Attn. Book Club;

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pat460, Apr 27, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

I love to read, can anyone join or is this a private club? What are the rules and how do you all go about the whole thing? If I'm overstepping the bounds here just ignore my post and I'll get it. I've always wanted to be in a book club but, because of the FMS and other medical problems I don't get out too much.

Thanks, Pat
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Anyone can join, even people who listen to the book on tape, watch the movie version, if there is one, or just want to chat!We're a very laid-back book club, always aware of the ebb and flow of this illness and how it can restrict our reading or allow us time to read more. We've been going for a year now.

Usually, we suggest and vote on a book (I need to post that now), then read the book and discuss it during the last week of the month.

Hope you join us! I'm a former English teacher, now disabled with ME/CFS, but I'll never assign a paper!

About once a month, someone, not always in the Book Club, posts a "What are you reading right now?" thread.

[This Message was Edited on 04/27/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the book club. The first rule is: anyone who asks how to become a member, is a member.

In the past we had stricter standards. You had to own your own socks. Or know someone who owned his own socks.

We started last year so we haven't read too many books yet. Ken just posted a request for suggestions re: our next book to read. New or old, doesn't matter.

I stopped at the Goodwill on my way home from the library today. Picked up a copy of "Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer. Should be a refreshing change from all the thrillers I read.

The porch is a good place to read. You can drop in there too.

4. pat460

pat460 New Member

I'll definitely join you all in May. Can't wait to see what we will be reading.

I'm glad you no longer require the socks Rock, especially in pairs, as there is an enormous beast residing in my home who is addicted to socks! I don't own many anymore. I've nicknamed him Dryer. I think his wife, Washer, could be stealing them for him. You know us women, we're crazy enough to do just about anything for our man!

Glad to have found you guys. This should be great fun!

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Rocky, have you read books by Lee Child? I seem to be the only one who just found him?

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I got a nasty scratch from a cat today. What we endure for those furry beasts.

No, never heard of Lee Child. I am always eager to hear of new authors tho. Just read a little fiction by that English lady who wrote Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Not my cup of tea.

And how is the lovely Sophie, Sophia, Soapie these days?
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi Rocky,

So sorry to hear about the cat scratch. I hope you cleaned it good and put on an antibiotic ointment. Cat scratches can be nasty things. There's a cat at the shelter I call The Feline Stapler and my hand and arm are just now healing from her last attack.

The Lee Child book is holding my interest - as much as my interest can be held these days. It's a little similar to Patterson's OLD style, before he started co-authoring - and yet not. It has short chapters and just enough going on to keep me awake without having to take notes. My kind of book.

It's about a macho ex-military cop named Jack Reacher ("A Jack Reacher Novel" that includes nine others) and in-trigue. I tend to like books with continuing characters and I choose not to analyze that since it might not say good things about my ability to accept solitude. You might like it. One friend did say that the previous Jack Reacher novel was not to her liking although the others had been. I never have figured out, looking at the list in the front of the book, if the first was last or the last is last.

I'm pretty sure you'd like "thirteen moons" by Charles Fraizer, especially if you liked Cold Mountain and enjoy history.

Sophie is fine. She's become a sweet, loyal considerate cat except for her neurotic need for a mid of night bed check and her great love of eating. I'm trying to allow her these little foibles considering I have so many of my own. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Yesterday was my birthday (Honora called me to sing to me!) and my kids stopped by later in the day. At this point - the grandkids, not the singing - Sophie headed for the basement where she stayed until everyone had gone. Our pets do become like us.....

I hope you enjoy at least one of my book recommendations. Let me know!

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]