Attn; Rockgor

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Suzan, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Zenouchy posted to me and suggested that I write to you..

2 weeks ago my husband of 28 years..announced he "cant and won't be my caretaker for the next 10,20,30 years of his life"...

So..after 2 weeks..I am beginning to get my feet back under me..and have decided that I need to persue legal protection so that I am not left with out income ( I am 54)..

If you have good legal advice for as far as what questions to ask a lawyer about what I can go after..and what I am entitled to..I would so appreciate it.

We relocated to a new state a year ago..and I have no connections that is making it tough. I have names of 2 lawyers who are supposed to be aggressive in a courtroom in a divorce...So I am trying to make at least an appt with one of them. I want to go after everything I can...I don't want to leave something out that I could have had...FM kicks my butt hard..and working has been out of the question for the past 3 years...A fact that he as agreed to...and has actually written to me and our children about ..and I have a copy of that.

I have gathered what I feel is pertinent financial info...but I don't want to forget anything.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give..I am in KY btw.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't know if Kentucky is a community property state or not. Been over 35 years since I took a course in community property, and that was in CA, not KY. And I never practiced family/divorce law, so I am no expert.

Anyway, in a community property state each spouse is entitled to half the assets of the marriage. Certain funds are exempted such as an inheritance.

But your atty will know all that. All you need is a list of assets. Money, real estate, art works, pension rights, improvements to property, value of insurance policies, IRAs, collections, a business, jewelry, animals, stocks and bonds, etc. Everything of valule. The main thing you need to give your atty is a list of all assets.

Divorce is miserable to go through, but it can also be the start of a better life. When I was a kid over half a century ago, I didn't know anyone who was divorced. Now I hardly know anyone who isn't.

One other thing. Perfectly nice, reasonable people sometimes become crazed when in the midst of a divorce proceeding.

Refusal to compormise about anything makes the process more upsetting than necessary. It prolongs the legal matters and runs up atty fees. And sometimes it makes the parties so angry that violence/property damage results.

I wouldn't want that to happen to you.
    good luck.

3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I know that I will find out more than I wanted to know about KY divorce laws..but I appreciate your two cents..I am gathering up my info for my meeting tomorrow...
    At this point I feel like I got line on a good man to work with..
    He was recommended to me by our county atty.

We don't have much...but I do want what is mine by law...including the profit of sale of our home...Pension, IRA...etc..