Autism up 50% for 8-year-olds in 2 years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpiroSpero, Oct 4, 2009.

1. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member,0,4836058.story

What reminded me of CFS:

"No one knows what causes autism or how to cure it. Scientists think it may be many distinct problems that manifest themselves similarly. Afflicted children often have trouble communicating and socializing, and they can exhibit repetitive, rigid behavior.

Diagnosing autism relies on observation, behavioral checklists and expert assessment rather than lab tests or X-rays, making it hard to determine how common it is."

I remember Rich or Amy Yasko(?) saying that CFS is like autism for adults which maybe could be the case. Our brains compared to children with autism developed normally until we got sick.

What makes me a little bit angry is that "No one knows what causes autism". Doesn't this sound like a bad joke? We landed on the moon a long time ago, we have technology where people wouldn't have dreamed of 20 yars ago BUT we still know nothing about autism and CFS...

How many billions of dollars are pumped into the medical field every year? But we still know nothing about the causes or cures of autism and CFS? What are these scientists and doctors doing? Why are medical schools so expensive? If I look at a normal doctor and what he does it doesn't look too complicated. Patient comes - patient explains his symptoms - we run some easy blood tests or other tests on him - we get a diagnosis in 90% - we prescribe whatever is "useful" for that particular illness. There is no need to study biochemics etc. because since these doctors don't go into research there is no need for it.

Could someone please explain what CFS or autism is? And even before trying to explain it 90% of the medical field fall into denial that this is a real illness at all. Where are we heading and how long does it take us before we know what autism or CFS is?
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've come to realize.......I do have Autism. The thing is, I think I've had it since I was a kid and CFIDS/LYME has just really brought it out.

When I was in kindergarten, about four and five years old, I got the sensory overload in the lunchrooms. I had it so bad that I used to puke in the lunchroom. It got to the point that my mother was called to the school and I think she started to take me home for lunch. This wasn't a panic attack, it was full on sensory overload, but I was too young to know what it was. So I guess the school just thought I was mental.

It happened again in first and second grade. First grade, I got the same symptoms, I was puking in the lunchroom, I'd shake, I'd get really sick. There were two other kids like me, and the principal decided that we would eat in his outer office for lunch for the entire year because they didn't know what else to do with us. Second grade, he stopped doing that, and I think my mother took me out for lunch for the rest of that year.

Third and Fourth grades, I think I was going home for lunch because at that time we lived a block from the school. So I have no memory of the lunchroom.

Fifth grade, we had moved and I went out with a small group of friends to a pizza place for lunch, we never stayed in the school then.

We moved again for Sixth grade. And I remember having a very hard time that year. I had also become quiet, so I got picked on by the other kids. Withdrawn, probably another sign of autism.

By seventh grade, I was placed into an accelerated program. Just a small group of kids. We'd often go out to a diner for lunch, so it wasn't as bad for me. And I ended up skipping a year of school and graduating at age sixteen.

But I think I've been autistic since kindergarten. And this disease, whether it's advanced lyme or CFIDS or what, it really brought it out in me now. And that's what has made me able to be a file coder. I have that intense focus. When I'm coding, there is nothing else in my world. And that is a sign of autism.

My best guess is, Autism is either a direct byproduct of childhood vaccinations, or it's Lyme. I remember having the Lyme rash as young as six years old. Maybe I was infected earlier, I don't know. But I would have to say, there's something going on.

SpiroSpero, Autism seems to be a certain set of behaviors and issues. The sensory overload is a huge one, having trouble with communication and socializing, too. Having intense focus on one thing when you do something. Autistics don't see the world the way other people do. You can do a Wikipedia search on it for more info.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Do you have links to solid info that the vaccination connection has been "disproven"?

There are many people with CFIDS/ME and Advanced Lyme who display adult Autism symptoms. And in my case, sensory overload was not the only symptom.
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Dogma is static, but science is not.

The studies disproving the autism-vacc connection rely on analysis of the general vaccinated population. And they are funded by ;)

Progress is being made tracking down a number of genes that contribute to the clinical presentations seen on the spectrum. Among nonpsychiatrist MDs who specialize in autism, it's becoming more accepted that for many individuals on the spectrum, there are uniquenesses that go beyond behavior. Uniquenesses that often affect metabolic, endocrine, immune & digestive functions.

The best & most complete physical exam that my DS (on the spectrum)has ever had was done by a highly respected pediatrician, the former dept. head at a state University hospital (a teaching hospital). After his own normally-developing son suffered post-vacc regressive autism at age 18 mos., the good doc and his wife (a practicing RN) started on a path that led them away from conventional medical opinion on autism, towards healing not only for their own son, but many others.

Once we have studies completed on various genetic SNP subgroups / vacc / autism, we'll start getting a more complete -- and after a time, more accepted, picture of what's happening.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

As I said, sensory overload was not and is not my only symptom. I just didn't feel like laying out my whole life's story in a post, which is of course, none of anyone's business.

And since you have no links, your post is solely your opinion.

There are thousands of people all over the net, including many doctors who do believe there is a link to vaccinations and Autism. And it has NOT been proven anywhere that vaccinations are not to blame.

I don't really know why you feel like arguing about this subject, but as far as I'm concerned there is no argument without solid facts.

I am the only one who knows what has gone on in my life. And I know from my life that, yes, I do have adult Autism symptoms and they were here way before any other symptoms and they came on AFTER the lovely four in one shot that was forced on me as a child and almost killed me.

I don't come to this place to argue, so you aren't getting a rise here. Perhaps you should do some research on the link to vaccinations and Autism. There are many places on the net for that.
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

I agree, Rainbow, that there may be a connection and that it should not be ruled out. I hope politics doesn't cause that to happen.
  7. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I once taught Autistic Children so this is an interesting debate.
    I believe some chn beccome autistic after t rauma and there are definite familial tendencies.

So much is unknown in the neurological field that i am very leery of dogmatism.
    Teabisquit can you explain exactly what you mean by file coding..I find that intriguing..
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You neglected to put this part of the article in your post.

"But the higher rate might not mean more kids have autism spectrum disorder, scientists cautioned.

It is not clear more children are affected rather than just changes in our ability to detect," said Dr. Tom Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health.

The rate, calculated by reviewing records in communities across the U.S., echoes findings of a national telephone survey of parents that is being published today in the journal Pediatrics.

The survey, conducted by the CDC and the Health Resources and Services Administration, asked parents of 78,000 children ages 3 to 17 whether healthcare workers or doctors had ever told them that their children had autism spectrum disorder.

Parents of 1 in 91 children said yes, and said their children currently have the disorder. For boys, the figure was 1 in 58.

Dr. Steven Goodman, an epidemiologist with Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said he agrees that the prevalence is higher than years ago and that it merits concern. But he warned against panic.

"This has the tremendous potential to scare people," Goodman said. "It is very unlikely that there has been an explosive increase in the way that has been portrayed in the media."

"No one knows what causes autism or how to cure it. Scientists think it may be many distinct problems that manifest themselves similarly. Afflicted children often have trouble communicating and socializing, and they can exhibit repetitive, rigid behavior.

Diagnosing autism relies on observation, behavioral checklists and expert assessment rather than lab tests or X-rays, making it hard to determine how common it is.

Interpreting data can be tough too. Growing awareness, wider screening and a push to identify the disorder earlier accompany the rise in the rate, but scientists have not figured out whether other factors are also at play."

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Just because autism and CFS share some of the same symptoms or chemical processes does not mean CFS is Autism.

Some of the increase has to do with diagnostic criteria.

When I first started teaching, almost 29 years ago we had many children who were labeled developmentally delayed and today would be labeled autistic.

I also have screened children from birth to five and many a time you could spot certain anomalies where you know something is wrong but until older do not have the Autistic label.

We simply have more knowledge about Autism today.

I have never heard or seen of a case where a child spontaneously develops autism except by parent report You are born with it and is most likely genetic. If Autistic like behaviors develop spontaneously, it is not Autism. These cases are by report from parents and autism is often first noticed when a child is suppose to begin to talk. What are called "angel babies" often turn out to be Autistic. Not all, but some.

Tea- do you know what the criteria for autism is? I will try and find it. Have you been diagnosed with it by a professional or are you self diagnosing. Didn't you state that at one time you had "Gulf War Syndrome"?

The connection between Autism and vaccination was disproved within the last several years. There are NO CREDIBLE STUDIES showing this causation.

However, this study certainly merits further investigation.

10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

in the psychiatric research lit ('tho I haven't ckd the most recent DSM).

In this form of autism, a normally developing infant or young child rather suddenly "loses" previously established developmental gains.

That is not to say there is no genetic basis for the regressions. However, there may well be a triggering event or environmental encounter.

For examples of published research research which suggests acceptance of the concept of
    "regressive autism" by other members of the scientific & medical community, see:

I suspect that some of the statements you made above do have fairly well-accepted exceptions.

Best wishes.
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Diagnostic Criteria for Autistic Disorder
    A. A total of six (or more) items from (1), (2), and (3), with at least two from (1), and one each from (2) and (3)

(1) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(a) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
    (b) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
    (c) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest)
    (d) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(2) qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:

(a) delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
    (b) in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
    (c) stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
    (d) lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level

(3) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(a) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
    (b) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
    (c) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
    (d) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

B. Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years: (1) social interaction, (2) language as used in social communication, or (3) symbolic or imaginative play

C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have found after a quick review of the term "regressive autism" it only appears in alternative sources.

One of the studies you cite simply video taped children at their first and second birthdays. Not enough to prove "regressive autism".

Two of the credible studies are saying that what was considered "regressive autism" were really seizures in one study and in the other article digestive problems.

The others were alternative sources. One was a person's opinion.

When I googled DSM IV and regressive autism I did not come up with anything other than alternative/anti vaccination sources.

Does "regressive autism" exist? I can't say conclusively but it looks like this disorder is simply misdiagnoses. I am still going to look for regressive autism so am trying to keep an open mind regards this term.

Edited for spelling.[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Another possibility being looked at for autism is a Vitamin D deficiency in both the mom and child. It is believed now that this is probably the biggest factor for developing MS later in life.
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have two people in my family who have Autism. I'll tell ya, neither one of them could communicate on this forum. One is somewhat highly functioning meaning he goes to school, can speak some sentences and thankfully has an incredibly pleasant disposition. It is unlikely that he will ever live on his own. The other is severely Autistic - he has to wear a helmet 24/7 because he can be violent. He lives in a home.

I also have a friend who has twins who are autistic. Guess what - she refused to have her kids vaccinated. She had to go through hell, but agreed that she would have it done at 36 months because her sister in law had an autistic child. Both boys showed autism at 18-24 months without the MMR vaccine. Just this morning on GMA, the Dr. spoke about austism and that they have debunked the theory that vaccinations are the cause. I believe in their search they have been looking and searching.

Why would it suddenly become more prevalent if vaccinations haven't changed?
    I am praying and praying every night for a treatment - I have a personal interest - a kid who has stolen my heart. Besides his parents, I'm the only one that he has "connected to" the way he has!

My nephew who I am very close to showed the distinct signs at the same age, about 20 months.
    To even imply that autism and CFS are the same is shocking to me, (or that Austism and anything else are the same). Have you been around an Autistic person?

I also know a woman who has a daughter who has Asperger's Syndrome (on the Austism spectrum) Even she is easy to see the differences in. She has no sense of other people's body language, facial expressions - really doesn't have much of a conscience - or I should say doesn't realize consequences.

I would hope that if anyone was truly autistic, someone else would notice and help would be offered. It would be a very difficult life. The "words and thoughts" are in there, they are not able to 'get out'. I've done a ton of reading and research on the subject.

As a family along with friends, we raised thousands of dollars to send my nephew and SIL to a special "school" in Vermont to "train" them how best to help him succeed.

Sorry to write such a long post, but this hit me personally.
  15. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Genetic disorders don't increase in incidence from 1:10,000 to more than 1:100 in less than a single generation. So, if there is a "genetic tendency" to develop autism, its being triggered environmentally at a substantially higher rate. When I went to school in the 1980s early 1990s there was only 1 autistc kid I had ever met. I went to large schools and Autism is not subtle. I would not have "not noticed it".

The sad thing is, while people argue about the politics and how to count who is and isn't "on the spectrum" and arguing about the rate of increase, Autism is on the rise. If they don't figure this out in the next 10 years, practically every kid born will be "on the spectrum". That is not an acceptable outcome.

Some of these arguments are just stupid. You can't rule out any cause until the cause is actually found. So people who are saying vaccines can't cause it, lyme can't cause it, etc.. are speculating as much as the people who say they can. Scientists need to have an open mind and figure out what the cause is, and stop it- regardless of what causes it and how politically inconvinent it may or may not be.[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry about the two people in your family. No wonder it is a personal matter for you.

Take care.

17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is very interesting. Update on the above article.,8599,1927824,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

Yes the rate is increasing. At this time it is not known what all the factors are.

From my own experience, I have seen children diagnosed as developmentally delayed and later have a diagnosis of Autism.

I started teaching in the late seventies.
  18. dojo

dojo New Member

Okay, this new study should liven the debate

Pitt Study Explores Possible Link Between Vaccine Ingredient, Long-Term Effects
    POSTED: 2:11 pm EDT October 5, 2009
    UPDATED: 8:17 pm EDT October 5, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- Both the seasonal flu and the H1N1 vaccines contain something called thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative that's long been a source of controversy.

Now a University of Pittsburgh researcher has found a possible link between thimerosal and developmental delays.

Team 4's Paul Van Osdol reported that the scientific establishment says all the evidence shows no link between thimerosal in vaccines and developmental delays like autism.

But researcher Laura Hewitson said her study shows something caused the monkeys in her experiment to have problems, either thimerosal or another ingredient in the vaccine they received.

The study compared the reflexes of baby monkeys that got Hepatitis B vaccine containing thimerosal with those that got no vaccine.

"The ones that received the vaccine, they were significantly delayed in acquiring three out of the four essential reflexes that are essential for survival in the wild. The control animals developed these reflexes normally," said Dr. Laura Hewitson of the University of Pittsburgh.

Hewitson said she suspects thimerosal, which contains mercury, caused the delays in the monkeys.

"Actually the brain stem is highly susceptible to the effects of mercury. So it is possible the thimerosal in these vaccines was causing functional brain damage in these infants so they were then delayed in being able to acquire these reflexes," said Hewitson.

The overwhelming majority of scientific studies have found no link between thimerosal and autism. However, the federal government has still removed thimerosal from most vaccines, including Hepatitis B. Hewitson says more research is needed.

"There just isn't enough research and there haven't been enough safety studies in order for us to conclusively say that vaccines containing thimerosal do not have any long term effects on children," Hewitson said.

Hewitson said she will continue studying the monkeys to see if there are long-term developmental delays.
  19. mjj3

mjj3 New Member

Autism like fibro/cfs is difficult to dx, unfortunately no one knows what causes autism or fibro/CFS there is a really good book by Kenneth Bock "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics- Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies and how diet, environmental, genetics and yes immune overload by the incredible increase in the amount of mandatory vaccinations of kids all play a role. I find it interesting that some of these dietary changes, treating allergies and vitamin/mineral supplementation in both kids with autism/adhd/allergies and asthma and doing the same with adults with fibro all help. I am on a sensory processing disorder board(my 4 yr old son has sensory processing disorder/ADHD and some autistic-like traits and there are many moms on there whose children have the above and they have fibro. Also, my fibro sx started after a viral-type illness which could indeed be something with my immune system, by the way yes looking back I did have many sensory issues as a child. I think as far as the vaccination debate, vaccines most likely are safe for the majority of children, but in a small minority the vaccination schedule as it is with sometimes 5 different things with all the comb shots at once does indeed overwhelm the immune system of some children and they do have regressive autism from a body overwhelmed. Unfortunately, the more this is ignored the more we as society will have to deal with this as these children become adults in our society who will care for them? But I also believe, that as hopefully more money is put into autism research, this will be looked into that there is more than one reason and cause for autism, because some kids are symptomatic from birth, they have always been this way and some develop normally for a time and regress
  20. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

The problem in my eyes is that humans are different.

Please tell me that every human cannot get a genetic mutation that leads to not being able to clear out the mercury in the thimerosal from his body and I'm fine.

As long as this is not the case I'm a little uncomfortabl because in the worst case you destroy a humans live by injecting him thimerosal. This is crazy. Why can't everybody decide by himself if he wants thimerosal in his vaccine or something else? Why does it take so long till people realize that standards don't apply for every human because every human is different?

Look at it from the outside, look at all these devastating illnesses from HIV to cancer to MS, to CFS to autism etc.. The scientists are missing something, they are missing something really big. I wonder when they make a breakthrough but I'm sure that when they do within 10 years they will make breakthroughs for all big diseases. They are doing research but they don't come close to the mechanism. Most studies are worthless, they just show that something could be important, while other things aren't. Some people are at risk of this...shouldn't do that...blabla

I want the cause! I want to know the exact origin of an illness. I want to know what is wrong on the cellular, molecular, genetic whatsoever level. Until then a study just gives us some probability but never cures an illness nor does it give us the cause, except for easy to understand illnesses.

Bacteria are a great thing, doctors and researchers can have a look at it through microscopes and thanks to A. Fleming we have a great weapon against bacteria. Antibiotics in my eyes are the only medicine right now that cure an illness. Harmful bacteria grow in too big amounts and cause some illness...we give the patient antibiotics and kill the cause (the bacteria), the patient gets healthy. In this case we treated the cause! Thank you, Alexander Fleming, for inventing one of the few medicines that actually cure a disease.

This is not the case in 90% of all other illnesses. Virostatics are far from wokring good. The whole medical field up to now is still not able to cure the normal flu. Go to a doctor, tell him you have the flu and except giving you NSAIDS against the inflammation he can do nothing. This is pathetic! Billions of humans had the flu, billions of humans went to a doctor and still all a doctor can do to treat the flu is...nothing!
    In my eyes the biggest problem right now is that pharmacology prolongs your life to some degree but never really cures an chornic illness and as soon as the illness gets worse it only starts prolonging your death.

It really gets time that the medical field starts curing illnesses.