Attn: Rockgor

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How are the bridge games going? How is your memory holding up?

What are you reading at the moment?

I finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. It read like a spy thriler. A bit grim as far as international politics go. A friend got me reading The English Patient, and I'm a third of the way through. Beautifully written, but not as much of a plot as I'd like.

Did you catch my note about Prairie Home Companions opera show? You can listen to it on

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Hei" is Norwegian, not a typo. Gordon and I have given up bridge w/ live people. I just play on the net now. Most days the computer (or the server or whatever) won't let me play.

Started playing bridge 49 years ago. Can still do a squeeze play (which the textbooks say is the mark of an expert), but sometimes in the middle of the hand I forget what cards have been played. Very annoying.

I feel like an aging gunfighter. One of these days some hot-tempered kid w/ bad judgement will shoot me down in a dusty cowtown while an off-stage chorus hums Streets of Laredo.

Never heard of Confessions of an EHM. Sounds too intellectual for me. I just finished Paula Poundstones's book and will do a book report on it when I summon up the energy. Have been reading circus books lately. Kinda fun.

My energy level has been really low the last couple of months. (Oh, there's Charlie at the door. Looking for kibble or better.)

Didn't go to the library today as it was raining. Just as well as it's a 20 mile roundtrip.

Yes, I saw your post. Couldn't get the G. Keillor thing to work. Just read a few chapters of a book w/ portraits of public radio people. Said Garrison hated having his privacy violated. Told friends, etc. to not cooperate w/ people writing about him.

My memory grows worser and worser. Yesterday, tho, it was the chiropractor's memory that needed adjusting. He forgot our appointment. Oh well...

Best regards to you and Wendy.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My last bridge game was in 1990 at Carleton, when I was working at a counselor on a summer program. I can't remember how to play the game, let alone what a squeeze play is.

Hope all is well with you and Gordon.

Sorry your energy level has been low. I can relate. It's a good thing our library is within five miles, or I probably wouldn't make it.

I started the Paula Poundstone book, but couldn't get into it. I enjoy her humor, as well as Roy Blounts' and Tom Bodet's on the radio show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," though.

Don't get the impression that I read nothing but intellectual stuff. I also picked up "Scrapbook of a Taos Hippie" and "Baby Brother, On These Streets, No One Can Protect You," one in a series of G-Unit books by 50 Cent--the latter in the latest gangsta, street-lit genre that I've never read.

So far, I'm not impressed.

Hope the weather is good out there in the City of Angels.