Attn: All BOOK CLUB MEMBERS--Please VOTE on July's Book.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

New people are welcome to join and vote, too.

Below are the titles. Check the previous book club post or Amazon.com for plot descriptions and reviews.

Standing in the Rainbow, Fannie Flagg
    Breakdown Lane, Jacqueline Mitchard
    The Language of Baklava: A Memoir, Diana Abu-Jabar
    That Old Ace in the Hole, Annie Proulx
    Too Close to the Falls, Catherine Gildner
    The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
    Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden
    The Highest Tide, Jim Lynch

Let's close the voting on Sunday night, US time.

As usual, once we've chosen the book, let's read it and post thoughts, opinions, personal reactions, or comments on it during the last week of July.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

The Secret Life of Bees, since I suggested it!

The others sound good though, too!

kholmes - just an FYI, on your posts, you can delete your previous (This Message was Edited on 6/30/2006) text each time you edit.

Each time you go in to edit, just go to the bottom of your message and highlight that text and hit delete. There will always be one (This Message was edited...) comment. It will be the most recent one--the edit you are doing currently. That way you will only end up with one "This Message..." comment per post even though you may have edited it 20 times. Make sense?
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I like the 40s! :)
    ((sh-boom!)) Shannon
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

TwinMa: Thanks for the editing tip. I never realized I could do that, but I was tired of seeing "This Message was Edited on ...." so many times.

Honora: Join our club!

Hmm...I definitely see your point about writers , but I think some male writers can write very well from a woman's point of view (i.e. Henry James, Reynolds Price, E.M. Forster, Scott Momaday). Willa Cather and Toni Morrison wrote pretty well from a male point of view, too.

I'd be curious to see if you think Golden pulls it off in GEISHA.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2006]
  5. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Some very interesting books to choose from!

My vote is for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Kat
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Secret Life of Bees - it looks intriguing-maybe we can just read all the others for the next few months, seeing as we seem to have several greta choices, that should keep us going until Christmas!

Maybe you could just order them so that a thriller follows a romance type of deal so we get a good mix. This way you could keep all the current suggestions as they are all so good, and just start with Secret Life of Bees.

Love Anne Cromwell
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm with shannon on" Standing in the Rainbow " really like that Era also! thanks!
  8. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I suppose I joined too late to get a book sugestion in, oh well, maybe next time, haha! If it is not too late I'd like to vote for "The Secret Lives of Bees." Sounds good!

Take Care and have a happy, pain free, safe fourth of July!

Kellyann
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

... because I recommended it here a month ago and it deals well with a woman with an illness as well as her family.

However. I have read The Secret Life of Bees so that would put me in a good position since I've read none of the others recommended so far. I thought I'd ordered the first one from the library but it never did show up. Now I can't remember the name of it.

Face it, I'll read anything that I can get so I'm easy.

Oh, for next time: Consider "man and boy" by Tony Parsons.

Marta
  10. windblade

windblade Active Member

Breakdown Lane by Mitchard, because I thought her previous book 'Deep End of the Ocean' was gripping and well written.

The one I had suggested: 'The Language of Baklava: A Memoir' is non-fiction, so that can be saved for when we have a selection of non-fiction.

Sounds like a good range to choose from!
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We need more votes!

Kholmes
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Why not just go with the whole list? see post of mine above. They are all so good. Start with whatever came out on top here and just assign second place for August and third place September and so on. I think our book club shrank down or people are away or just too hot....maybe they DO want the tea and scones......

Love Anne Crom
  13. Jamarz

Jamarz New Member

Hi Jan here or Jamarz: I vote for Secret Life of Bees. A wonderful, wonderful book. I have always wanted to discuss this book with a book group. So
    that is my vote. I read it a few years ago, but I love to re-read books and since I have fibrofog, who can remember what they read 2 weeks ago?
  14. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I don;t care which one we read...maybe just start at the first one adn go down the list each month....and if more are added add them to the bottom of the list...

jennie
  15. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Honestly, they all sound great! Standing in the Rainbow and the Secret Life of Bees both capture my interest. Looking forward and thanks again Kholmes for taking this on.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  16. spacee

spacee Member

My "brain" is overbooked until Oct. So plz keep the club going!!!!

I just ate at the Whistle Stop Cafe which has Fannie Flagg's
    Fried Green Tomatoes adverts on the wall. I am glad to learn that she has this book out.

Look forward to your discussion whichever book is chosen!

Linda
  17. millennia

millennia New Member

Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden
  18. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

Standing in the Rainbow is a GREAT book!

I'd be thrilled to read it again.
    It gets my vote.

But I'll be happy to go with the majority vote, and will try to get the book read and participate in the online discussion.

-wordbyrd
  19. place

place New Member

ONe of the best books I have read in a long time! I could not put the book down, The movie was a waist of time.

So good!
  20. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Please let me know so I can get an order in at amazon.com.
    When are you taking suggestions for next month? I guess I suggested the wrong type of book before. Okay, that is fine....I have a new suggestion for August: "Ya-Ya's in Bloom" by Rebecca Wells.She is the author of "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood."

Taken from the inside front cover:

When four year old Teensy Whitman prisses one too many time and stuffs a big old pecan up her nose, she sets off the chain of events that leads Vivi, Teensy, Caro, and Necie to become true sister-friends. Told in alternating voicies of Vivi and the Petites Ya-Yas, Siddalee and Baylor Walker, as well as the voices of other denizens of Thorton, Louisiana, Ya-Yas in Bloom shows us the Ya-Yas in love and at war with covention. Through crises of faith and hilarious lapses of parenting skills, brushes with alcoholism and glimpses of the dark reality of racial bigotry, the Ya-Ya values of unconditional loyalty, high style, and Cajum sass shine through. Necie's wise credo, " Just think pretty pink and blue thoughts," helps too...

What do you think of this suggestion for next month? Can you add it to the list? How many member are there in the book club now?
    Kellyann