Attn: BOOK CLUB. July's book is STANDING IN THE RAINBOW

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Jul 3, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

By Fannie Flagg. New members are always welcome to join at any time!

I'm putting it on hold at my local library, but Amazon and others have it. Alibris.com is a good online book site, where you can find good deals. Even better, support your local bookstore! Your library might have this on tape and on CD, too, if reading is difficult for you.

I'm also reading Charlie Chaplin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY at the moment, which is really fantastic.

Let's read STANDING IN THE RAINBOW and then post messages on it starting on July 25th.

Below is a description of the book:

From Publishers Weekly
    From the talented storyteller whose Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe became a beloved bestseller and a successful film comes a sprawling, feel-good novel with an old-fashioned beginning, middle and end. The predominant setting is tiny Elmwood Springs, Mo., and the protagonist is 10-year-old Bobby Smith, an earnest Cub Scout also capable of sneaking earthworms into his big sister's bed. His father is the town pharmacist and his mother is local radio personality Neighbor Dorothy (whom readers will recognize from Flagg's Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!). In 1946, Harry Truman presides over a victorious nation anticipating a happy and prosperous future. During the next several decades, the plot expands to include numerous beguiling characters who interact with the Smith family among them, the Oatman Family Southern Gospel Singers, led by matriarch Minnie, who survive misadventures galore to find fame after an appearance on the Arthur Godfrey show in 1949, the same year Bobby's self-esteem soars when he wins the annual town bubble gum contest. Also on hand are tractor salesman Ham Sparks, who becomes amazingly successful in politics, despite his marriage to overwhelmingly shy Betty Raye Oatman, and well-liked mortician Cecil Figgs, a sponsor of Neighbor Dorothy, who, as a bachelor in the mid-century South, also enjoys a secret life. The effects of changing social mores are handled deftly; historical events as they impact little Elmwood Springs are duly noted, and everything is infused with the good humor and joie de vivre that are Flagg's stock-in-trade.
    Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2006]
  2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

The description of the book,"Standing in the Rainbow" certainly seems interesting! I hope it turns out to be a good selection. Bobby's placement of earthworms in his sister's bed is extremely ornery, don't you think!

I confess, I know very little about Charlie Chaplin. That he was one of the first moving motion picture stars is about all I know of him, and that he was funny. Do you have anything you'd like to share with us about him?

Take Care!
    Kellyann

[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2006]
  3. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Oh man, I loved that autobiography of Charlie Chaplin! I read it quite a while ago and had forgotten all about it.
    Big surprise huh?

Gretchen
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Happy 4th=sounds good to me. I will get it at our great used book store hopefully.

Love Anne Cromwell
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here's what I've learned about Charlie Chaplin:

He was an amazing man--much more than just the "Little Tramp," the silent comedian with a mustache, a bowler hat, and pants and shoes that were too big.

He grew up in dire poverty in London, and his mother went insane, but he made it big in theater and then in the budding era of early Hollywood, making a slew of classic silent films and starting United Artists with Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford. Some of his great films include THE GOLD RUSH, CITY LIGHTS, THE GREAT DICTATOR, MODERN TIMES, and LIMELIGHT. He was an extreme perfectionist who not only starred in but produced, directed, and composed music for his films.

He became extremely wealthy and lived like royalty, travelling the world. Huge crowds mobbed him worldwide, and he hobknobbed with such people as Randolph Hearst, Winston Churchill, the Prince of Wales, Albert Einstein, and Mohatmma Gandhi. He had a scandalous personal life, marrying four times--often to much younger women--and was involved with paternity suits.

I haven't gotten to his account of this part yet, but apparently he was accused of being a communist and was kicked out of the U.S. for his controversial political views in the 1950s. He lived out the rest of his days in Switzerland.

Wikipedia.org would have a good entry on Chaplin if you want to learn more about him, and there is a good film biopic about him, starring Robert Downey Jr.

Take care!

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2006]