ATTN: Pet Owners

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Do any of you have one of those Peticure nail filer for pets that are advertised on TV?

It looks like a good thing, but trying to find out if anyone has one and if it really works, is it noisy??

I don't want to fork out the $$ if it is a worthless thing.

2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I haven't used it myself, but I just Googled "peticure reviews" and found some other people discussing it.

Some of the negative remarks include:
    very cheaply made - like a Dremel only flimsy
    the rechargeable batteries die very quickly
    accounts charged long before product is shipped
    takes a long time to receive it
    poor customer service

The comments were from Feb - March 2008.

As of April 28, 2008 - The BBB processed a total of 19 complaints about this company in the last 36 months.

BUT... some people just love it.

Positive remarks include:
    dogs get used to it quickly
    much safer than clipping
    quieter than a Dremel
    works great

The only thing different about this and a Dremel is the guard that fits around the filing band. It has the holes in it that you stick the dogs nails through, and catches the nail dust. They sell that "safe guard" by its self, for people who already have a Dremel tool. It fits most models.

It's possible that since they had a lot of complaints, some of these issues may have been resolved, like the crappy batteries. They do have a corded model and one (the petite) that works on either the batteries, or plugged in with the adaptor. You can see them all on their website at

Hope that helps!

3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I watched that commercial and noticed that the thing looks pretty flimsy. I'd check at a pet store, Pet Smart or Petco, and see what they carry in this line. That way you can pick it up and handle it to make sure its a good one.

I use a dremel on my golden but I've never been able to get the lab used to the noise and vibration even though we followed all the trainers advice about getting her used to it.

The other thing is that it's harder than it looks and takes quite a bit of practice to get it right. Holding the thing can be tough, too.

What I actually use is my power carving Foredom (I say Dremel because most people aren't familiar with a Foredom). It has a seperate hand piece that attaches to the motor with a flexible cord. The hand piece is much easier to use and you can get an attachment like this for your dremel. It also lets you put the noisy part a little farther a way from the dog.

I still clip and then use the tool to smooth. I've found it's just as easy to get into the quick with the Dremel as with the clippers if you're not really careful.

My sister has three labs that do agility, rally and obedience. She has raised guide dog puppies and has had and trained dogs for years. However, she takes hers to a breeder who uses a Dremel and does them for her for free as part of the package when sis bought a puppy from her.

Good luck!

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

to find our old dremel and use that instead. You can get dremels fairly well priced these days. Just cost me $15 for my old cat to have his claws cut. We thought he had arthritis and it was his claws curling over (not retracting) and stabbing him as he walked, poor love!

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

No, I just become a pin cushion until I can get my cats to the vet for a trimming. My older cat detests having her nails done so it's a trial for us both. I wouldn't begin to try it with Honey, my little wild cat/stray. Good luck with the tool.