Attn: All Book Club Members: Pop Quiz Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jul 19, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just finished Fannie Flagg's STANDING IN THE RAINBOW last night, our July book.

If you decided to skip this one, you're missing out. It's very funny and entertaining, and it creates a world of memorable characters. It traces the story of a whole community in Missouri from the 1940s through the 1990s. Fannie Flagg is a great storyteller, and this book is broken into many short chapters that are funny and touching. If you haven't read it yet, you have another week.

Here's a pop quiz question: What line of business does Dorothy's son, Bobby, go into?

Let's start posting on the book on the 25th.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here I just read the book last month, and now I can't remember. I do remember Bobby went into the service. I remember it was kinda surprising he was successful in his work. Was it undertaking? Well, whatever it was I guess you could say it was some sort of undertaking.

Land O Goshan. Once I belonged to Mensa. Now I'm the village idiot.

Well, I do remember what he tied to the water tower. That's something, I suppose.

Just got Fannie's book "A Redbird Christmas" from the library yesterday. Eager to start it.
  3. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

Bobby ends up going into the poultry business with their old family friend Charlie Fowler.

I finished this about a week ago. I live in southeast Missouri, so I have actually seen many of the towns named in the book!

Looking forward to discussing it on the 25th,
    Kat
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

and if I remember right, the joke is that Bobby is getting in the fowl business in the late fifties with a man from Kentucky (get it: Kentucky Fried Chicken?).

Rockgor: Let us know how the other Flagg novel is.
    Mensa? Someone should do a study on the effects of CFS and Fibro on those in Mensa. Surely, these illnesses make village idiots of us all.

Kholmes
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am going to a different library and see if they have it tomorrow as I am still on the waiting list here. I did enjoy redaing the Breakdown Lane book which is relevant to all here. Hopefully,I can read this month's book before the 25th as I read quickly.

Love Anne C
  6. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I just finished the book today and enjoyed it alot. It was a really nice book to read. Looking forward to the talk on the 25th.

Sandy
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I should be finished reading by the 25th. I'm wondering who our favorite characters are and why, and which scene each of us liked in particular. Right now, I'd place myself at the cake contest, buying up cakes for charity. Yep. :D
    ((book club!)) Shannon
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Fannie's "A Redbird Christmas". Turns out a redbird is southern for "cardinal".

It is similar to the Rainbow book but on a smaller scale. Some colorful characters and a happy ending. I enjoyed all her books. Think Rainbow was the best tho.

My partner says she has a new book out, but the library doesn't have it yet.
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

How's everybody else getting by in reading July's book? Thank you for many fun hours with Standing in the Rainbow.

P.S. I do not think I'd live in that Florida retirement community!
    ((hugs)) Shannon
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rockgor: I may have to check out REDBIRD CHRISTMAS.

Shannon: I don't think I'd get on that boat on the Mississipi either!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2006]