autoimmune disorders and titanium implants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by les80, Oct 22, 2008.

1. les80

les80 New Member

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and i had juvenille rhuematoid arthritis as a child that is now in remission. The rheumatologist suspects that i will develop some other type of autoimmune disorder later in life, i have my bloodwork done routinely to check for changes. I have had a titanium dental implant for about 4 yrs and it is now failing. The oral surgeon and dentist are wondering if this could have something to do w/ the possible autoimmune disorder. I was wondering if anyone w/ autoimmune disorders have had trouble w/ ur body rejecting a titanium implant of any kind, such as a hip or knee or screws.
  2. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

This is an interesting I have recently researched myself.

I am in the midst of having major dental problems due to certain medications I have been taking. I have already been through 12 fillings, 4 root canals, and a crown in the past year.

It's very important to me to keep my teeth if at possible. I just do not want dentures if it can be avoided.

In any case, I have recently come to the realization that I may start losing some teeth and then what do I do?

So I did a google search on dental implants. I did find that there are certain conditions and circumstances that are not conducive to dental implants.

One being a condition called hypothyroidism, which I have. This is an autoimmune disorder. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or not because nowhere did I read specifically that those with autoimmune diseases are not good candidates. That just happens to be one of the conditions which may limit a successful implant.

This is all the info I have, but maybe you can do a google search and see what else you can find on the subject. I would be interested to know as I have several autoimmune disorders.

Best of luck and take care.
    God bless,