Attn: Rosiebud

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 24, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very nice of you to say, my friend!
    I've been doing a little better (after a five month relapse) and might be up to doing Book Club again. Do you think there would be enough interest to start it up again?

How are you? How are things in Glasinborough/Edingow? :)

Sounds like you're reading some excellent books!

I've heard Suite Francaise is great, but it's a bit ambitious for me at the moment.

I'm reading E.M. Forster's Where Angels Fear to Tread, because one of my former students is reading it for a class and I agreed to read it, too.
    Also reading Roger Moore's memoir, My Word is My Bond. A bit dry, but he's always been my favorite James Bond (sorry, not Scottish, like Mr. Connery!)
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you've just put a huge smile on my face, I've really missed you.

I'm glad you're in recovery, its been a long haul for you.

Myself - this past two weeks have found me in the grip of a virus, or a relapse, who knows, I'm just hoping it doesnt last much longer but its been known to go on for months like yourself. I'm managing a few 10 minutes out of bed a couple of times a day, fingers crossed it will pass.

I did NOT read Suite Francaise, I returned it to the library and will get it at a later date when I have the emotional fortitude for such a story.

I'm reading Zoe Heller's Notes on a Scandal, saw the film, book excellent.

Here its back to dull, wet days after a month of nice sharp, cold days and Britain is officially in the grip of a recession - doom and gloom but you've had it longer over in the states - I'm sure we'll all survive. Poor Obamba, the whole world is looking to him to rescue us.

I think there will be a few people here who will want to join the book club but we do need you as the leader or we just go to pieces.

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very glad to hear I put a smile on your face. I've missed you, too. You know how Macbeth is always called "The Scottish Play?" I think of you as my "Scottish friend." : )

Ha, "emotional fortitude," well put.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad two weeks. Hopefully, it's just a virus and it will pass soon. Maybe you'll be able going up the Royal Mile on a warm day soon, or on an overnight to St. Andrews.

I hate the misery and anxiety of the beginning of a relapse. But I love when I start feeling a little better and am out of bed more. I had a hard fall, and my misery seemed endless. I'm still not doing that great, but better than the fall.

Yesterday, I sat outside in a park here in Albuquerque for a short time, in just shirt sleeves, and ate a bratwurst fresh off a grill. It's been unseasonably warm, and it was heavenly. Hope you get some sunshine in your town. The dull, wet days tend to get long after the sharpness and freshness of winter. I guess we'll have to just ride out the poor economy and the weather. Poor Obama does have a lot on his plate and peoples' expectations of him are so high.

Just finished Where Angels Fear to Tread. Surprisingly good! Well, not surprisingly, considering it's EM Forster. Will check out Notes on a Scandal. Also, I may post a Book Club revitalization interest thread this week.

Watching anything good on TV? Any good movies?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I know exactly how you feel when you're in a relapse - its so frightening - when it happens to me I believe I will improve but there's always the nagging thought that this time I may not.

I'm not in the grip of a relapse after all, today I am starting to feel better, thank goodness. So it's been a virus after all.

Sitting in the park in your shirt sleeves - brilliant - just what you need Ken, to be able to get out and enjoy some fresh air and sun.

Good movies? My minds gone blank. Saw 'Gone Baby Gone', the other night, it was watchable, thats it. Looking forward to 'Slumdog Millionaire' - I read the book 'Q & A' - you'd like that one Ken, its by Vikas Swarup, clever little story and well written.

'A Mighty Heart' about the journalist Daniel Pearl - was excellent and very moving, poor man. 'Priceless', a French film with Audrey Tatout was comic and entertaining. Apart from these mostly just run of the mill films lately.

Have you seen any good films yourself lately Ken?

I'm glad you're going to start our book club up again. Activity on the board has declined since its change of format so I'm sure the book club will attract quite a few of us.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very glad that you're starting to feel better! And that it sounds like just a virus. I caught and got over a cold over Christmas, and thought, this is amazing! My body is getting over a bad cold in a week just like a healthy person's!

Ah, Slumdog Millionaire looks great. I saw a neat film about Paris: Je T'Aime Paris, consisting of about 15 different short films set in different neighborhoods in Paris.

I did see and enjoy Millions the other day, by the same director, Danny Boyle. I saw a remarkable documentary called Man on Wire, about Philippe Petit, the Frenchman who tightrope walked between the top of the World Trade Center towers in 1974. To Americans, his walk was just an insane, thought spectacular stunt, but to the French, it's beautiful, a work of art.

Just put Q & A on hold at the library, thanks.

I'm not crazy about the new board format, but what can you do? It seems harder to get onto, for some reason.

I'll have to post on Book Club in a day or two.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes I'm really happy I got over this virus quickly, even out today with my daughter Shelley at hospital, she's pregnant - after 8 years and a lot of heartbreak its finally happening - so I'll be in bed tomorrow 'paying the price' but it was worth it. It's great to get out and get a wee taste of real life - I watch people walk and think 'they're not even aware of what they're doing', its taken forgranted, put one leg in front of the other and off you

We watched Je T'aime Paris and really enjoyed it and I 'll put my name down for Millions.

I'm enjoying Zoe Heller's Notes on a Scandal - I thought I might not, having seen the film, but its even better - she's a brilliant 'new' writer, well 'newish' . Her latest book 'The Believers' was an excellent read too.

Burns Night came and went, its a pity he's only celebrated once a year, his work should be part of the school syllabus but it isn't. My all time favourite is 'Ye Banks and Braes O Bonnie Doon' - the words are marvellous - 'how can ye chant ye little bird when I'm sae weary, fu o care' - nice music too who ever wrote it.

I'm blethering here Ken.

Looking forward to the revival of the Book Club.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The "Thistle and Shamrock" radio show on National Public Radio last night was on songs from Robert Burns.

Check out the Jan. 29 show:

I'll bet you can catch it each week online. I listen to it every Tuesday night before bed. I love the host, Fiona Ritchie.

You know, it's funny, though. When I rode the coach/bus from Glasgow to London in '86, I sat next to a guy from a suburb of Glasgow. I was listening to a Scottish folk tape I had just bought on my Walkman (Run Rig, I think the band was called; they were from Skye), and he was listening to the Doobie Brothers on his. He said he preferred American rock to anything from his homeland. But we had a great time talking about musical preference.

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm not a great Scottish folk song fan myself, many people in Scotland like that - I prefer blues, soul, rock, American folk.

Meant to say one film I saw recently and it was brilliant.....

Everything is Illuminated - Elijah Wood - he goes to ukraine looking for his jewish ancestors - it's quirky and moving - we loved it. If you havent already seen it, I'm sure you'll love it.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What's in your CD player today? I like al of the genres of music you mentioned, too.

I'll put Everything is Illuminated on hold in my Netflix queue.
    Thanks for the rec.

Raining here in NM today, and snowing in the mountains.

Glad you found a cheap copy of our book.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we have had loads of snow in UK over the past week - London came to an absolute standstill last week - no buses, no underground, no taxis, no workers - most snow they've had in 18 years - of course they're not used to it down

We haven't had any for a few days but its back tonight and looks beautiful, just wish it wasnt so dangerous. We aren't geared up for the snow over here though we should be. The skiers in Scotland are loving it, saying its the best snow they've had in Aviemore for years and years.

On my CD just now is 0 - I havent been listening to music much lately, when I get bad I can't listen to music - dont know why yet I can WATCH and listen to musicians on tv. It must have something to do with , I dont know to be honest, my brain and my eyes?? Listening alone gets on my nerves but watching at the same time I can handle. This is a weird illness we have.

The latest was Seasick Steve - have you heard of him. He's a 67 years old American, lives in Norway with his wife and kids - he was a hobbo, rode the trains and played a 3 stringed guitar for years - he's very popular over here - blues, excellent musician and has a very genuine air about him, like he really cant understand what the fuss is about and why he's become so famous here. Look him up on Youtube - you'll find him there.

Hope rain doesnt last though you probably need it more than we do here.

Editing this post to say that Juloo (spell) has informed us that Everything Is Illuminated is in fact a book too by Jonathon Saffron Foer - going to buy it cheap from EBay. When you suggested Amazon for cheap books I remembered that EBay sell books too and got the D Sayer's one from there for £3.50 total.

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2009]
  11. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I wanted to jump in for a this earlier and wondered Rosie, if you like Scottish rock in Marillion? I don't even know if they are still a band anymore, but I lived in England for awhile in my teens and fell in love with that group.

I heard about the heavy amount of snow! I lived near Cambridge and I do remeber snow at times. I visited Scotland w/ my school and what a beautiful land you live in!!!! Where I live it's fairly green (well, not right now) but very flat!

Sorry to butt in...
    Take CAre,
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

fell free to jump in whenever you want.

Yes I know Marillion - Fish the singer is still doing the rounds, he has a studio which other musicians use and I think he sings now and again but no longer with Marillion.

I've never visited Cambridge or Oxford for that matter but of course I know that they are beautiful university cities. (towns?)

It's not that we have a lot of snow here, though we do, its that we are always totally unprepared for it even here in Scotland.

I lived in Canada 68 - 73 and even back then the snow was cleared from footpaths and roads in record time, compared to here anyway.

Where do you live now Cindy?

13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Cindy: I liked Marillion, too, back in the late 70s, I think it was. I didn't realize they were Scottish. Always liked that lead singer's unusual voice.

Were you a Big Country fan? They were huge in the mid 80s, even getting an appearance on Saturday Night Live, and selling millions of records. Their lead singer committed suicide not too long ago, sad to say. I spent the fall of '86 in London, and made trips to Stratford, Oxford, Cambridge, York, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Inverness, the Isle of Skye. I love Rosie's part of the world, too, but I'm not sure I'd trade our New Mexican weather for hers!

Rosie: I put Ev. is Illuminated on hold. Looks great! Also watched the Seasick Steve video several times. He's great! Especially on a guitar with only 3 strings. I love that Mississippi Delta Blues sound, and have even tried to play bottleneck blues on my own guitar. Haven't been able to play since this relapse started, though. You know, I hadn't thought of it before, but when I've been worse (like the last six months), I've found it easier to watch music than to just listen to it, too. I watched the Grammy Awards last night and had no trouble, but just listening to music I find a bit uncomfortable and irritating. How can this be?

Ebay for books? I had forgotten about that. Great idea.

Where is Aviemore? In the Highlands? I've heard of it, but can't picture where it is.
    Hope your streets are finally getting plowed. Albuquerque has all of three snowplows, probably, so when it snows here, we basically just let it melt, which happens pretty quick. We're the same elevation as Denver, a mile high, but an eight hour drive south, so snow doesn't last, unless it's over 9000 feet or so.
  14. PainPainGoAway

HI Rosie-- I live in Ohio now (16 years now!). I remember the snow in England because I had to walk to school but it wasn't too bad. More in my memory is the "heatwave" of air conditioning or even window screens and there was a gnat infestation in our area that summer as well. I still loved living there! I moved to England the same week Prince William was born, lol!!! I think about that when I see him on tv now and then, and think, was it really that long ago???

Wow, Ken-- never knew anyone else in the USA who's heard of them! Yes, I thought Fish was handsome and poetic, lol! I lived in England from 1982-1984. We were a traveling family and I have fond memories of many places, except we never were allowed to visit Ireland. I went to Scotland on a weekend field trip to visit a castle and I can't recall the name...I'll have to look in my yearbook.

I lived in Germany after England and they were really popular in Germany and Holland too. I wanted to name my firstborn "Kayleigh" but it was a still have the cassette of Misplaced Childhood.

Yes, I loved Big Country too! I am an 80's girl, love the British music especially. I was fourteen when we moved to England and my favorite British groups were/are Tears For Fears and the Smiths...still love their music! My kids roll their eyes if they hear it. I'm never embarrassed to admit I love them, but some of their music was pretty depressing.
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's see, if you were fourteen when you moved to England, then you are, (trying to do the math), two years younger than me. :)

Sounds like you had some memorable years in England and in Germany. I never made it to the Emerald Isle, either. Whereabouts in Ohio do you live now? Are you originally from there? I grew up in Minnesota.

So "Fish" was the Marillion singer's name? Now, I'll have to find some of their songs from "Misplaced Childhood" on I remember an album that had something to do with a jester. It's fun to revisit old music. I loved The Smiths and Tears for Fears, too. In high school, I also went through a major prog rock phase: The Moody Blues, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd, King Crimson. Marillion seemed to overlap a bit with the Art rock groups.
  16. PainPainGoAway

You are correct...12 days shy of two years to be exact (I looked at your profile, and I'm April 2). Yes, I have many fond memories of those days. My dad was in the Air Force so we moved many times over the years.

I am not even sure where I'm from originally...I always say California even though I only lived there a few years in between other moves. I live north of Dayton in SW Ohio. Didn't move here until '92. Never been to MN (except passing through) but did live in ND when I was four!!! So you are in NM...far from your home state! My parents retired in AZ and just love it. I am surprised, as my mother is German and loves her four season.

I love those groups as well, especially Pink Floyd-- I almost put "Not Now, John" on your other thread about embarrassing songs but not sure if it's kids love 70's rock groups a lot. I have three and two play the guitar (the other can play a few songs too). They seem to go for older hard rock songs and I just love it! But none of them appreciate TFF or the Smiths, lol. I crack up when my 12 year old jams to Hendrix, since he was even before my time, but pretty talented nevertheless!

Yes, Fish was his name. I looked up Kayleigh on youtube last night and played the video, and then watched two other songs--wonderful to see them. I love youtube. I will look up that website you mentioned, and see what it's about. Seeing the videos brought back even more memories. They always had strange art on their videos and albums. Rosie said Fish isn't part of the group anymore...I'll have to google them later and catch up.

How long have you lived in NM? Did you move there to help with your health? My family wants me to either move to AZ or CA but it's a bit complicated right now (divorced, ex lives here, and I have custody of our three kids). They are convinced I would be better off away from the cold and humidity.

I know what you mean about in Ohio we don't get as much sunshine either as many other places, but I think it is still much sunnier than GB. Summers get pretty humid!

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2009]
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm ashamed to say I've never been across the sea to Ireland myself.(and its not a big sea between scotland and ireland). Yet I've been across the Atlantic a few times and in the med. My Grandfather's people came from there,his Granny Seobiahna O'Flaherty dropped dead in the streets of Durham (England) - I often wonder if she came across during the potato famine in Ireland and dropped dead from the effects of starvation - well, I'll never know.

Ken isnt it strange, being able to watch a concert or whatever on tv but be unable to bear music on radio for long. Sea Sick Steve is really excellent, I love his sense of humour and his total lack of celebrity. I'm listening to The Band right now, got my music ear back, tell you why further on.

I have to share with you that I am now taking oxynorm 10mg 3 - 4 times a day and what a difference its made to me. I kept a note for over a year now of my days - in bed, up for more than 2 hours, or out. My average for last year were Bed - 16 days a month - Up - 7 days a month and Out - 6 days a month. You can see I spent most of my time in bed, some months were over 20 days. this January was 24 days.

Anyways since starting the oxynorm last week, I have been out 4 times and up the remainder - I have not spent one whole day in bed.

I was going to start them last April but the thought of having to take a regime of painkillers and strong ones at that, really put me off - how I wish I'd started back then. If I have to take 3 - 4 painkillers a day and have a bit of a life then thats what I'll do.

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2009]
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

More this weekend! It's fun being on here again. But I spent too much of my computer energy on Facebook in the last two days. Facebook is a lot of fun, and very addicting!

A great weekend to you both.

19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Cindy: That is complicated with three kids and an ex. How old are your kids? Of the two states, which would you rather move to, Az or Ca? I moved to New Mexico from Minnesota in '92 to take a teaching job, and went through a divorce in '98 (my ex wife is a Cyndie from Ohio). Remarried in 2006, after my severe relapse started. It's been fun reading your postings on the "embarassing tune" thread! It's fun to be back on here and make new friends like you.

Rosie: I'm thrilled to hear the painkiller is helping you! I need to start keeping records like you've been doing and start looking for patterns. I'm more on the severe CFS end of the spectrum, so it's not the pain that's keeping me out and about. But here's to more hours out of bed for the both of us! These illnesses must mess with our visual and auditory limits.
    Oh, I love The Band also. I've seen the Scorsese concert film a number of times. I love "I Shall be Released." I heard a Rolling Stones song the other day that's become one of my favorites: "Let it Loose." Very dark, but beautiful.

Hope you're both having a good weekend!

20. PainPainGoAway

A Cyndie form Ohio...oh! I'm glad you found love the midst of such health problems especially! My kids are 17 (son), 12, and 10 (daughters). My son is a senior and will be graduating this year. He would like to live in SC w/ his paternal grand parents and go to school there. If he does, I'd consider relocating. My own parents moved to AZ in '96 and love it. I have never visited in the summer, and the thought of those extreme temps scares me more than snow or cold ever could! I overheat quickly and have a lot of trouble here in the summer. And California, well, I can't afford to live where the weather is tolerable or on the coast. I have family and friends in several areas in CA so it's always on my mind. Today on PBS on a children's show they featured NM, namely ABQ and the hot air balloon festival (is that the correct word?). Have you been to it? In sixth grade a small group of kids in one of my classes got to go up in one-- it was so exciting! We took off from the school! That was in California.

Rosie, I've never heard of that name of that medicine before. I'll have to look it up. I have to spend a lot of time in bed as well. I have to type lying down and can do it rather quickly now. I have to sit up to edit so I try not to make too many mistakes!

This board is so much fun. I ended up moving my computer to my nightstand and have the monitor on my bed, lol! Kids don't like that since our laptop died and can't be fixed but it suits me. I've been around for awhile but rarely visited the chitchat board. Ken, your embarrassing songs thread has been hilarious. I've got a few more, lol!

Take Care,