Attn: Book Club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 3, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I just can't seem to get it in gear on getting a book going for May. Don't worry; not doing worse. In fact, I'm getting out a bit more.

This month, how about we just read what we want, recommend good ones to each other, and talk about books, gossip, and where Rock should move?

Right now, I'm reading The Lost City of Z: a Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon. It's about the disappearance of the explorer, Percy Fawcett, who believed that he was on the verge of finding the remnants of a huge lost civilization along the Brazil/Ecuador border. It's excellent.

Just finished a classic, too: Old Goriot, by Balzac. Never read any Balzac before, but have to say, it was very fresh and timely.

What are you all reading?

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sounds good to me. I am still waiting for "Home To Harmony" to arrive in the mail since I left it at my sister's place.

I am flexible and will go with what other's want.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Surely someone can come up with a conversation starter.

The weather is always a hot topic. It's raining cats and dogs here. Anyone know how this expression came to be.

Me neither.

Here's a bump!!!

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks, Gap!

Ever read anything about Jungian psychology?

I picked up a book at the library called A Beginner's Guide to Jungian Psychology. I had been teaching students about things like archetypes and "the Hero's Journey" for years, but never really knew that much about Jung.

Reading him is making me feel Jung again.

How are things up in the northland?

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I read about Jung in a comparative psychology course but remember very little about the man. Didn't he and Freud have a falling out?

Several years ago, I read a fiction book that has Freud as one of the characters. I believe it was about Freud disappearing for a couple of months which really did happen but in real life, he had just forgotten to tell anyone that he was going on vacation.

In the fictional part of the book, Freud has run away and is contemplating suicide as he is in love with one of his patients. I will ask my friend who gave me the book to get the title and refresh this poor addled brain's memory.

I am getting ready for company as I am taking my daughter, SIL and granddaughter out to lunch and then coming back here to celebrate Mother's day. My daughter is pregnant and due in a little more than a month. However, the due date may have been miscalculated or she is going to have one big baby. She has the sonogram on Friday to determine which it is or if it is both.

If she goes into labor while we are eating, she will just have to wait until I finish.

It has been rainy most of the week here in Illinois. The sun is out today but it is not very warm.

Where do you live? Judging from your comment, somewhere south? Boy, am I sharp or what?

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2009]
  6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

My psych prof cracked up when I pointed out (in front of the whole class) that Freud seemed to have some serious unresolved personal issues.

Psych is a fascinating topic, tho! What are your top 3 suggestions for psych-reading?
    No. Dr. Phil doesn't count.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Interesting question. Yes, a lot of psychobabble out there.

Let me think about this one. Do you mean textbooks?

The DSM-IV R (? sorry my brain just shut down.) is informative but I would highly recommend a companion book that gives you more information. The companion book tells you why the DSM was written, how it is to be used, etc.

Perhaps a book on the history of psychology or one that discusses the different theories of psychology. In the last 20 years our knowledge about the human mind has grown leaps and bounds.

I have an undergraduate degree in psychology and an MEd for working with students with emotional problems.

However, that does not make me a therapist or mean I have any great "insights" into people's behavior.

I guess you can say I have always been interested in psychology. I will have to think of specific titles or maybe someone else will have some.

Don't forget, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, LOL!!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2009]
  8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Freud had some hang-ups...

Yeah, the historical aspects of psychology interest me.
    What little I've read about asylum life & deinstitutionalization has been absolutely fascinating!
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello, Bookies!

I've missed 'ya.

I have been reading ev-er-y simple Robert B. Parker book I can get my hands on and I think I've now read them all. Seems my brain's on vacation and Bobbie B. fits just right. It's a good mix of security, psychology and crime. He also has a good website if anyone is interested.

And I definitely have to recommend a book called The Help by Katherine Stockett. I read it before my brain cramp. It's a wonderful story of the black maids in the old south in the 50s and how they dared to tell it like it really was with the help of the daughter of an employer. It's very sensitively and beautifully written.

And last is that I got notice that David Rosenfelt (with a t) has a new book coming out in July. I like his stuff a lot when he writes the series with Andy Carpenter as his main character. Another good website, by the way.

Good reading to you until we meet again,