Attn: Book Club: the first title is...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, May 4, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME, by Mark Haddon.

A former student recommended this book to me, and I found it to be a novel like no other. I've been looking forward to reading it again. It's short, and you should have no trouble finding it at the library (though you may have to reserve it because it's popular). It's also available on tape and on CD. New and used paperback versions are available on Amazon and other sites. If, like me, you've already read it, let's read it again. I think it will provoke some good thoughts and discussion.

How about we all finish it first and then post messages about it during the last half of May, say from the 20th until the end of the month?

Kholmes
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I'll get it tomorrow. I'll probably finish it tomorrow too! LOL

What genre is it? It sounds humorous.

God Bless.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.
    Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It does sound interesting. I know several people who have autistic children, mostly mild, and I have learned that these are such special children. They have such an innocent view of the world sometimes.

It should be a good read, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

God Bless.
  5. intensemom

intensemom New Member

I am excited about this book. It's been so long since I've read anything that doesn't have to do with parenting or my illness. Before the illnes I was a voracious reader...but it's hard to focus sometimes.

I will get this book from the library tomorrow...they have a copy in both the adult section and youth section so I will check it out for my daughter too(she's 10). It will be something we can do together!!!

Do you like Gary Paulsen books? Hatchet is my favorite! I was a teacher too...but can't teach right now.

Thanks for organizing this!
    Tracy
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

A friend loaned me her copy over a year ago. What an amazing 'voice' for the author to narrate in. I just had this sense of the voice being completely genuine! I wish I could join the discussion, but I gave the book back ages ago, and my memory doesn't serve up the finer points after such a lengthy separation the way it used to.

But I'll be interested in reading the discussions...
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

like a herd of turtles as my mother used to say.

Ken, I read about Adrian Mole several years ago. Will get the book and refresh my memory. I ordered it from the new Los Angeles branch library (3 blocks away) on my home computer. It will be delivered to the branch in a few days. Pretty neat, huh?

I see the book won several British awards and the Carneigie Medal.

Intense, I read Hatchet too. Gary Paulsen has written a whole bunch of books, but Hatchet is the only one I've read. I often think of the book when I go to the supermarket.

In one of those amazing kawinkeedynks (that conspiracy theorists love) my nephew was reading the same book 2300 miles away.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm a huge Gary Paulsen fan as well. I can't remember the titles, but he has a book about running the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska that I loved. I also liked his nonfiction account of buying a Harley and then riding it across country.

Kholmes
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I will pick it up at the library tomorrow. (Added later - No I won't, I just tried to reverse it online and I am 3rd in the queue.) Must be a popular book!

It is about time I started reading again, too, not just computer books or fibro books.

Sue in Ontario
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I did an online search of my local library by title and by author and couldn't come up with it. Go figure. Probably some duh thing I'm doing!

So I got the ISBN No. from Amazon. In case anyone else has this problem, here it is:

ISBN 0-385-51210-4

And we're off, like a herd of turtles! You crack me up Rockgor!!

11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Whoopee, I use this book when I lecture on autism. It is a great book.

Wow you really started something here.

The Bill Bryson book you mentioned is called "Walk in The Woods". He is USA citizen married to a Brit and they all moved back over here to New Hampshire but only lasted a couple of years before they returned to UK where he is indeed, working for a University "up North" (his wife is from Yorkshire).

Thank you so much-see how starved we all are to "get together" OT?

Lovely, I look forward to hearing all the responses.

Love Anne C Oh and for USA people, the way one pronounces Siobhan is Shivorn, for when you are redaing. The audio version is excellent.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

A Walk in the Woods. Bryson is a wonderful, humorous writer.
    I've read his book on the history of English, as well as his NOTES FROM A SMALL ISLAND and his books on touring Europe and Australia.
    What IS it with my brain? I seem to be forgettin titles, right and left lately! :)
    Kholmes
  13. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I've started it and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. It's really good...riveting.

Thanks, Ken.

God Bless.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think it's great that your 10-year-old daughter is reading the book along with you.
    I hope other book club members consider inviting their sons/daughters/nieces/nephews/grandkids/siblings/parents to read it, too.
    Kholmes
  15. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

This is a terrific choice - I read it last year and loved it!

I look forward to reading it again, and hearing everyone's comments.

Roseblossom
  16. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Thanks so much for organizing this!!
  17. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Fantastic idea - count me in.

I have not read the book yet but I will go to B&N tomorrow and pick it up.

Knowing me, I'll have it read almost immediately and then it will kill me to have to wait until the 20th to discuss!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  18. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I went on e-bay this afternoon and order the book from a Buy It Now auction. It should arrive in a couple of days.

Sandy
  19. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Please, please, please consider first buying the book through your local independent book store, NOT the big box stores or giants like Amazon. Used or new, they are often the heart & soul of small businesses that communities need to thrive!

Public libraries are a great source, too! If they don't have something you can ask the librarian if they can get it on inter library loan.
  20. FMJen

FMJen New Member

I have read the book and it is a good one - it's been a while so I will reread it. If you are going to go to Amazon to buy it - try buying a used one. I have sold a lot of my old books on Amazon, it's a good way to make a few bucks and recycle the books.

Looking forward to the discussion,
    Jenny