Attn: Heavy Metal music lovers--what's safe for teens?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SweetT, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Just discovered that my oldest daughter likes metal. So that would make a nice holiday present. What current bands are safe for a younger teen to listen to. She says that metal gets her going-----------helps her make it through the rest of her day.

So, I'd like to get her what works, but don't want to get her anything that's not appropriate for a young teen.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Kids are coming back to "Metal" like mad these days.

Metal is the real heart of Rock & roll. I know because I've lived it.

See if she's into 80's heavymetal, their intrest usually leads them to it. If so music here is endless. 1) Dokken, Ratt, no Poison, that might ruin her intrest, Ozzy anything, but especially with Randy Rhodes. That should get you started.

I'm glad to hear it, my daughters into it too. That makes it easier on me when she's in charge of the radio. Also she can find Hair Metal on aol xm radio. aol can be accessed by everyone now.

Any Metal really is fine because you really can't tell what their saying anyway, Motley Crue's another band.

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Of exposing her to the hits of the '80s. But I also wanted to get her what she's been listening to on the radio and I don't follow the new bands. She's always had an interest in Marilyn Manson (that she wouldn't admit to) but Marilyn is too rough for even me :)

The strange thing is that this is the same little girl who had to have Al Green at age 6. My girls are like their Mommy----they can appreciate just about all types of music. Of course, they like hip-hop, r&b, and pop, even bubble-gum pop first and foremost, but they don't limit themselves.

Now that I think of it, it could be instruments that my oldest daughter likes. Al Green's songs, and Beethoven's songs (yes Beethoven) and metal are heavy on instruments. Hmmm.

My youngest daughter likes the guitar. I was hoping she'd become a female Hendrix or Clapton.

If I could do it all over again, I might've had a band or group in the '80s, and it probably would've been metal.

4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

This is a tough question since in my house pretty much anything goes; my parents let me listen to what metal I want.

I do have to admit mindbender DID have a point, however, when he said most of it you can't understand anyway LOL

Ummm *insert lots of squeaking and spinning wheel noises here* I'm not big on 80s metal, but I'm guessing that would be a good place to start that isn't too rough. I'm not up on "normal" metal bands these days, so I like the 80s suggestions that are popping up. I started listening to Metallica when I was 11. I'd venture to say they're fairly safe, at least the old stuff (which is the better stuff anyway).

I dunno, it seems hard to find anymore some good metal without all the horrible cussing. I can take any but that one certain word, then ick.
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

All I can say is be careful!

My daughter's 20 and likes music of all kind. (BTW, she likes Al Green too from Ally McBeal series)

We listen to all kind of music and I love rock/metal too. So I hear things on the radio, like them for the music but don't really listen to the words.

OK, big's amazing what they're talking about in those songs. They may NOT have bad language in them but they're depressive, it's like many of them are nuts and talking about it through their music.

I only noticed this recently because my daughter (bless her heart) is mentally ill, so I started paying attention to the words because she's singing along.'s rough out there.

In my day we had bands like Triumph (fight the good fight every moment) or REO (Keep Pushing, even if you think your strength is gone) to keep me going. They practically raised me.

But it isn't like that anymore. So don't worry so much about content (ie: cussing), listen to the words or go to a lyric web site to find out what they're singing about.

Nancy B

As someone mentioned the labels, what I was trying to say was it's not just the 'explicit language' labels you have to watch out for. Listen for lyrics like 'I tried so hard but in the end, it doesn't really matter' or 'I hope they kill you'....things like that. I know I was shocked to find out what they're talking about in some songs that I really liked the music to.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  6. emttoni

emttoni New Member

(showing my age here too! lol)

THere was a hair band called Stryper. They were a Christian band and they had a few albums out if I remember correctly. They did the "hair band" type of music that was popular at that time.

My dd likes Hinder now. I have to admit I like a couple of the songs myself but you were right - you have to listen to the words cause some of the songs now a days have some FILTHY lyrics. They even cause me to be embarrassed in front of my kids and the radio gets turned to lite music until the song is over amidst many protests. If you find some you like let me know so I can get some for my girls too!

Hugs ~ Toni~
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and how old is your teen? i never personally paid much attention to musical lyrics. he never hurt anyone buy listening to whatever he likes to listen to. music is a freedom of speech. now some rap bands can get pretty fouled mouthed. but there will be a sticker on the front of the cd case in the store that says parental advisory on it.

every family has their own family values so it is difficult to impose my own family values on you. but you do need to choose your battles wisely.

a friend of mine who has a psychology major and raise two grown son gave me this advice awhile ago. if cody wants to grow his hair long, who is it hurting? if he wants tatoo's who is it hurting?

if he is cussing like a fouled mouth sailor he needs to know it is not acceptable outside the home.

i was in the grocery store the other day and a mother was letting her fouled mouth way early teen cuss like a sailor. i was going to say something. it is not that i have not heard any of these words before. i just thought the kid looked ridicoulous cussing like that. i would've thought the mother would have had better control of his son. even when she did say something to him about it. he stil continued on. i would have told him to leave the store.

he was loud and obnoxious. i guess that is her parenting skills at her best. i need to go now and go to school.

8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I would find out what bands she likes and then research them a bit. or post them here and ask us.

Does she like the band Evanescence? They are alternative not necessarily metal so I don't know if she likes them. They have a new cd out. They have some good messages and I don't think there is any parental advisory on it so the language must not be bad.

I read an article about the lead singer who is a female. She says that so many young girls look up to her and she wanted to put out a good message to them. I like their music.

I would check into them and if she likes that band and you think it is appropriate then you could get her that cd.
  9. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Here is a list of some of the more popular groups out there right now. Alot of the music today has the flare back to the 80's, I think that is why at 45 I listen to Rock more than my kids do!

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    System of a Down
    Motley Crue
    Led Zeplen
    Korn (a little heavier metal)

These are the more popular bands right now, unless she is into the girls singers right now like Britney Spears. My kids aren't and neither am I really. Except I do like the Pussycat Dolls.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2006]
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I never 'monitored' my kids music and my son has been into VERY heavy metal since he was 12, he's 25 now, a very well balanced, decent young man.

Marilyn Manson, he's just an entertainer, no big deal, no 'hidden darkness' at all. Buy her what she likes.

11. mindbender

mindbender New Member

One thing I left out was the cussing, you're absolutly right, todays so called "metal" ( more like hard rock ), has entirely to much cussing and sexual content.

What's sad to me is that theres no need for it. It's not adding to the artistry of the music or movies. It's been done in the past without it, and everything was just fine.

My opinion,

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2006]