Attn: Book Club Members. Let's start posting on PI today!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Aug 25, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's start posting on the LIFE OF PI tomorrow: opinions, commentary, questions, thoughts, etc...

Rockgor just asked me when we were going to start
    Pi-ing. Let's hold it for one more day.

Even if you haven't read the book, feel free to read a summary of it on Amazon and then post on the thread anyway!

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Maybe you could read a summary of the book on Amazon.com and post on our thread anyway!

(Ours is a pretty laid back book club)

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2006]
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Just got it from library yesterday - it looks really good. I love Martel's humor and wit just from the Author's note.

Looking forward to reading it - will catch up on comments later.

Judy
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm at least three books behind.

BUT, I highly recommend "The Monk Upstairs" by Tim Farrington or, as I've said before, his newer one, "Lizzie's War". This guy is just an excellent writer.

Marta
  5. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

Guess I missed your post on the book this month, I will try and get it next week as I always seem to enjoy what you recommend here.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I should probably type this is all caps as the book I got was Large Print. I wonder if that was the reason there was no bio info on the author.

Anyway I looked on the net. The author is from Canada; born the year I was graduated from college. This makes him middle-aged.

He has traveled a lot and lived in India for a year or more. He is currently artist in residence at some school in Saskatchewan. That is an Indian word meaning fast-flowing river. It is hard to spell and hard to type, but the Cree Indians didn't care as they had no written language.

The L of P has a special magic, but I do not want to discuss the plot, etc. as some of us are still reading it.

I did like the author's aphorisms which he sprinkled about like a lumberjack Oscar Wilde.

This is a good one for us folks here: When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling.

The book may present a problem to some of our readers: long paragraphs. Sometimes a page or more.

The author's latest book has the horrifying title: We Ate the Children Last. I can't believe either the author or the publisher thought that would stimulate sales.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The author sprinkled about aphorisms "like a lumberjack Oscar Wilde." Very good one, Rockgor!

What do you think was his best aphorism? (For those who aren't sure about aphorisms, and aphorism is a wise saying, like "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.")

I liked the following on p. 161, where Pi says that fear is "life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacerous adversary...It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy."

WE ATE THE CHILDREN LAST is Martel's recent book? Good lord; the Donner Party have nothing on that one! Martel doesn't look too happy in his jacket photo; it looks like he has indigestion.

Three other thoughts on LIFE OF PI:

1. Doesn't the basic story of Life of Pi--a shipwreck and a boy stuck in the middle of the Pacific on a liferaft with a Bengal Tiger--sound pretty much like this illness?
    Except, I suppose, that we can't "tame" CFS or Fibro at all; for the most part, we just have to live with them.

2. What did you think of the long introductory part up until the shipwreck (everything up to p. 100? What if the novel just covered the shipwreck, drifting across the ocean, and then the ending?

3. Was the additional story that Pi told at the end necessary?

Ken

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You know how they say, never judge a book by its cover? With PI, based on the cover (and Amazon reviews), I was sort of expecting a wondrous, mystical tale, aimed somewhat at adolescents, with personified animals and an epic quest. Diseny, anyone?

Instead, it's a quirky, somewhat bizarre, at times extremely graphic tale. I also wonder if I'm missing its major point about life and spirituality.

Any thoughts?
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

for Pi-ers.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I haven't read the latest book but I'm sure enjoying these reviews! Does that count?? At this rate I figure I could save a lot of reading time and have almost as much fun.

Marta
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As you know I declined to read this book due to graphic nature re animals, but I am enjoying reading other's comments.

Waiting for next month's list too as I have a few new suggetsions.

Love Anne
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So far, I'm not sure very many read this one!

Were you ever right about the graphic nature and its depiction of animals? There was plenty of violence and carnage between animals and between animals and humans. There was also cannibalism

I'm not sure what to make of this novel.

Ken
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

I'm not sure if I'll be finishing the book. I've enjoyed tremendously the author's descriptive powers, and the character of Pi, the humor and wit.

But, I found the part at the zoo very upsetting when it described in detail all the way humans maimed and killed the animals!

And this is all BEFORE the shipwreck.

Now, just reading these few comments, I'm not sure I want to continue - which is a shame because I think the author is a very talented writer.

However, graphic violence, visual or written tends to stay with me for a long time, and I choose my books as carefully as I can.

Have to think this over. Glad I read these reviews as a warning.
  14. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I am newbie so didn't know about the Book Club. I am very interested tho. Do we know the next book to read? I am always reading a couple novels and a couple non-fiction at same time. Think it is my attention span??
    ROCGOR, I think it was you asked about author's info on Large Print Books. I have to read them almost exclusively which may be problem with this club, but yes they don't seem to have a bio on lots of them. I guess they don't have room. Penny
  15. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I really appreciate having this book club I'm enjoying the book but it's a slow go. I like the spiritual piece. Pi wanting to participate in all the faiths. I also feel better about zoos now. But I just started the shipwrecked part don't know about that. Thanks
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Do a subject search on "Book Club" for more information.

I'll post the title for the September book in the next day or two. I always appreciate good suggestions for future books!

Kholmes
  17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Years ago, I read the first 100 pages or so... then picked up something else.

The other day, I read the last 100 pages or so. The exact place that I opened the book that time was where Pi was yelling something like, "Oh God, Oh God, an island!" when he steps onto that seaweed thingy. And then he got all dizzy. I could relate to that. lol

I also enjoyed the references to chocolate bars and cookies.

I liked the part where he proved that bananas float. What do I think of his alternate verson of events? Well, I didn't read the middle of the book. But it was neat that the reporter, or whatever he was, finally settled on the animal version of the story. Was he unwilling to believe that humans could be so bestial to eachother?

I also liked the part where the tiger got stronger again after eating all those meercats. I liked to see him feeling better, even though that was the first scene I met him in.

Maybe I'll have a look at the middle of the book tonight?
    ((xx)) Shannon
  18. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Okay, sorry to be a party pooper, but i'm glad i didn't read it, just listening to these reviews.

I'm with windblade with this one, don't like reading about graphic violence, find it very disturbing.

There is enough of it in real life, why would i want to read about someone making it up?

I don't watch horror movies either.

Sorry,

Misty

can't wait for the next book, when it's picked.
  19. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

Finished this over the weekend as I got a late start. What a good book, yes a bit graphic in points but makes you wonder if you could stay alive under this kind of situation. I just love a good story.
    Dreamer