Attn: IowaMorningGlory:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Nov 27, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just posted a response to you on the Book vote thread about your home state.

I noticed on Mickie's thread that you know a bit about computers.

I have a computer question for you. Under Control Panel, and Add or Remove Programs, I'm trying to remove a Dogpile toolbar. It says, "Dogpile Remove Only," but when I click on remove, nothing happens.

The Dogpile program is causing occasional me to shut down occasionally, when I'm on Internet Explorer. But I can't remove it. When it tells me the system needs to shut down, it says the program is running as an Add-On, but whether I disable or enable it, it still causes IE to shut down occasionally.

Any ideas?

Much thanks.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  2. larryh

larryh New Member

I am not IowaMorningGlory, but I do know about computers. There is supposed to be a remove item in the programs menu that will remove Dogpile, but to really be safe you need a antispyware program that will detect and removes things like Dogpile. Spybot Search and Destroy is one freeware program that works fairly well.

Larry
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll give it a try.
  4. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Unfortunately Dogpile generally piggybacks in a program called Gator. In any of you program files or windows files do you perchance have anything that say Gator or has a picture of Gator?

Larry is correct generally Spybot Search and Destroy and also Ad-Aware is an excellent program also by Lavasoft that will as a rule get rid of these.

You should have a spyware program on your computer and I run mine on a daily basis, especially on the kids computer. It ALWAYS picks up something that has wiggled its way in.

If you see anything by gator after you do a spyware program let me know and we can see if we can get rid of it.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Larry: I loaded Spybot Search and Destroy, and ran it. Thanks for the tip.

Iowa: I got rid of 35 or so Spyware bugs, but I'm still having trouble with Dogpile. I haven't seen anything labelled "Gator," alas. Still can't remove Dogpile either.

6. IowaMorningGlory

Before you try the following, when did dogpile appear? You can do the following but let me know the answer to the above if it doesn't work.

Go to Start and click on My Computer, then click on Local Disk C, then click on Program Files. Look in Program files for a folder labeled Dogpile or if you know the maker of dogpile it may be under it. (Also while you are in there look for that gator guy.)

If you find a folder for dogpile, do not open it, put your cursor over it and right click and delete. (Do not do that for gator)

Thank you and take care,
    Blessed Be and Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  7. larryh

larryh New Member

There is a good chance Dogpile will reinstall itself even if you delete it because it hides copies in various places on your computer. Try downloading the free version of ADAWARE. Uninstalling it manually requires editing the registry so you are better off finding software that will remove it for you unless you know someone who knows what they are doing well enough to hack the registry.

Larry
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Iowa: Hey, that worked. I deleted it.

Larry: I hope Dogpile doesn't come back. But where can I find a free version of Adaware (not just a free download and scan, but the whole thing for free)?
  9. larryh

larryh New Member

Adaware Se is now only available as part of something called Google Pack. The link below leads to a download page. After you click the large button marked "download Adaware Here" you get the Google Pack page. Uncheck everybox except the one for Adaware before clicking the download button at the bottom. I tested this so it does work.

http://mydirectdownload.com/o/adaware.html

Personally I use Panda Software and Spybot or Adaware never find anything since I installed it. It isn't free, but it does work great. You need to know that no one program can detect and remove every bit of spyware and every virus so it is good to run a couple, but never at the same time.

Larry
  10. larryh

larryh New Member

After you install Adaware you will find you also installed something called Google updater. If you do not set it to not update without your permission it will go ahead and install all of the software you unchecked the boxes for. Just read carefully and it isn't hard to configure.

Larry
  11. IowaMorningGlory

You can get the free version of Ad-aware by copy and pasting this link to your browser. You will not have any problems this way is very easy.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Oh and for all interested AVG anti-virus software is also free if you cannot afford Norton. I am letting my Norton expire soon as I cannot afford it. What I have found is AVG is just as good if not better than Norton, unless you are fortunate enough to get the one that covers virus and spyware together. It too is easy to download if you are interested and do not have another anti-virus on your computer at this time.

Let me know how it goes. Any other questions let me know.

Thanks and take care,
    Blessed Be & Kitten Hugs,
    Laurie

P.S. Sitting here at 4 in the morning not able to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a looooong day. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2006]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I managed to delete Dogpile, but it did come back, and IE is still shutting down because of the Dogpile Add on.
    I downloaded and ran AdAware and quarantined thirty items, including Dogpile, but it's still causing problems.

Any other ideas?

Ken
  13. larryh

larryh New Member

Ken,

This isn't easy, but unless you want to spend about $30 for a software program to do the removal you are probably going to have to do this manually. There are instructions at this link.

http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/dogpile-removal

Larry
  14. IowaMorningGlory

This may take a little time, but it should work. Larry may have a better idea, but this is worth a try.

Go to start and pull up search. In search you want "all files and folders", in the box put in "dogpile". See what all files it brings up. Write all those down, they should explain where to find them and go in and delete all the dogpile files manually, or if one accidentally comes up "dogpile uninstall" try finding it first and see if that works.

There may be an easier way but I know that is how I finally got rid of all the gator that was on mine.

You can try this, or see if Larry has a better suggestion.
    If you want to ask him too, just put his name next to mine in the title and he should respond too.

I hope this helps Ken, I know how irritating it is to not have the computer working right.

Good luck and take care,
    Laurie
  15. larryh

larryh New Member

Dogpile also run an executable file called unwise.ese you need to check for. Unwise.exe is supposed to be part of an install routine, but dogpile hijacks it.

Larry
  16. IowaMorningGlory

I forgot about that one. Thank you for the input.

Do you think what I suggested should work?

Us computer geeks work well together. Well except right now I have a kitten walking across my keyboard!

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be, (Now he is sitting on the keyboard!)
    Laurie :)
  17. larryh

larryh New Member

My guess is it is about 50/50 on what works. Dogpile is a real pain. It is one of those things that really irritate me.

I just noticed that AVG now has a free spyware tool as well as free antivirus. I am going to give it a whirl in a bit unless I forget like I forgot I made coffee this morning until about 3 hrs later.

How big is the kitten? Mine is over 10 lbs now and has been banned from my desk ( at least when I am around). We named him Dennis for Dennis the Menace and he lives up to his name all the time. I came home yesterday to find my mouse dangling by the cord off my desk and the cat swatting it around. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Not all geeks work together well. Too many of them think they know it all and get bent out of shape if anyone else tries to offer an opinion. I found out a long time ago that I don't even know a little let alone everything. I am just good at finding answers.

Larry

18. IowaMorningGlory

No problem, I have come to the fact I don't know everything. Please, just ask my kids! They do however know everything and heck they are only teenagers!

My kitten is a rescue from a lady that got kicked out of her house so nowwwwwww I have 4 cats and a cuddly kitten (Boots). He is awesome he weight maybe 2lbs and he already puts the dogs in their place and has impressed the other cats so much they like him!

I usually have Taisha (my calico) on my lap and either Snowy (my pure angora) or Boots (the kitten) walking in front of me as I type. Now Tigger he is our 20lb cat and pretty much he does what he wants. Then there is Dallas (my sons gray tiger who is 11years old).

Oh! and I do to sleep...just not for long periods of time. :)

See ya later and take care,
    Laurie

19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad I can give both of you a tough problem to solve.

To have not one, but two computer geeks helping me out; I'm starting to feel pretty special. And you're both working well together!

Ken
  20. larryh

larryh New Member

Ken,

If I know Laurie she and I are both thrilled to use the knowledge we have to help one of our friends on the board. I don't get to do the things I used to do so well very often anymore. Besides, we are all family aren't we?

Larry