Attn: Lisapetrison, Mbofov, CCT, Forebearance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I called BioZ in California and found a doctor in my town who does impedance cardiograph tests. I met with him this morning and brought the Peckerman Study and Myhill protocol articles. Problem was, the tech didn't know the exact testing protocol (she was just going to have me lie down the whole time), so I'm going back later this week for the test. They are checking into it, but I thought I would just ask you as well.

Did you have it done while lying down for ten minutes and then standing for five minutes? Did you lie down for a while first and then have them start the test?

If you could let me know the exact procedure, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Much thanks.

Ken

[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I noticed that you also posted a question like this and wondered if you found out any more information.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2007]
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Okay, here is what I did. The tech who did my test didn't know anything about the study, either. So I read the procedure out loud to her, and we did what it said.

In the part of the Peckerman article where it says "Design and Measurements" it says:

"Testing was conducted in a quiet, temperature-controlled room between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM. The subject was instructed to have breakfast but not to consume anything with caffeine for 4 hours before presenting for the study. The study protocol that provided data for this report consisted of a 10-minute period of supine rest, followed by a 5-minute period of quiet standing. I.C. was recorded with a ..... The means of 2 30-second data samples recorded during the last 2 minutes of the supine and standing periods were used in analyses. ...."

It didn't seem that complicated, so we just followed the instructions.

One thing I did do was, I asked her to lower the exam table so that it was completely flat. I wanted to make sure I was all the way "supine". I guess usually they take ICs with people lying on the exam table and reclining at an angle.

The BioZ machine spit out the results immediately, and I went home with a copy of them. There was a printer attached to the machine.

So the tech that I worked with was great, and perfectly obliging. Unfortunately, the doctor who owned the BioZ machine was lousy. When I had an appointment to see him, he looked at the four print-outs like he was thinking "??? What have these crazy women been up to?"

But at least I have the results, and now I can take them to a GOOD doctor.

Someone else pointed out (I think it was Mary) that you have to do the lying down portion of the test first. You can't talk, or laugh, or anything, during the test.

Standing quietly for five minutes was like a stress test for me. Normally I have to shift around frequently when standing in order to keep from feeling too bad.

Forebearance
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sounds simple enough.

Did she record the data for you just during the last two minutes of each period (lying down and then standing), then? Or was she recording the whole time?

5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes. She took a measurement during minute 9 and minute 10 of lying down, and during minute 4 and minute 5 of standing.

It takes 30 seconds for the machine to take the measurements each time it does.

It may not be necessary for the average patient to take 2 readings in each position. One in each position would probably be enough. But I was just following the study protocol. :)

Forebearance
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm getting mine done the day after tomorrow, and I just want to make sure they do it right.
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I hope it goes well, Ken! And I hope you let us know what your results are.

Forebearance
  8. cct

cct Member

kholmes,

I was lying down for quite awhile before the tech began the first phase of the test. Then I stood for the second phase.

But, I was talking the whole time! The tech was very hyper and agitated and I was trying to calm her down! Now I am thinking that I need to retake the test again becase of all of the talking!

As far as I know, my test results were never sent to BioZ. My treating cardiologist just looked at my low-normal scores along with my high scores and declared that I was perfectly healthy! That was the end of it.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It probably doesn't matter that much that you were talking. I'll ask about it tomorrow when I take the test, though.
  10. cct

cct Member

kholmes,

Thanks for asking about talking while taking the Impedance test. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Good luck with the test. I hope that it goes well.

We will be waiting to hear your results.

Blessings,

cct