Aussiewoman...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misfit101, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I didnt want to hijack a thread. But you asked...i had 14 birds. At once. From the blue and gold macaw down to a little finch that was hand tame and would come when you called and give you kisses. My grey...cockatiel...lovebirds...a conure...canaries...parakeets...i loved my birds. When the kids left for school was time for bird play. I never had a shirt w buttons either lol. I actually just sewed the blouse shut when the buttons were gone. My grey loved to preen my hair...running his beak thru it. He also loved to bite my then DHs feet. He hated that man. Competition for my affections. I spent an hour every morn chopping fruits and veggies. Then the clean up started. Omg it was so much work. I just couldnt let them exist on seed only. Tried to give them what nature would have. They got seed in the eve and even that was a special blend i drove 2hrs one way to get. I was bird batty. You can imagine what it did to me when i had to let them go. Like letting go of children. Now tell me about your babies!
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Your poor little granny! Will getting another mate work or do they mate for life? Its awful to see the bird thats lost its mate. Pluck themselves bald to depression. This is odd...i lost my conure due to my own negligence. I learned a hard lesson. I let him out into my outdoor aviary that i THOUGHT was secure just to find out differently. Never again. I wont tell the rest of the story. My macaw was THE sweetest bird. But out of all the grey was my favorite. There wasnt a sound he didnt imitate nor a word he didnt know. I was the 2nd owner as well. Figured he was previously owned by a man cos he would make burping and farting sounds. Youre dead on in your description so youll understand when i say i had conversations w him. He had the occasional nite fright which would set off the other birds. It scared the bejeesus outta me. I sooo hope the abx works some kind of miracle on your granny. The things well do....all for love.
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I had to google the scarlet chested parakeet...i had never seen one. They are beautiful. In all my years no one ever had one. You know how bird lovers know other bird lovers. But back when it was big to breed the parrots. Primarily macaws. They were huge back then. Always had my eye on a hyacinth but no way i could afford one. At the time it carried a 5000 price tag. *sigh*
  4. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

That is too funny! Demanding little crappers lol. Mine would call me the way you would a dog...including the kissing sound you make. Hed use my name so i knew he was calling me. And hed say "would you PLEASE get the phone" every time it rang. At least he said please lol. It took me almost a year to let them go...i gave most away...only selling my grey and macaw and i made SURE they went to exceptional homes. I was worried about my grey bc it took sooo long working with him that i was afraid hed give someone else a hard time. The lady that took him was great tho. She stayed in touch for years. A prerequisite. I had to know they were ok.
  5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

After the incident with the wall he got moved. And i watched him like a hawk when he was out. I had one of those huge macaw cages but even those are too small for a bird that size. That cage was for sleeping or keeping him out of trouble. Im glad you got your grey back! And TWICE? Thats some kind of miracle. Your heart mustve stopped. Last fall i saw a yellow parakeet on my a/c unit. I tried to catch him to no avail. Somebody else mustve forgotten an open door...
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2010]
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

They LOVED music! All of them. Id turn the radio on and we ALL danced! Kids...birds...me...all getting down to the music. Oh we had so much fun. My grey would command me to "turn it up" (i think he picked up on that from one of the kids) and my macaw would shriek so loudly the neighbors could hear him. Same decibel level when the sun started setting...no music required. And aw is sooo right...owning a parrot is a lifetime commitment. They can outlive their owners. I didnt realize my grey was so sensitive to my moods till one nite when i was upset and crying and he started plucking. I made sure that never happened. I thought once the kids were in bed i could allow my tears. Couldnt hide it from the grey. Thats one thing that deters me now. Health issues aside...i KNOW i wouldnt trust anyone else to care for my bird or make sure it got the perfect home if something happened to me. Altho i HAVE been seriously thinking about a canary or a green singer lately.....
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2010]
  7. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I honestly dont know. Ive never owned a single bird. If mine didnt have mates...i was the mate. Id havd to do some info gathering 1st. I love the song of the canaries tho. And theyre relatively low maintenance. I think. Well compared to other species that is. And one itty bitty male canary (the females dont sing) goes for almost 200 these days! I was shocked....
  8. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Glen im glad you have your furry companion. My birds added something to our lives. I believe thats where my kids love of animals came from. They didnt like the racket sometimes but they enjoyed the interaction. Ive heard so many ppl talk about how their dogs were family members. My sister had to put down her beloved jack russel several months ago and shes still grief stricken.
  9. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hello I'm a stalker.
    Fascinating to read your birds obs Misfit and Aussie woman..

Nature is my inspiration to use a cliche but being sick has made me realize this.
    Aanother time I would like to talk about my magpie dynasty which is dominated by thw Alpha Male but the female half his size runs the show in subtle and clever ways.
  10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Id love to hear about the magpie too! If i remember correctly theyre yakkers too. And they sound like ppl...the male thinking hes running the show but the female...well ill stop. No offense to any males reading or posting. When youre up to it...bring on the tales of the magpie dynasty!
  11. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I was trying so hard to remember the name of a bird that i THINK is in the same family. It came to me today...mynahs. Im probably wrong and im too exhausted to look. They had mynahs at the nursing home my g-ma worked at. I think thats where my love of birds started...i was fascinated with them. And what an experience to actually have an expert SPEAK to you! I saw a program back so long ago about that very thing. Avian intelligence. Im forever convinced they have real emotion and superior thought process. Ive met ppl with less of both. Some days i am that person.
  12. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Theyre members of the STARLING family?? Didnt see that one coming. Whodathunkit? And im guessing you didnt get to write your article. Rhetorical question. I wont ask why....
  13. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Lol. I need to get in on this shill business. I could use the moolah. Sounds like youve lit the fuse.....maybe shell come defend herself.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member