Autoimmune disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyMT, May 3, 2003.

1. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

This may be a stupid question, but I am new to this disease, (having my first symptoms in January and being DX'd just a couple weeks ago)... is fibromyalgia considered and autoimmune disease? If so... what makes it one? I have been searching the internet but have not yet found the answer.

Thanks for your help!

Debbie
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There are several people here who believe it is, and I'm sure they'll be along to explain why.
    I am not sure I believe that autoimmunity even exists. I think it may be the product of the mostly male medical establishment being unwilling to say those three little words "I don't know". When they can't find the organism that causes something, they decide the immune system must be just turning against the body.
    It used to be a "known fact" that tuberculosis was an autoimmune disease.....until they discovered the spirochete that really causes it!
    This is like so many things about this illness...lots of theories and ideas but no proof.
    Sorry to add to your confusion.
    You can go to the top of the page where it says "search messages" and type in autoimmune, and you should get many, many postings on this, since we talk about it often.
    Glad to have you on the Board,
    Klutzo

[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Autoimmunity occurs in the blink of any eye when the body decides its own tissue is a foreign material. This often happens when one has a stealth infection. Since tests reveal that so many of us have these infections, it makes sense that some with FMS will develop autoimmune responses.

Having the stealth infections does not automatically mean we will develop an autoimmune response. I think of it this way. So far, FMS per se is not an autoimmune illness but if one has it, an autoimmune response may ensue. I do not believe it is a coincidence that many with MS or Lupus also have FMS.

Many of the accompanying conditions we have with CFIDS and FMS are considered autoimmune, like Asthma and Eczema. There are a whole bunch of conditions which appear to possibly fall into the same family of illnesses and include things as diverse as ADHD, Annorexia, ALS, MS, Lupus, Parkinson's disease, and a bunch of others. Research is turning a serious head toward looking at all of these illnesses as one big problem which manifests itself in many ways. BTW, AIDS is also part of this group.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]