awarded s.s.d. but won't get it till oct

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ronn, Jun 30, 2003.

1. ronn

ronn New Member

Iwas awarded ssd but I was off work from Aug. 2002 they said according to ss Ididn't qualify till march 2003 so will get first check in oct. 2003 will I get back pay from March? I'm glad I got it but some people say I will and others say no any input would be appreciated
    Thanks Ronn
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know how long it takes them to make a payment, but I just want to congratulate you on winning your case.

Love, Mikie
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think you do get "back pay" from the date you qualify. Since that's not a definitive answer, this is mostly a bump! :)

Maybe changing the name of your topic might get speedier results, or maybe someone with the answer will be on later.[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2003]
  4. ronn

ronn New Member

thanks for the come back
    Ronn
  5. ronn

ronn New Member

I don't know how to reword my question please help
    thanks alot for the come back I'm kind of new to this
    Thanks a lot for the come back
    Ronn
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

You have to be disabled for 5 months before you can be eligible to recieve a check. They do not pay you for those 5 months. You say you havnt worked since Aug. 2002 but that ssd says you didnt become eligible till March 2003. It is hard to tell if this means they didnt consider you disabled until March 2003 and 5 months from them you will get your first check in Oct. 2003. Being out of work and when you became legally disabled are not necessarilly the same things so its hard to tell for sure. Best bet is not to count on it and then if you do get a lump sum celebrate. Congratulations.
  7. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Ronn, there is a 6-month waiting period to qualify. Sounds like that was up in March.

When did you call them to apply? I know that's called your protected filing date and am pretty sure that's when they'll give you "back pay" to, as opposed to when you became eligible (they sure as heck aren't going to pay me back to 1998 when I finally get approved).

As for a new title, you could call it something like: "does SS they give you back pay?" or something. I'm not much help because I wasn't approved the first time I applied
  8. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Ronn,
    My understanding is that you need to be out from work for at least 6 months to qualify; but once you are approved they go back to the date you first came out of work.

Jan ^v^
  9. ronn

ronn New Member

I think your right I'll just wait it out thanks for the come back
  10. ronn

ronn New Member

Thanks for the info I'm going to sit back and wait and see what ever I'm happy I didn't use a lawyer so I'm happy one way or the other
    Thanks again Ronn
  11. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

It certainly is a long haul. I just received a favorable award last month and am waiting for my retro check,,,was told 30 - 90 days.

Call your local Social Security office,,,if you have received a favorable award, you will be in the computer and they can give you all that information over the phone,,,i.e. amount of monthly benefits and beginning date of back award. I had several questions, so make sure to jot down some notes.

Best of luck. Tulip
  12. Dara

Dara New Member

The last day I worked was 11/20/01, I filed in 2/2002. I received my favorable award in April of 2003. According to the ALJ, my disability began on 11/21/01, my SSD payments start six months after that, which would be May 2002. I received a retro check starting with May 2002 up to the current month. I was also told that it could take up to 90 days to receive the back pay. I received mine in less than thirty days.

Dara
  13. ronn

ronn New Member

Thank you for the come back. I'm just going to ride it out
    thanks to all of you
    Ronn
  14. ronn

ronn New Member

what happened with me was that they seemed to go along with there dr. more than my rhumy
    thanks to all of you