Autoimmune thyroiditis and plaquenil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starmom, Jun 4, 2006.

1. starmom

starmom New Member

I just got a letter with my lab result from my new rheumy. It says I have high antithyroid antibodies, very high. Also very low Vitamin D. And a very high ANA.

Does anyone know anything about plaquenil, that is what the doc prescribed for the thyroid. It seems like an odd med to prescribe for thyroid. Als gave me a scrip for Vit D supplement to take weekly.

I am just concerned and confused as to what autoimmune thyroiditis is????? And what meds are used to treat it.

thanks!

Susie
  2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Hi

I am on Plaquenil. I take it for Lupus SLE. I don't know what Thyroiditis is unless it may be inflamation of the thyroid.

My ANA was positive but not high. I know with the Lupus I have inflamation. The Plaquenil has helped a great deal.

Were you checked for Lupus? Just wondering.

Jodi
  3. starmom

starmom New Member

So I haven't really discussed lupus or any other diseases, other than the possibility of having something along with the fibro.

I just looked up plaquenil and it doesn't seem to be commonly used for thyroid probs, but my thyroid levels are normal.

So I have an autoimmune thyroid problem, but no thyroid malfunction yet. Not sure what to make of all this.

Susie
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hello starmom,

I was diagnosed with thyroiditis but I don't know a lot about it. You may want to do a search on it for some answers.

Im going to have to go to an endocrinologist in July to see more of what is going on.

I tried to read and find out but just don't understand most of it.

Hope you get some answers,

God Bless You,

BlueSky555