****ATTN: 2painful4words**** Blackberry Cake Recipe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Dec 12, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

BLACKBERRY CAKE

2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter or margarine, softened (room temp.)
    3 eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons nutmeg
    2 teaspoons allspice OR ground cloves
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 to 1-1/2 small jars of blackberry jam

Cream sugar and butter.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs; stir soda into buttermilk, then add buttermilk to eggs.

In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients (except soda) together. (sifting all together is optional)

Add a little of the wet ingredients to the sugar/butter mixture and stir.

Then add little of dry ingredients; stir.

Alternate wet and dry ingredients, stirring after each addition.

Stir, or fold in, blackberry jam.

Pour into two round cake pans which have been greased and floured. Cut a round piece of wax paper or parchment paper and line bottom of pans with it.

Bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for approx. 50-60 min. (depending upon whether you used 8" or 9" round cake pans.) Do the toothpick test to see if it comes out clean to make sure it is done. Cake should also be pulling away
    a little bit from sides if it is done.

When cake comes out of oven, place a lightweight dish towel (or paper towel) on the top and VERY GENTLY press down on "rounded" part of cake to get all air bubbles out.
    I normally press entire top of cake to get air bubbles out, and hopefully cake will be level. (Do this on all cakes that you bake!)

After cake rests in pan for 5-10 minutes, remove from pan and cool on wire racks.

* NOTE: Use can use all "seeded" or "seedless" blackberry jam, or use half seeded and half seedless blackberry jam. I normally buy Smuckers jam--because I think it has a better taste.

ICING FOR BLACKBERRY CAKE

2 squares of unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup butter or margarine
    1 to 1-1/2 boxes of powdered sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    2 teaspoons vanilla

In a double boiler, melt chocolate squares and butter (cut butter into pats so it will melt faster.

When melted, whisk in beaten egg and keep stirring while adding powdered sugar.

Take off heat & pan off of double boiler quickly. Add salt and vanilla and stir.

When consistency feels right when beating, ice the cake.

I normally set in refrigerator to completely set up.

(Note: if you don't like the icing recipe, you can fix your favorite milk chocolate icing recipe.)

2. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Oh My Goodness...you have started my sweet craving! That sounds so very good!

I will bet you are a fantastic cook! Wish I could come to your house for Christmas dinner (-:
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

This looks like a wonderful cake! I am so going to try it out! Yummy!

Kellyann
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

YUMMMMMMY!!!

Can't wait to try it!! :)

Thanks!

Mar
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

OK, everybody ..... come on over for Christmas dinner! We'll also be having a Red Velvet Cake because if we don't, my son might just break down and cry. My 6'4" "baby" always has to have a red velvet cake and cinnamon candy at Christmas!

We'll also be having one huge whole ham, with a brown sugar glaze, pineapple rings, and cherries on top, and all the other trimmings of a Christmas dinner! Yummy!!

Next week, we can start baking every day at each others houses -- wouldn't that be great!! Bake, drink coffee, listen to Christmas music in the background, and just yak, yak, yak away in the kitchen while we are baking!!! Oh what fun that would be!!!!! :)

If we all only felt up to it!!! LOL :)

My oldest daughter is going to start helping me bake next week. We're really going to be a pair -- I've been in pretty bad shape for months, and she just had knee surgery on Dec. 8th!! LOL

I can just imagine the smells from the kitchen now!!!!

:)

Happy Holidays!
    Janet

6. JLH

JLH New Member

Acesnanna already started another holiday receipe thread--it's somewhere on the first 3-4 pages here.

I went ahead and copied the Blackberry Cake recipe and added it to her thread.

That's an excellent idea that you came up with for your daughter--coping these recipes on cards to start her a recipe box for Christmas! Since she loves to cook, this will be a very special, meaningful gift to her.

Adding all of your grandmother's and your favorites will just be a treasure for her in years to come.

I am pleased to say that my new DIL has come to me with her recipe cards in hand ready to ask me how I fix what I think are simple dishes like baked spaghetti, etc. She says that she wants to know how to fix some of my son's favorites!!

Through the past years, my own girls have written down on cards all of the recipes that they wanted to take to their own homes, so for Christmas about 2 years ago, I wanted to start another "tradition" and I decided to buy them both every year a new cookbook of some sort.

Amazon.com is just amazing on how many books they have. I didn't have a bit of trouble finding cookbooks that would suit them there!

I like to collect cookbooks myself, so I guess I am passing on my passion to them--whether they like it or not!! LOL

Even though I'm not able to cook a lot anymore, I just bought myself 2 new cookbooks. My oldest daughter likes to read them, too, and will try recipes out of them.

One was Southern Living's Cristmas Edition 2005. Oh, wow! Is is amazing! I even buy them just to read the recipes! The pictures are oh so delicous looking, too! The other one was Martha Stewart's new Cooking Handbook--I think that's the name--it has her picture on the cover with a huge cake on a pedestal, I think.

Hope you put some of your favorites and your grandmother's in the new holiday recipe thread!!! I'll be watching for some of yours!

Lots of Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I think your idea for your other daughter is fabulous!! My older daughter is the cook. She is the one that is married and has my 2 grandsons!!! My middle daughter is the one who is the doctor (senior resident) and can't boil water! She is book smart, but has the kitchen dumbs!!! That would be perfect for her, too! And ... my new DIL is the same way!!

I think it's a great idea to start a thread on helpful household hints! Why don't you start it since it was your idea!

Thanks so much for your kind words ... are you trying to make me cry or something!!! I really love you too! There are about a half dozen people here on the board that I can count on to reply to my posts--and I ususally post when I am really down and having a bad day and really need someone!
    Of course, you are one of them!

I feel like if we lived in the same town that we would be best friends! It's strange that when you have never met someone in person, yet you really feel close to them. I kept forgetting to post the cake recipe and when I would be on the phone with my oldlest daughter, we've been talking about what we want to bake for Christmas and it would hit me, I would tell her that I have to get out my cake recipe to send to a good friend on the board. She would even remind me!

I really appreciate your friendship, too! I'm kinda down today because I feel so bad. My whole upper chest and back--like around my rib cage--is all inflamed due to my lupus and every breath I take, it hurts. My low back is still flared up and the bone pain in my legs just won't quit.

I didn't get out of bed today until 2:15pm!! I can't believe it--it's getting later and later. I got up around 8:30 am but just couldn't make it, so I went back to bed at 11:00.

At least my DH is carrying in all the firewood for me to load the wood stove during the day while he is gone. I told him it was just too much for me to carry from the back yard. I can't get over him helping me like that!!

The other day he came in from work and looked at me and said, "My, but you look like you are really struggling today." I told him thanks for noticing--and that I've felt like that for months now!

He even ran the vacuum cleaner through the house after work today!! This is the 2nd or 3rd time this month!! Before the last six months, I would say that he had not run the vacuum more than a dozen time in the entire 35 years that we've been married!!! No joke!!

Well, gotta go for now. I just checked my email and say the notifications that I had a reply to a post, so I was anxious to hear from you, so I got on the board.

I got on the computer to type some letters "from Santa" to both of my grandsons that I do every year!! They love to get these letters and, so far, think they are from the "real" Santa!!

I'll be back on the board in a few hours for a while!

Much love,
    Janet