Autoimmune Disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chrissy2, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Hi! I was hoping someone could answer some questions about fibromyalgia for me. I've read a lot, but I need someone to explain the following to me in layman's terms.

Is fibromyalgia considered an autoimmune disease? If so, exactly what does that mean (in simple terms)? Does that mean that my body is attacking itself?

Does FM orginate in the brain? If so, is all the pain I feel really amplified? In other words, if someone else who doesn't have FM had the same pain as me, they wouldn't hurt nearly as much?

Chrissy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The jury is still out in medical research on whether our illnesses are autoimmune or immune disorders. Jelly has done a lot of research in this area. Perhaps she can help here. It seems the more we learn, the more the lines are blurred between immune versus autoimmune. I tend to think the distinction is losing its importance. Many go on to develop autoimmune illnesses or suffer them along with FMS/CFS.

For years, our illnesses have been treated like rheumatic illnesses, especially FMS. More and more, our illnesses are being seen as neurollogical in nature. Now, neurologists, for the most part, know very little about our illnesses and do not treat them. It's still pretty much up to rheumies. I believe this will change as research reveals more about what ails us.

The best thing to do is to learn all you can about your illness(es) so that you can be your own best advocate regardless of what kind of doc is treating you.

Love, Mikie