Attention Working Fibromites!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LeLeHpr, Apr 2, 2003.

1. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Has anyone had a problem cutting back from FT hours to PT hours with an employer????
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I cut back two months ago. I got a doctors note that asked that I be excused from the morning shift until further notice. I want to make this permanent because I have a very difficult time with sleep. The afternoon shift is so great I look froward to going and it keeps me moving. I think that if you have a docs note they must accomidate you under the ADA. I have been stressing about telling my boss that I would like this to be permanent. I feel guilty that I am not living up to my expectation as a employee...so if the expectation was part time from now on this would help with any guilt. does this make sense? what are you going through at your work?
    Judy
  3. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I am so thankful you wrote back...I have been feeling terrible and only receive 7 sick days per year..I have already used 6...My boss has been great and very accomadating however I am no longer able to keep up with 8 hours a days sitting idle at a desk doing repetitive motion..I am a marketing reo and take 50 calls per day..Very stressful! I do feel like a failure for having to do this as I am only 26, but my health is more important! My employer requested documentation from my rhuemy stating she is currently treating me for FM and all the meds I am on...So, hopefully, my rhuemy who is not going to be my rhuemy much longer will agree..She is one of thse that swears exercise and loosing weight will cure fm along with a positive attitude...Tried it all and it did not help a bit..So, here I go....What kind of work do you do? Oh, also I recently had to get a maid...Talk about difficult!
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I drive school bus. This is a split shift that requires very early hours. than go home and come back for the afternoon. At first this was good because I could go home and rest. but.....the lack of sleep and having to get up at 5am was stressing me so bad that I basically had a physical breakdown. My body said NO! I have a country doctor who I love and I wrote a letter he gave it to his secretary and put it on their letterhead. I feel that if I would not have been proactive and composed the letter myself he would not have been so accomidationg. Perhaps you can do something like this and tell your rhummy that you can not function anymore on a full time basis. These docs are suppose to be our ADVOCATES!!!! This letter I wrote was perhaps a paragraph. I used up my 8 days in the first 5 months of the school year! This is such an unpredictable DD. Keep us posted on your progress with your employer please. It is important for me to work with this DD but full time for me IS NOT AN OPTION! My body mentally and physically is not made for this. I am 43..which in my world is young.
    best to you.
    Judy
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

bumping for other fibro workers.
    BTW, I spoke to boss today we are going to try 2 days full time, 3 part time. then increase as I can do so, if I can do so. ttyl,
    Judy
  6. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Fellow Working Fibromite,
    I work with my husband at our business. He goes in at 6 in he morning and I come in around 11 or 12. We are open til 4:30 but some days we run over if we get really busy. I do all the cleaning at home and the shop. Some days I feel like I need to crawl into bed the minute I get home, but can't because I usually make dinner and then clean up dishes. I have only recently started taking my husbands shirts to the dry cleaner (Yes, I ironed everything) crazy huh? I also have my granddaughter on the weekends, she is five and the love of my life. It is getting harder to keep up though. I also help my Mom if she needs anything as my Dad died a few years ago and I am an only lonely. She is a love to but doesn't really understand this DD and has more energy than I will ever have and she is 75. I am struggling to keep up.
    Let me know if you find a way. Much luck to you.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  7. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi lelehpr~~I am 53 and have had FM/CFS since I was 15. I worked full time till 10 years ago, and in 1993 the FM/CFS and osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis made it impossible for me to continue working full time. I was Director of Mental Health, and that position required a full time person so I resigned and found a part-time job working 3 days a week as a psychotherapist and have done that for the past 10 years now.

However, two years ago I was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease (ddd) with multiple back problems, nerve damage, and have a cluster of pinched nerves in my neck/shoulder area--and all this has made it much more difficult for me to even work three days a week. But, I am my sole financial support and must work to support myself, 5 very spoiled cats, and a rowdy pup. Also, I was born with severe asthma & allergies.

In the past two years, I have missed alot of work from one illness or another.....or when one flares up they all flare up. But, I get medical notes from my physician for these abscences. I just feel bad about missing so much work as I am the only therapist at the Program.

I haven't had to resort to using the ADA to keep my job, but it is good to look it up on the net, run off a copy, and file it away so you are familiar with the Act and have it handy should you need to use it.

Since you are so young, I would encourage you to seek out other forms of employment that you would enjoy more and still enable you to work part time. I love my work, and that is what keeps me going; I have been doing it for 30 years and am good at it--and that is what keeps me employed inspite of all my absenses.

However, if you go to permanent part-time work--be prepared for a cut in salary and benefits which will also affect your lifestyle. I went from making very good money with great benefits to an extreme cut in pay, no benefits, no insurance, and a major change in my lifestyle. But, my health had to come first.

Take care, and let us know how you are doing. Carol...
  8. snowchevystl

snowchevystl New Member

Does your job offer FMLA family medical leave act. You can be out up to 12 weeks and they have to keep your job and can not get rid of you for absenteeism. You don't have to take all at once can take a day here or there, depending on how you feel when you wake up (we can all relate to that). If they do you should see if your rheumy will fill out the paperwork on it. It will help you to cut back without loosing your job and still being protected.

9. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

I work pt a a librarian, which I love. The work is sometimes hard physically-shelving book can be difficult-bu on bad days, I just take things a little slower. They are great at accomodating me and when I show with my cane (that's a REALLY bad day), generally give me the option of going home. I'm in a bit of a quandary right now-I've bee offerred 4 more hours per week working in reference-my favorite part of the library-but am just about at my limit as is. I'e applied for a permanent pt position in reference and taking this temp position might help towards that. I've got to let them know by this afternoon. sigh. I just dn't know to o.
    -Sarah
  10. KayL

KayL New Member

and this time last year I was working 2 jobs; that *probably* had something to do with me finally *crashing*, although I'm still managing to carry on.

It hasn't been an issue (yet) for me, but I feel quite sure my employer would not be accommodating, even though I've been with the company 23 years. It's a very small, family owned business, and I'm the only one who knows my job inside and out. I've tried to train a couple other people, and they either don't care or just don't get it.

However, on the up side, even though I don't discuss my fibro in the office, they know I have a *problem*, and I can usually leave early several days of the week. They have been very understanding about all my doctor's appointments too. And on my lunch hour, I lie down in the break room on a futon and use this time to rest, stretch, relax, etc. The office is also very casual, so I can leave my work area, move around, take breaks, whenever I need to.

Karen
  11. Lendi

Lendi New Member

She allows me to work the hrs I can, but I rarely work less than 6. I was working a 9 hr day and just couldn't do it. I probably average 7 hrs. But, the work is still there waiting on me and that causes some major stress. Also, on my review boss stated that she was glad we were able to work out my "health issues", but that she would like a quicker turn around on some things. So, I don't know. I have been know to bring it home with me over the weekend to catch up.