Awaiting diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dizzidally, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dizzidally

dizzidally New Member

I am waiting go see a consultant to diagnose Fibromyalgia. For many years of telling doctors of my fatigue and exhaustion,it always fell on deaf ears. Three years ago I was diagnosed with irritable bowel and bladder. Over the last year I have chronic headaches, accompanied with stabbing pains, which seem to worsen with exersion and/or stress. One doctor said that my headaches were due to taking paracetamol, another doctor said that everyone gets tired. I had seen a rheumatologist three years ago due to lower back pain and stiffness, and pain in hands, especially in cold weather. They tested for arthritis, but this was negative. 18 months ago I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I thought the fatigue would disappear when taking thyroxin, but still I continued to fell exhausted. Six weeks ago I woke up with a stiff neck, numbness, tingling, in arms, muscle spasms in legs. I had xrays as it was thought I may have a trapped nerve, but 5 weeks later the pain was still severe and causing the headaches that I had been used to over the last year. The xrays showed no reason for the pain. I went back to the doctor(a new doctor),and expained my other symptoms and she suggested I may have Fibromyalgia. I was prescribed 10-20mg of Amitryptiline to take at night. So now I am waiting to see a consultant. I am still off work(Home Care Assistant,for local council) and this week I have to endure 2 council managers visiting me at home to identify why I am not back at work. My job involves alot of driving, which causes me pain and also the doctor told me not to drive whilst taking the Amitryptiline. I am scared I will lose my job, even though the doctor has written to them to ask for me to be put on a lighter round, but they have not yet offered me an alternative round. I was working 3/4 evenings, per week which involved 5hrs working without a break. As you can imagine I was shattered,and ached all over. I laid at home during the day before work just to be able to go in the evening. My partner never seemed tired, she also worked during the day. I felt like I'd run the London Marathon. Has anyone else had similar problems?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

fibromyalgia symptoms to me. At least it sounds a lot like mine!

Regarding the doctor's advice on not driving while taking Amitryptiline, I think he probably meant not to drive if you find it makes you sleepy. It is usually prescribed to help with the insomnia and poor-sleep-quality issues. I take a larger dose than you have been prescribed and have not found it interferes with my driving when I need to do so.

Have they prescribed something to help with the tense muscles and spasms yet? I began feeling much better once I had a muscle relaxant to take when necessary. It helped a lot with the general aching too.

I just wish they had something to help with the horrible fatigue!

I hope you're able to get a firm diagnosis and a lighter work assignment. It's horrible to have to struggle from day to day.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. dizzidally

dizzidally New Member

I had been prescribed naproxen and co-codamol. This was for the suspected trapped nerve. I had been taking it for five weeks, with no relief at all. I've stopped taking it now as it was having no affect. I thought there was no point poisoning my body with drugs that have no affect. The doctor didn't want to prescribe anything other than the Amitrypiline in case it affected the diagnosis. Don't know how long I'll have to wait to see a consultant, maybe months, this is the NHS in the UK!!!
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

& hope that after you get a firm diagnosis they will be able to treat you with a plan that will give you some relief. I do use meds & PT but there are plenty of other options available that help.

Good Luck

Kelly
  5. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

It all sounds like FMS to me. I have headaches alot along with the stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders. I even have pain in my jaw and feel I can;t get the muscles to relax.
    I hope you have found a doctor who will now listen and help you. Best wishes.