Autoimmunity to 5HT & enterobacterial translocation

Discussion in 'News and Research' started by IanH, Sep 14, 2013.

1. IanH

IanH Active Member

2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

So, does all this scientific wording, come down to inflammation?
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

Basically yes but in a quite important and specific way.

The antibodies to the 5-HT receptor mean that serotonin will be less effective than normal. The inflammatory cytokine elevations, IL-1, TNF-alpha, neopterin and IgA changes are indicative of inflammation. In this case this was shown to be against G-negative bacteria, translocated from the gut. Having entered the blood stream through the overly "porous" gut wall.

This is probably a vicious circle. Lower 5-HT activation by serotonin in the gut (where most of your serotonin is) results in massive disruption of the bacterial balance and increased permeability of the gut wall. This in turn causes the bacteria and bacterial toxins (LPS) to enter the blood stream.

Related to this:
    Increased amounts of neopterin are produced by human monocytes/macrophages upon stimulation with the cytokine interferon-gamma. hence IFN-gamma is raised.

What we have shown is that chronic elevation of TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma (and IL-1) act synergistically to decrease the phosphorylation of a substance called BAD (Bcl-2-associated death promoter). This happens also via a lift in calcineurin activity (this is unusual because calcineurin elevation does not usually de-phosphorylate BAD.)

Once BAD is free of its phosphate it causes disruption of the mitochondrial membrane with resulting decreases in energetics and raised toxins and slower ROS clearance. In addition the raised calcineurin affects the functin of NMDA receptors, Dopamine levels and GABA levels.

Note also that BAD plays a major role in apoptosis (cell death). Bad is normally kept phosphorylated by a complex sequence which I wont go into here.

So what Dr. Maes has shown is that the cause of the raised pro-inflammatory cytokines is probably due to 5-HT "autoimmunity". If this is confirmed in further studies it is very significant.

So, in practice what does mean clinically? Well if part of the source of ME/CFS is the gut then treatment of the intestinal permeability and entero-bacterial imbalance is a start. Whether this alters the 5-HT receptor is another matter. If we can improve the gut function then maybe the inflammatory cytokines can be lowered and in time the vicious circle interrupted. This is the tenet of Dr. John Chia whose son was "cured" of CFS by treatment of the gut.

It is well known that many so-called autoimmunities are related to gut malfunction, autism nearly always has severe gut dysbiosis.

We recommend and use:
    Bovine colostrum (Highest quality NZ source), complex probiotics, equilibrant, vitamin D3, melatonin+5HTP along with the mitochondrial support regime.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ian - that's amazing. I can only get a sense of what you're saying, my brain can't absorb all those details. But it's very interesting nonetheless. I have an appointment to see Dr. Chia at the end of December. I notice you say his son was "cured" of CFS - why do you put cured in quotes? I have read about equilibrant being used by Dr. Chia. Right now I'm proceeding with a mercury detox and want to give it a fair trial before I see Dr. Chia. Otherwise I would try to get in to see him quicker via their cancellation list.

Mary
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

Just another point about the inflammatory cytokine IFN-gamma. Is has been known for a while that raised IFN-gamma itself does alter intestinal permeability and the adhesion of luminal bacteria to the membrane and consequently the translocation of LPS and other bacterial toxins. For example this is a major factor in inflammatory bowel disease.

When a person is low on vitamin D (ie less than 30ng/ml 25(OH)D) they will be low on intestinal defensins and cathelicidin. These are antimicrobial peptides which help to ensure intestinal integrity. These peptides are controlled by vitamin D and by possibly by serotonin and certainly by melatonin and low levels of vitamin D are therefore also a major causal factor in the gut dysbiosis. Also melatonin has been shown to inhibit the production of IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ian - you might want to look at this: http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/216

It talks about the immune system and inflammatory cytokines and a product called Moducare (composed of plant sterols AND sterolins) which is supposed to help modulate the immune system. I've been taking Moducare for some 4 months now and it has helped me so much - I was constantly fighting a sinus infection or some bug before I started the Moducare. No other product has helped me like this one. I am very curious to see if in the long wrong it affects my crashing, help lessen it.

I'd taken a product with plant sterols only quite some time ago with no benefit. But the Moducare with both sterols and sterolins is amazing. I am so glad I found it.

Mary
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

Mary, thanks for that I will look into it.
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

Mary, How did you go with John Chia?