Attn: lichu3 Campbell's self help course

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shar6710, Feb 14, 2007.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I saw in your reply to me on another thread that you are taking the online course. It is on my to do list to sign up for the March session, but I would love to get your impressions first.

Thanks,

Shar
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Shar,

I hope you don't mind my butting in here.

I took the course, and found it very worthwhile. Of course you can read the book on your own, and most of the concepts will probably not be new to you (they weren't to me), but it's the accountability the group brings that makes this course valuable, IMHO.

Every week your group responds to a topic. These "topics" include setting targets, and checking in with the group on your progress with your chosen target. The target setting provided the discipline I had been struggling with.

I also learned some new ways of doing things from group members that were not in the book.

Because of my sensory overload problems, I found the flurry of emails a bit difficult to deal with at first, but then I learned to print them out and respond when able.

Everyone is placed with a others whose functional status is similar to theirs. This helps immensely.

I highly recommend it, and may take the course again. If you've taken it previously, I think you get a discount.

After the course, you have the opportunity to sign up for an alumni group that responds to topics on a monthly basis, as well as periodic target-setting groups in which everyone focuses specifically on a target of their choosing.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2007]
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm so glad you responded and you are welcome to butt in anytime. I always appreciate your input. I feel I know you a little from exchanging posts on here and if you think the course is worthwhile that's good enough for me.

My DH and I discussed some options last week about how I should proceed now that I came out of my bad crash. I explained about the antiviral treatments being tried by so many and the possibility of seeing Dr Lerner. In the interests of full disclosure I explained about side effects and the herxing involved. This is important because of the animals and his traveling if I become bed-ridden again arrangements would have to be made.

Then I told him about this online program. We agreed that for me, waiting on the antivirals and doing the course instead was the best plan for now. And that trying the online course would perhaps improve the quality of life and level of functioning.

I printed off Bruce Campbell's information from his website some time ago and tried to incorporate his program on my own. Like you say though I needed accountability and also some guidance I think to really benefit.

Also when I did it on my own my brain fog and sensory overload was much worse than right now. I think I'm functioning at just the right level now to do it right and make some headway.

I did go ahead and sign up while it was on my mind. Otherwise I would be May before I remembered again!LOL

Thanks again for responding and I hope you are having a "good" day.

Shar

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I think you made a good call. I am tempted to try Valcyte, but am in the same boat as you are. I really don't have anyone around who could be with me while I go through the herx. But I am considering pursuing Toxoplasmosis treatment because my IgG for that is very high first, anyway.

I'm OK. The migraines are back (ugh).
  5. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I read most of the stuff on the website before taking the course. Most of the info you receive in the book you purchase is available on the website already. Interacting with others is fun and provided me with some new ideas to pursue to control my symptoms. There are 15 people in my class but only about 5-6 post actively including myself. People are from all around the world. The accountability as mezombie wrote is a big part of what makes the course work.

Campbell has a very practical approach to managing CFS and the book/course doesn't promise to cure or treat CFS. There is some talk of diet but he doesn't go into supplements/ different medical regimens etc. and the course discussions also don't focus on this although I'm sure you can always e-mail other members about their treatments.

I have found that following the suggestions made by the course does help me to keep my symptoms controlled to some degree so I have a couple hours a day where I can engage in some light activity with minimal symptoms.