Attn: BOOK CLUB Members: Curious Incident of the Dog...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, May 11, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm going to be away from the site for about a week. I have to send my computer in for repair!

Here's a suggestion: Starting around the 20th, how about we each post one comment, thought, question, or response to THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME, and then we all respond to at least one or two other peoples' posts?

Can people keep bumping this message up so everyone sees it?

I look forward to reading everybody's posts!

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope the repairs are more productive than what I usually get.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

for the book club

Anne C
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

bump

Ken, any reason you can't go to the library and use their computer? Or is that too much. I know it is for some people. And me sometimes.

But I'm bumping this for you.

God Bless.
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Gulp! Being away from here for a week would be like being without air for a week! But you'll come through it okay. :)
    (((extra hugs))) Shannon
  6. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

Is anyone else reading this book?

Sandy
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

I finished it - much too quickly. It was excellent - I really loved it. Looking forward to the 20th, to hear people's comments!
  8. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

I ordered it from the library. It should be here in a few days

Jenn
  9. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I finished it in about 36 hours. Very good! But I didn't like some of the language.

I did have to exchange my copy for another one. It was missing 17 pages, but I still finished it.

Looking forward to the 20th!

God Bless.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2006]
  10. FMJen

FMJen New Member

Finished the book and looking forward to the chat!

Jen
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

Discussions start!

12. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I finished the book yesterday and I just loved it! Thanks Kholmes for recommending this to us.

The book gave me some insight as to what autistic people live with, the challenges they overcome and the inherent goodness in all of us. I appreciated that the family was not portrayed through rose-coloured glasses, rather they were shown to us as wounded, imperfect people doing the best they can and making mistakes along the way.

I related to Christopher's journey to London as how something so relatively easy can made difficult by personal challenges. It was a hero's journey indeed. People with diverse disabilities would be able to relate to the overwhelming and frightening aspect of this journey. As someone with fibromyalgia I empathized a great deal.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say about this book.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  13. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm so glad that everyone seemed to like the book so much.

My question is this... do any of you find it more difficult to read than before you had fibro. I used to read and read and many times I wouldn't go to bed because I wanted to read some more. Now, it seems like there are times when I have to read the same paragraph over and over again and even then it doesn't always make sense.

I graduated Cum Laude from college... I should be able to read and understand a book for enjoyment. Arrrgghhh. I get so frustrated.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  14. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

It's so beautifully written that I read it cover to cover in one sitting, completely absorbed - I forgot I was reading a novel.

I cared about everyone in it; even the minor characters are well-drawn and sympathetic. Having the perceptive autistic Christopher as the main character and first-person narrator is brilliant.

Hearing him tell the story in his calm voice lends extra impact to moving & surprising events or observations, because of his understated factual tone and simple perspective.

Despite his matter-of-fact tone, he is very affected by what he discovers even though he has no name for the emotions that are aroused.

The story illustrates the complexity of behaviour & communication, and how it varies depending on personal perceptions of "truth".

People's actions, whether impulsive or carefully deliberate, affect everyone around them.

The characters in Curious Incident react to each other, and experience emotions and/or events within or beyond their control. The way they respond to each other and to the unexpected & unusual makes for a unique and moving story.

15. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I got your message. Thanks.
    Tigger
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

But here goes again!

I enjoyed re reading this unusual book. I was keenly interested in it as my own young son has autism. I identified a lot of the language Christopher, the main character, uses as it is very similar to that of my son's-very literal and pedantic.

This story, to me, illustrates the purity of thought that Christopher has, it is the adults around him that deal in a world of lies and deceit, which is non understandable to Christopher as he cannot accept an ambiguous world.

Adults tell lies, very cruel ones indeed, and deliberately hurt one another, which is something out of Christopher's realm of understanding.

However, Christopher shines through, plodding on, working out in his special way, how to solve some of the things that are puzzling him. I was so happy for him when he discovered the "big lie" and was reunited(don't want to give too much away here).

Mark Haddon, the author, worked for a few years in a school for autistic children, and this gave him the idea for the book. He must have been a wonderful teacher as he really understands the autistic mind, in all its innocence.

I think this book should be required reading for all teachers.

I skipped over the mathematical stuff this time but my DH thinks that is the best part of the book.

In response to other posts so far, it is heartening to read that this book is helping others understand autism, as there are so many misconceptions about higher functioning autism and Aspergers. I would also recommend that people who enjoyed this book read Temple Grandin's "Thinking In Pictures" - an autistic woman's autobio of her own Aspergers(she is now a full professor).

Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2006]
  17. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

This was so different from the usual thrillers/murder mysteries I read. I don't read a book all the way through unless it can keep my attention and this book did that. It was so fresh and different!
  18. thepkk

thepkk Guest

Sounds like a good book. Who wrote it?
  19. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

is the author
  20. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

The book also raised the issue of trust several times in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. I'd say trust was one of several recurring themes. Did others identify an ongoing commentary on trust issues?

To reply to Tigger, yes it's much more difficult for me to read these days than it ever was before fibromyalgia took hold. I go for blocks of time (sometimes for months) when I can barely read. It seems a combination physical and mental issue. My eyes tire and the words dance on the page and it seems the cognitive ability just ups and leaves me.

Thankfully, I have some times when I have no troubles and I can read to my heart's desire.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

[ advertisement ]