I've found that truly works for my fibro. Always have clenched my jaws, so that is not new. I take two tablets every four hours and some days that is not enough. My doctor has no problem writing the prescription, but perhaps that's because of my age.

19. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I don't experience the jaw tightening but I did want to mention something else. When I told my doctor that the Ultram seemed to hype me up and interfere with my sleep, he prescribed Ultracet. It made me extremely sleepy and didn't seem to work as well. When I told him this he suggested one Ultram at breakfast and lunch and an Ultracet at dinner. Bingo! I knew that the diffence was the acephetimin but I didn't realize it also affected energy levels. Some of the other posters mentioned sleepiness so I thought this might help.
  20. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I just went to a rheumatologist yesterday who actually has Fibro as one of his main clinical interests. It was so refreshing to have a doctor who actually knew what I was dealing with. He prescribed me Ultram and said I should take 2 tablets with 1 tab of Tylenol 3x/day. So far it's worked wonders. I've gotten a bit groggy, but the pain is actually under control. He also prescribed Zanaflex for muscle tightness, so I'm hoping this will counteract any of the side effects mentioned here.

On another note, it's so great to have discovered this board. So many people I know have no idea what FMS is, and it's nice to feel like I'm not alone.

Thanks for the support.

Eric