Aurora Borealis Video= BREATHTAKING

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Mar 25, 2011.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

This is really breathtakingly gorgeous, it was of one of the biggest "shows" we've been treated to apparently in recent years:
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Spectacular. And in 3-D. With music by Hans Zimmer.

Too bad I couldn't watch more than a couple seconds. Video
    kept freezing up.

Used to see the Northern lights when I lived in Minnesota. They were
    ghostly, pale flickering lights, and didn't show up too often. Haven't seen
    them for half a century.

Speaking of Hans Zimmer, I recall from my college German that zimmer
    means room in German. My aunt never used the word bathroom. She
    always said "Badezimmer".

Auf wiedersehen
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

The person I got this from said it froze for her as well, but it didn't for me and I watched it twice... :)(

maybe try it again later, maybe too many were watching at one time?

Growing up 10 miles north of Chicago, I only remember seeing them once in the 1950s... that was rare and special that far south.

Speaking of Zimmer, sort of LOL... when I was a kid there was Dr. Herbert Zipper & his orchestra who toured all the schools around Chicago to get kids interested in classical music... he's evenin wikipedia... a walk down nostalgia lane for me, LOL.

Did I tell you my german-born grandma always called me Wiki? too bad I can't use that as a pseudonym these days online, hehehe....
  4. rockgor

The alternate URL worked much better. Thanks, Jean. I remember one Spring
    night a college roommate and I lay on our backs and watched the Aurora overhead.
    No colors; just a ghostly pale white. Streaks of light shot up from the horizon. It
    was as though we were in a huge circus tent, and the rays of light were streaking
    up the walls to the center peak.

A phenomenon I never saw again.

I looked for you a while back, Jean. Couldn't find you. I guess 2010 was not the
    correct user name. Doh! Anyhoo, come back more often if you can.

Victoria, did you know Dr. Herbert Zipper is an anagram for red rib Hertz prep?

I had German grossmutter too. Don't know much about her. Came over around
    the turn of the previous century. Maiden name was Rudnick.

Ha det bra
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As I mentioned, all my life I've been looking up at the skies, day and night.

I only saw the aurora once when I was a teenager in CO. You can almost never see them that far south. They looked just like the video in shimmering silver and green. What a treat.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was in Germany and the Eastern part of Switzerland, I always asked for "Eine zimmer mit bad" when looking for a hotel (forgive any misspellings; it's been a long time).

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

I didn't know you were a world traveler. Sehr gut! I used to play bridge
    on line; MSN I think. Sometimes would get into a game where the players
    were in 4 different countries. I remember one fellow from Switzerland who
    said folks in his family spoke 4 languages.

Where else have your travels taken you?

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Only to Mexico and Europe. My one trip to Europe included France, Switzerland, Germany and Austria. I would love to go back. All the European kids in my kids' schools spoke a minimum of four languages. I learned enough French and German to get by. We were treated better because I, at least, tried to speak the local tongue. I also learned the money and could count out change. That impressed them more than anything. Before the Euro, Americans would use local bills and come home with a big bag of coins because they didn't understand the money.

Yikes! This computer is doing strange things today. At least, I didn't lose everything in my post like I did at Phoenix Rising last night.

Playing online with people all over the world is so adventerous. I'm impressed1

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2011]
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

that's what I found... trying to speak Spanish, as bad as we are, really helped a lot in Mexico. 90% of the people were very helpful no matter what, even if it meant finding someone they knew who did speak English.

What was funny is that so many times we were speaking very basic English while the other person was speaking very basic Spanish, and we could understand each other...

But I was the first in my family to NOT study German, LOL - no incentive as most everyone had stopped speaking it by the time I came around.

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That was truly stunning - thanks for posting Victoria! I would love to see the aurora borealis live ...

The second link someone posted did not work at all for me, so I used a trick one of my kids told me once. I played the video on the jerky very slow link, and once it had gone all the way through, then I replayed it and it went flawlessly without stopping. The first time through it was downloading it.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I'll use it in the future.

Love, Mikie