ATTN 1SWEETIE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Hi Sweetie,

Have you had a chance to talk to your mother about her leg and her spine yet?

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Hi,

I talked with my Mom last night but didn't talk to her about her that. My Mom's breast cancer has returned for the 3rd time and this time it has spread to her bones. She has to take infusions of a Arimidex (sp?) to help strengthen her bones and yesterday was a treatment day. Last night we just talked about that.

I just called her and your situation reminds both of us of her situation. She had leg pain...she always describes most of her pain as "being sore". One day she made a small pivotal move and she fell...her leg just gave way. She got me and tried to move. The pain was so intense and the leg would not move and she passed out.

She had an MRI and she has degenerative disc disease and had a couple of herniated disc in her lower back. It was so dangerous because she would be walking and her leg would give way as if she did not have a leg. At that time her reflexes in that leg would barely show.

After weeks of antiinflammatory meds, pain medication, and rest she improved.

Does this sound like what you have?

3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Oh, Sweetie, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's cancer. I hope she is not in too much pain. I know it must be difficult for you to have your Mom be going through this.

I appreciate you calling and speaking to her on my behalf. My Neurologist just ordered MRIs of my neck and upper spine. I would think that if I had disc problems affecting my leg that he would want an MRI of my lower back. I'm just so leary of him because of his negative comments about FMS the first time I went to see him. So, I guess because of that I question his judgement. Two of my tests have shown abnormalities and his comment has been "Oh that's nothing to worry about".

Anyway, to answer your question, right now my leg is throbbing and my foot is numb. Yesterday it felt like nerve pain. When I first wake up in the morning, I can't lift my foot to take a step so I use the walker and drag my leg. Throughout the day, my leg aches, but I can eventually walk with a cane.

How are you feeling? Better, I hope.

Thanks again for everything.

Lolalee
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This is going to be quick because I have an appointment but he has it wrong. It is your lower back that should be having the MRI.

I will email you later.

Also good new...Oprah has an article on Oprah.com under the heath section of FM. Yeah for us! I am going to start a thread and tell them WE WON a small battle!!!
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I appreciate your concern for my Mom. She had her 1st occurrence in 1988, her 2nd in 2000, and the last in 2005. We found out last year that it has metastasized to her bones.
    She is doing very well physically. She actually feels better than I do.

I was so hurt. I am an only child and was still her baby and I was so sick and could not help her. I did make it to the hospital for the day of surgery and to her doctor's appointments but I was so sick. It took me months to get back to the point that I was before. It seemed so selfish and I felt so useless and guilty but there was nothing I could do.

She had been helping me with food and appointments since I crashed. When we found the cancer was back she was given radiation again and a different hormone anticancer medicine with a transfusion every other month to strengthen her bones. There will be MRI's in October & November to check the status of the cancer. We pray for healing.

The medication & radiation has changed her. It is hard to explain. It has affected her memory and her stamina although she is much better than I am.

The problem with her disc was prior to the spread of the cancer. Please think about changing doctors or ask for an MRI of your lumbar. What you are describing does not sound like FM to me. I think this is the time I am suppose to disclose that I am not a doctor...just a friend that wants you to feel better.

I am going to pay for today. I have not been feeling well and have not kept up with the board as much as I had been. I've done too much today.

I wish we could get a few people that are not in flares to pickup and run with the advocacy until we feel better but I am not seeing that happen. I do appreciate all of the ones that are trying...just wish there were many more.

6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Oh hon, I know how you must feel. Isn't it awful to want to help your loved one and not be able to? It sounds like your Mom understands. I will put her at the top of my prayer list. When I pray for someone I like to use their name. If you feel comfortable with telling me her name, that would be great. If not, I understand. I will pray for Sweetie's Mom and Sweetie, of course.

Yes, it sounds like you have done too much. Stop it right now..says she as she pushes herself, too. I was just thinking the same thing about myself. I felt a little better this afternoon and I swept (bad girl) and made some Hummus, so I can have a healthy snack in the fridge. I am going to quit now. I'd really like to take a shower and wash my hair tonight since my priest is coming over tomorrow to bring me communion. But, that might not happen. You know how hard it is to shower, wash hair and blow dry, plus I use the flat iron...way too much work. I think I just talked myself out of it.

Don't worry about influencing me with your advice. I was thinking the same thing anyway. I will call his office tomorrow. I might have to switch doctors. He is supposed to be one of the best in this area. OK I'm not gonna go there...you know ..doctor bashing.

Have a good restful night and try not to do anything tomorrow.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thank you for praying for my Mom. Her name is Jeanette.

((((hugs)))
    Susan