Avinza anyone familiar with this drug?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by masondbb, Jul 22, 2006.

1. masondbb

masondbb New Member

I was just given this from my Dr. for my fibro pain just a few days ago but am still a little scared about taking it. I know it is morphine. It's just that I have to function somewhat everyday and I am afraid I will go off to sleep or something and won't be able to do what needs to be done. I have never taken this before so Im not sure what to expect my first time. Can someone give me some imput? It is only 30mg. Thanks in advance
    Deb
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

3. wangotango

wangotango New Member

there is ms contin which is a 12 hr drug and the avinza is a 24 hr long acting drug. that is the only difference. drugs like oxycontin are still only 12hr coverage drugs.
    i was on 30 mgs and 60mgs avinza for about a year.
    be well bill m
  4. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi, I have been on Avinza for over a year and it has helped me a lot. I am not totally pain-free, some days are better than others. But overall, it has been a blessing in disguise. I have connective tissue disease as well as fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome.

It does not make me sleepy during the day. The only time I notice it makes me a bit sleepy is when I take it in the morning and then lie in bed for a few minutes, then I feel like I could drift back to sleep.

When I first started taking it, I was apprehensive too. Especially since it is morphine and I had never taken something so strong. The only side effect at first was a bit of sleepiness and dizziness, but that went away in a couple of days. Another side effect that stays with me is constipation, but I drink lots of water, eat a high fiber diet and take magnesium and that helps. I take a stool softener at times too. I also am on Morphine IR for breakthrough pain and take them only when needed.

I hope this helps!!

Sheri