Attn: Book Club Members--we need a September book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Sep 1, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

New note: vote for books on the other thread.

As we did in July, please suggest a title that you think would be great for the book club and add a short description of it or how you heard about it.

Then let's vote on it. Tomorrow night (Saturday evening), I'll post a separate voting thread with all of the titles suggested.

Let's close the voting by Sunday night, USA time.

New members are always welcome!

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2006]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here's what I'm currently reading:

Light Armour Light verse by Richard Armour, a master who was also a college professor and wrote humerous prose books and books for children too.

Sky of Stone The third volume of Homer Hickam's bio about a boy from a coal mining town who becomes a rocket scientist.

Dear Bertrand Russell Letters and answers from the fascinating British Earl who was great mathemetician and philospher and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. He had a great talent for discussing complex ideas in easy-to-understand terms.

A shoot in Cleveland by Les Roberts A thriller written in the 90s.

Ten Days to Self-Esteem by Dr. David Burns, who wrote Feeling Good, the best-selling book on fighting depression.

All wonderful books, but I don't know that any of them would be especially good for a discussion group.

By the way, Ken, one can certainly tell you used to be a teacher. You pose such good questions.
  4. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

What kind of books are we talking about here? Any kind?
    If so, I am a big fan of Tony Hillerman. Some of his titles are:

Hunting Badger

The First Eagle

Finding Moon

The Sinister Pig

He writes about a Navajo police officer, Jim Chee. They are mystery novels. I think he is an excellent writer and it is hard to put his books down. He was also one of my grandfather's favorites.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wanderingbluedragon: A Tony Hillerman Navajo mystery might be just the thing for September. I haven't read one in a while.

Rockgor: Thanks for the kudos on my questions. Lots of practice, I guess.
    Good suggestions on titles.

I'll throw in a couple of titles for consideration as well:

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman: Adventures of a Curious Character (by Nobel prize winning scientist, Richard Feynman)--one of my favorite books.

The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody, by Will Cuppy.

Osler's Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic, Hillary Johnson

Ken

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  6. rockgor

I read the first two books decades ago. Must've read Cuppy 40 years ago. Don't remember anything except it was funny.

The Osler book I haven't read, but have seen mention of it on the board. Is the reference to the Canadian doctor?

I like relatively recent books. I've tried to read War and Peace, Moby Dick, Great Gatsby. Never got more than a chapter or two into them.

I didn't take freshman English so missed all those classics like A Scarlet Letter and whatever else they were reading.

Janes Burke said in one of his programs, during the Renaissance 1000 books were published a year. Now it's 1000 a day.

No wonder it's hard to keep up.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I finally got The Life of Pi and am on page 95. I'm still deciding if I like it or not.... It's charming, I will say that.

As I said awhile back, I'd highly recommend The Monk Downstairs by Tim Farrington. He also wrote the more recent Lizzie's War but The Monk is a good intro to his style.

The Monk Downstairs is about a young single mother who rents her in-law apartment to a man who recently left an order of monks after 20 years. It's a marvelous story of the monk's reintroduction to the world as well as the perspective of the young woman. Farrington is the author I've talked about writing so well from different perspectives.

Marta
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Marta: sounds like a good recommendation. Let us know what you think of LIFE OF PI. I'm still not sure what I think about it.

Rockgor: I think you're right about Osler being the Canadian doctor. Don't know much about him, though.
    I know what you mean about keeping up with books. I like to read a wide variety. Just finished THE MERCHANT OF VENICE. I taught Shakespeare for years, but never read MERCHANT. I always thought that the best way to read Shakespeare is to listen to an audio recording of the play and read it at the same time.

Kholmes
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What happened to all of those enthusiastic book club members from back in May? ;)

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How about choosing one title out of those you listed? I'll do the same.

Ken
  11. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

I love reading this post cause I get good ideas for reading.

Osler's Web is good but a thick slow read. It is the detailed history of CFS.

I love Jan Karon's work At Home in Mitford is the first in the series.
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just got it from the library today.
    It's 700 pages long, with small print! I may still try to tackle it. But I'm not going to recommend it for book club.

Did you know that Rich Carson started Immune Support in 1990, and he originally called it the CFIDS Buyers' Club?

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  13. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I would really love to read

Watership Down

I just love that book.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for the Karon recommendation.

Ken
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I haven't read it in years, but I love WATERSHIP DOWN. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kholmes
  16. rockgor

Have read all the Jan Karon books. They are wonderful altho a little more narrative and a little less preaching would suit me.

I must say marmalade on a cake sounds terrible. Marmalade on anything sounds terrible to me.

Have read some Tony Hillerman. He is ok, but not a favorite of mine. My partner reads more of his books than I do.

Have not read anything by Tim Farrington, but he sounds worth investigating.

When I was young and living in Minneapolis, the Tyrone Gutherie theater opened. Saw all their stuff for a few years. It was a small theatre w/ a thrust stage. The seats were reaked like an arena. Every seat was a good seat. Right next to the Walker Art Center (museum) which specialized in modern art.

Gutherie did some Shakespeare, always set in a time and place different than the original. Julius Caesar was set in a l9th century banana republic.

Marc Antony made his entrance dressed like an Inca chief/warrior wearing a headdress and a feathered jockstrap. He stood on a platform and did a forward somersault into the arms of his followers. Although soldiers carried rifles, knives were still used for the assination.

Instead of fake blood, pannels were moved in Ceasar's cloak to reveal scarlet patches.

Gutherie also did a Shakespeare comedy set in the south shortly after the Civil War. Some kid in the cast who was about 20 became a pretty big star. My brain fog has blocked out his name and the name of the play.

I discovered it was much easier to understand Shakespeare by watching rather than by reading. Doesn't matter if you don't know all the archaic words. You get all the cues from the inflection and action. It is clear if more than one dialogue is going on at the same time.

Saw Sir Tyrone at intermission once. He must have been about 60, very tall, dressed very informally and wearing tennis shoes. Very rumpled looking. He looked about a week away from being homeless.

I forgot the name of another star who played Hamlet in the first production. He gave his sililoquy in a red smoking jacket. The reigning stars the first few years were Jessica Tandy, Hume Cronyn and Zoe Caldwell.

Did Zoe ever make a movie? She was wonderful on stage.

17. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

Any of the books listed in a previous post with the author being Tony Hillerman sounds good to me. The post about the navajo police officer in his book sounded really good.

Sandy
  18. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

:)
    I vote for Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
  19. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I just finished reading a book called Marley & Me: life and love with the world's worst dog by John Grogan.

It is a lighthearted humorous book about man and his dog. It is incredible funny but it has its inspirational moments.

I would need to look up the other books that all of you mentioned and see what the plot is about.
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

AHA! Fight, I'm so glad you liked Marley & Me. I thought it was a very heartwarming book. I've only heard of one person I know who didn't like it and her name shall not be mentioned....

Kholmes, you said: What happened to all of those enthusiastic book club members from back in May? ;)

Ken, I suspect they're all trying to read The Life of Pi!

And yes, Tim Farrington is worth a read. I wish I knew an author to compare him to but I can only say what his books are not: They're not like The Life of Pi - or Watership Down. It's easy reading but it hits an intimate cord at the same time with real-life situations and feelings that we're all experienced.

I vote for either The Monk Downstairs or his newer one, Lizzie's War. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out if the ship with Pi and family on it headed for Canada really did sink or if he's dreaming....

Marta